Controversial opinions on metal

Back then Korn seemed to be too teenagey for me to like it, I felt awkward listening to it. Now when I think I could appreciate it nonetheless it seems outdated and silly. It's kinda like HamburgerBoy's face in terms of how it ages.

Last edited:
Reactions: HamburgerBoy
I wouldn't be able to seperate Korn from Converge from Slipknot from Pantera or whatever you guess talk about. :)

tenor.gif

I'm flat out calling bullshit that you dont know what Korn/Slipknot/Pantera sound like.
Well, I might have thrown in Pantera for trolling reasons but other than that, no not really. I mean I've heard them obv but I've never listened to them, you know sat down and put on one of their albums. So no I wouldn't say I could point out Korn or Slipknot if I heard one of their songs. Why is that strange?

Which of these 5 bands is bad? Also, which two Korn albums are good? :tickled: If you consider that Korn is better than those bands you mentioned, you're a fool.

Clutch is totally irredeemable, the most bland and basic radio-stoner in existence, prove me wrong. They make Korn sound like Incantation.

Paradise Lost is goth shit past their first couple (and even there it's very borderline sometimes), and you seem to prefer their later stuff anyways.

In Flames is angsty, it's over-produced, it's overly-emotive. In terms of sheer maturity, there is no difference between them and Korn. The difference is that Korn has some good rhythms and once had inventive ideas, whereas In Flames at their best represents a failed union between saccharine metal melodies and pseudo-extreme metal, and at their worst are slick radio metal. Actually, I'm not sure their early stuff is even that much better than their radio stuff, there are definite 0/10 songs in their 96-99 period. Certainly Children of Bodom had better riffs than In Flames, and I don't see a world where Bodom fans shit on Korn either.

Converge is like the ultimate non-metal-for-metal-people band. I think they're OK actually, their earlier stuff is decent and basically almost thrash metal, the stuff they're more famous for is sometimes good, but I don't really see what makes Korn that much different in terms of whatever elitist in-crowd factor is going on.

Radiohead is for normies you fucking normie.

You have quite a few Radiohead scrobbles yourself.

Yeah I've tried giving them a chance and don't actually hate them. They have some good stuff I suppose, but I don't find them worth caring about.

Like, someone tell me that the down-tuned whiny screamy chuggy mess of

Is, in terms of tr00 musical taste and maturity and all that garbage, any different from Korn. Like wow it's a little more dissonant and less syncopated and sometimes has a stilted prog feel and the vocals are more harsh, who gives a shit when the offending agents are exactly the same.

Back then Korn seemed to be too teenagey for me to like it, I felt awkward listening to it. Now when I think I could appreciate it nonetheless it seems outdated and silly.
You know, I've never been one to use terms like "dated" or "outdated" as a negative criticism simply because I feel things should be viewed in the context of the time they were created in. This goes for music, films, books, ect... Nu metal however has long been an exception that that rule for a few reasons. The biggest for me being that it really doesn't have that long of a shelf life and its heyday was condensed to such a short period of time, it really does sound dated as all fuck and its difficult when hearing it to not automatically be mentally transported back to the late 90's/early 2000's when oversized pants and spikey hair in a variety of funky colors were all the rage.

I'll give Korn credit for longevity though. They've somehow managed to stick around while so many of the bands that followed in their wake vanished after 2 albums or so. I guess that says something about being at the forefront of a sound rather than an imitator.

I've tried and failed to get into Clutch several times. I have a bunch of mates that think they're great but everything I've heard just sounds bland as fuck.

I used to sort of like Paradise Lost back when they put out Gothic but I listened to it again recently and thought it was pretty terrible.

I'd rather listen to Korn all day than one In Flames song.

You know, I've never been one to use terms like "dated" or "outdated" as a negative criticism simply because I feel things should be viewed in the context of the time they were created in. This goes for music, films, books, ect... Nu metal however has long been an exception that that rule for a few reasons. The biggest for me being that it really doesn't have that long of a shelf life and its heyday was condensed to such a short period of time, it really does sound dated as all fuck and its difficult when hearing it to not automatically be mentally transported back to the late 90's/early 2000's when oversized pants and spikey hair in a variety of funky colors were all the rage.
That was a strange time. I used to wear size 38 hemp jeans, XXL tshirts and had a long chin braid with a bead on the end of it. Maybe that's why I'm not averse to blasting some early Korn every now and then.

I'll give Korn credit for longevity though. They've somehow managed to stick around while so many of the bands that followed in their wake vanished after 2 albums or so. I guess that says something about being at the forefront of a sound rather than an imitator.
I think they're biding their time until they're cool again.

Everything seems dated when ones formative years are spent around it. My mom thinks 70s rock and pop are extremely dated, many will swear the stuff is timeless and the greatest period of music and etc. Timelessness is pretty much a meme.

Regarding Korn past Life is Peachy, I've always liked Untouchables too. It's regarded as one of their least inspired and most plain, and in a way I can kinda hear that, but it's a solid set of good groovy numbers and a bit riffier. Almost closer to Helmet and whatnot. It's like their No Prayer for the Dying.

How has me saying the song "isn't terrible" been warped into me saying I like it lol. It's listenable. On the other hand, Converge are definitely unlistenable. Absolutely headache-inducing.

Moar nu-metal that's better than Converge. Possibly even more angsty and edgy than that Korn song and even more jumping da fuck up.

What the fuck, Converge are so much better and more listenable than Slipknot and Korn...

I'm not a fan of Type O either tbh. :lol:

That's okay.

I'm sure any seasoned in-crowder is able to multi-task fart-sniffing and harrumphing and any other activity.

I was implying that listening to Korn and huffing asshole fumes are synonymous you wanker. :rolleyes::D

Reactions: The Butt