Controversial opinions on metal

I'm still waiting for you to show me where the band members aside from Ozzy Osbourne said Black Sabbath isn't heavy metal as you claimed.

We can talk about punk bands after you do that.

I have been a lifelong fan of lots of bands, since the seventies. I read magazines that they were interviewed in before there was an internet. Around the era of NWOBHM they said it there, often. I used to have to buy magazines to get the news. Was no internet.

High profile bands like Black Sabbath have their early interviews archived on the web. If you make a claim and want to act like it's true, provide evidence of your claim.

High profile bands like Black Sabbath have their early interviews archived on the web. If you make a claim and want to act like it's true, provide evidence of your claim.

Do you have a strong feeling that compels you to have Black Sabbath pigeon-holed as a heavy metal band? you seem to have really strong feelings about this. Sabbath are pre-heavy metal, Sabbath were pioneers of hard rock. Heavy Metal came when the next generation of people whom had listened to Sabbath and others and were influenced by it, and sort of got it wrong OR made their own version of it. Heavy Metal that started maybe the 80`s? with bands like Saxon and Anvil, they are different than `Heavy Metal ` is now. All the thrash and speed metal and etc is another generation on from that. Would you call faith no more heavy metal? lol no.

I have a strong feeling that you're full of shit since you said Black Sabbath wasn't popular until recent years despite them receiving RIAA certifications for gold and multiplatinum albums in the 1970s and 1980s and playing with other massive bands such as KISS, The Eagles and Deep Purple, often as the headliner, during those times. Let me know how that could possibly be true in the face of such evidence.

I also think you're full of shit because of your wholly undocumented claims that famous musicians said something that they didn't say.

Why do you need to pigeonhole Black Sabbath as a band who doesn't play heavy metal?

Reactions: CiG
I have a strong feeling that you're full of shit since you said Black Sabbath wasn't popular until recent years despite them receiving RIAA certifications for gold and multiplatinum albums in the 1970s and 1980s and playing with other massive bands such as KISS, The Eagles and Deep Purple, often as the headliner, during those times. Let me know how that could possibly be true in the face of such evidence.

I also think you're full of shit because of your wholly undocumented claims that famous musicians said something that they didn't say.

The mainstream thing I have explained, I was meaning mainstream as in a household name, with people whom dont even like heavy rock, old grannies etc. They are mainstream rock music, of course they are. I have also said that I read about things they said in magazines that were WAY before internet. KISS could be thought of as heavy metal, though I personally would say that KISS are rock music. The Eagles are not heavy metal, they are also sort of rock, but could also be said to be a country band! - though I am not a fan of the Eagles and dont know much about them, but some tracks Ive heard of theirs seem to be country-ish

To clarify what I meant, I didnt mean by saying `underground` I didnt mean that they were unpopular! I meant they were something only hard rocks fans were liking and knowing about. They were underground and extremely popular.

Last edited:
I dont think there's a single person on this planet that thinks The Eagles are heavy metal, so i dont now why they're even being brought up in this convo.

But let me get this straight ... kiss can be thought of as heavy metal, but Sabbath are not heavy metal?

0c9e1363e76ec7c73472c182971a0c3d.jpg

Technical barbarity, I shall explain why the Eagles are in this thread, because you self-admittedly said you dont know why they are being brought up in this thread, Eric of Melnibone said that Sabbath played at a concert with the Eagles. I think that photo you posted of the Gentleman in the glasses is yourself, and I could add that no one said the Eagles ARE heavy metal. You seem a bit slow.

I would call the Sex Pistols garbage.

So not heavy metal then. See, I would call the Sex Pistols a pioneer of punk rock, and actually they are genuine punk rock, not the plastic punk bands of nowadays that are generally middle class spoiled brats. Their music is similar to hard rock though, and they admit they were `into` hard rock bands. They arent hard rock though.

So not heavy metal then. See, I would call the Sex Pistols a pioneer of punk rock, and actually they are genuine punk rock, not the plastic punk bands of nowadays that are generally middle class spoiled brats. Their music is similar to hard rock though, and they admit they were `into` hard rock bands. They arent hard rock though.

Do you know how the Sex Pistols came into being? They were basically manufactured by a clothes designer named Malcolm McLaren who only thought of punk as a fashion statement which is why he replaced their bassist who could play his instrument fine with a no talent hack named Sid Vicious who was nothing more than a mascot there to advertise the band with his attitude and looks. Malcolm would even constantly keep him on heroine while thankfully Johnny Rotten got fed up with all the bullshit and quit going on to form a much better band called Public Image LTD.

Technical barbarity, I shall explain why the Eagles are in this thread, because you self-admittedly said you dont know why they are being brought up in this thread, Eric of Melnibone said that Sabbath played at a concert with the Eagles. I think that photo you posted of the Gentleman in the glasses is yourself, and I could add that no one said the Eagles ARE heavy metal. You seem a bit slow.

KISS were pre-heavy metal, and were rock music in the seventies. They also did a disco-rock album. I wouldnt call them heavy metal. The reason I said they could sort of be called heavy metal is because of things like Simmons wearing studs on his jackets and the nature of SOME of their stage costumes and stage sets.

Do you know how the Sex Pistols came into being? They were basically manufactured by a clothes designer named Malcolm McLaren who only thought of punk as a fashion statement which is why he replaced their bassist who could play his instrument fine with a no talent hack named Sid Vicious who was nothing more than a mascot there to advertise the band with his attitude and looks. Malcolm would even constantly keep him on heroine while thankfully Johnny Rotten got fed up with all the bullshit and quit going on to form a much better band called Public Image LTD.

Yes! thats correct. I know the history of them, I was alive and saw it all around me. Some of them were influences by `the New York Dolls`, I am not a punk rocker, though I like the Sex Pistols, I would say the New York Dolls started punk rock off, unintentionally, and were further helped by the Pistols. It is subjective conjecture as to wether PIL were a `better` band though.

See the i dont read most of the posts that have your name attached to it since you seem to be so clueless. Also that guy saying they played at a concert with Sabbath has nothing to do with the Eagles being metal or not, so talking about what genre they are is completely irrelevant. But yeah, we needed you to tell us that they arent a heavy metal band, thanks.