Controversial opinions on metal

It's all classic 50's jazz and early rock and roll pretty much, I didn't even list half the albums I could have, those are just some of the best.

I've listened to the full discographies of every last one of 'em, and they're all musicians I absolutely worship. That ultra-technical jazz from the 50's and 60's is among of my favorite music ever.

Reactions: Baroque
Great stuff. You almost have to listen to music like Coltrane before you can appreciate prog metal and extreme prog.
Couldn't agree more. Little Richard is also essential if you want to ever claim yourself a fan of rock and roll. That hard-driving boogie piano thumping and those otherworldly, rapid-fire, diaphragm-crushing vocal runs, backed by a session band tighter than a duck's ass, it's perfection in musical form.

Progressive anything is great, so long as metal isn't involved. Progressive metal can lick the wrinkliest part of my balls.

Fates Warning, and Voivod are great but I will say prog rock from the late 60s, and 70s was far superior to prog metal for the most part especially if you include stuff like Krautrock, electronic progressive, Zeuhl, and avant-prog in general.

I dig Fates Warning (as with anything there are exceptions to the rule) but I don't even like Voivod tbh. They get a blank stare every time I've tried to sit through an album.

I dig Fates Warning (as with anything there are exceptions to the rule) but I don't even like Voivod tbh. They get a blank stare every time I've tried to sit through an album.

Voivod falls further into the realm of being an acquired taste so not a band I expect everyone to like.

I also want to say that Industrial was much better without the metal. Also pretty sure no one considers them metal but one opinion I have that tends to get a ton of flack is that Nine Inch Nails sucks.

Reactions: CiG
NIN does suck. Agreed.

And I dunno I just find the entire concept of progressive metal to be repugnant to my own tastes. I believe metal is best when it's simplistic, raw, and stripped-down. As a general rule, the more wank, the worse metal gets imo.

That is why (aside from rare exceptions) I believe technical metal sucks dick also. It's just sports.

Couldn't agree more. Little Richard is also essential if you want to ever claim yourself a fan of rock and roll. That hard-driving boogie piano thumping and those otherworldly, rapid-fire, diaphragm-crushing vocal runs, backed by a session band tighter than a duck's ass, it's perfection in musical form.

yes sir. my grandad was into all that shit, you guys would've got on. thelonious monk and little richard were among his favs in jazz and rock respectively.

i've probably said this to you before but my holy grail of '50s rnr is this bad boy:

When it comes to music from the 50s I'm more of a Chanson guy. I like stuff like Leo Ferre, Charles Aznavour, Serge Gainsbourg, and Jacques Brel neither of which wrote their best material in the 50s but were active at the time.

Also I love prog yet to be honest I can't get into jazz like Miles Davis. I like Django Reinhardt though.

Your grandfather had superb taste. Johnny Burnette is fantastic, and no, I don't believe you've memtioned your adoration of him to me before now. My favorite 50's rockers are Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly/Buddy Holly and The Crickets, Elvis Presley, Eddie Cochran, Fats Domino, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Carl Perkins, Ritchie Valens, Bo Diddley, Link Wray, etc.

And I dunno I just find the entire concept of progressive metal to be repugnant to my own tastes. I believe metal is best when it's simplistic, raw, and stripped-down. As a general rule, the more wank, the worse metal gets imo.

That is why (aside from rare exceptions) I believe technical metal sucks dick also. It's just sports.

I would argue that "simplistic, raw, and stripped-down" is not an aesthetic that is native to metal. The purest forms of metal generally do not adhere to it It's mostly the influence of hardcore punk that lends such an ideal, e.g., early Bathory. Since that influence has been around for so long, it's attained a naturalized status within the sphere of metal. But do you really believe that metal at its best can only come from that millieu? What about epic doom metal?

I think black metal should be always retain a certain degree of rawness, but the best stuff also has a certain grandeur to it. However, I dislike the term "simplistic" to describe any great metal. That has connotations of dilution and dumbing-down. "Minimalistic" is a more apt term.

As far as progressive metal, a lot of it doesn't interest me. The bands I do like usually overlap with another genre, such as progressive power metal (Symphony X) or progressive black metal (Enslaved, Negura Bunget).