Controversial opinions on metal

I always thought Iron Man was pretty shit and it wasn't until I heard Sabbath Bloody Sabbath with its complexities and dynamics that I realised they were actually good.

when I said mainstream I was meaning bands like Abba etc. I was thinking along the lines of Ozzy becoming more mainstream in the world when they did `the Osbournes` tv show etc. I mean, Im a huge fan of Randy Rhoads, and rate him highly, but they werent `mainstream`, no one heard of them outside of metal fans.

when I said mainstream I was meaning bands like Abba etc. I was thinking along the lines of Ozzy becoming more mainstream in the world when they did `the Osbournes` tv show etc. I mean, Im a huge fan of Randy Rhoads, and rate him highly, but they werent `mainstream`, no one heard of them outside of metal fans.

The concept of metal fans did not exist when their debut came out. It was a popular album and so were the next several. You're trying to act like nobody knew who Black Sabbath was in the 1970s when they were one of the most known rock bands around.

As a solo musician, Ozzy Osbourne is also one of the most successful of all time. He also is not an underground musician at all.

I mean, Sabbath wasn't the most shocking thing ever to my ears, I'd already imbibed in the rawest stuff I could find up to that point with bands like The Sonics, The Stooges, The MC5, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Blue Cheer, The Kinks, etc. However, it was something of a seismic shift, because I can't remember knowing how to categorize Sabbath initially other than that they were some sort of super mutation of hard rock. It was like they'd happened upon the secret recipe to the most epic and evil sounding coagulation of sound in musical form.
When you listen to the Sabbath debut you know you're listening to something special. Brilliant as the follow-up's were, that first album has a certain vibe to it. Difficult to describe, but when you hear it you immediately pick up on it. Even Ozzy's vocals have a somewhat different tone to them.

When you listen to the Sabbath debut you know you're listening to something special. Brilliant as the follow-up's were, that first album has a certain vibe to it. Difficult to describe, but when you hear it you immediately pick up on it. Even Ozzy's vocals have a somewhat different tone to them.
Oh, no doubt, I picked it up soon after Paranoid because I knew I had to have more by them. While not as jarring, that opening riff took me off guard entirely with just how crushing, foul, and diabolical it felt.

@TechnicalBarbarity Which is saying something given it still kicks ass, although I find Vol. 4 the most wanting of the first six personally.

yeah, i love Vol. 4. Under the Sun is one of my all time favorite songs. Funny thing is most people dont even know that track actually samples/"borrows from" Deep Purples Flight of the Rat. Although some fanboys will blatantly deny this fact.