Controversial opinions on metal

As far as popular culture goes, metal has been irrelevant since the 90s. Rap in particular replaced it as the go to music youth in their so called "rebellious" years listen to.

As far as popular culture goes, metal has been irrelevant since the 90s. Rap in particular replaced it as the go to music youth in their so called "rebellious" years listen to.

There's nothing rebellious about listening to hip-hop as a kid unless you live in an extremely conservative family. As far as I can tell, it's not really treated as an adolescent form of music either. The cool kids don't disavow listening to hip-hop when they reach adulthood.

Reactions: elohimeth and Dak
I barely listen to hip hop anymore. I have some that I really like but I just never get in the mood to listen to any hip hop outside of older Tupac on a regular basis.

There's nothing rebellious about listening to hip-hop as a kid unless you live in an extremely conservative family. As far as I can tell, it's not really treated as an adolescent form of music either. The cool kids don't disavow listening to hip-hop when they reach adulthood.

Perhaps but it has indeed replaced metal and even rock when it comes to popular music. Take the omnipresent rap verse in a lot of popular songs today. Before then the guitar solo was commonly used.

IIRC, some recent research (which will probably shortly fail to be replicated based on current trends) found that the two music styles most strongly, negatively correlated with IQ were rap/hiphop and gospel.

I personally prefer the vocally oriented bands. Female singers have come a long way and many of them are world class vocalists. There is the big problem, at in my opinion, that male singers are not doing enough and generally aren't very good singers. We haven't heard any improvement in male singers since the early 90s. I think the last real good male singer was Roy Khan of Kamelot and he sounded great on the karma album. Nothing good since then. If fact, make singers are becoming unbearable to listen to. All they do is bark or growl and when that is all you hear it gets boring real fast! So I'm bored of mediocre singers and would like to see male singers do what can easily be done and surpass the great vocalists of the 80s.

I sense butthurt. Are you ok? Do you require hemorrhoid cream?

I can order it and have it mailed direct to you.

Last edited:
You aren't really one to talk since almost all of your posts fall into one of these three categories:

A. Complaining about Manilla Road.
B. Complaining about the in-crowd.
C. Complaining about fat jokes.

Reactions: The Butt
*rolls d6*

I think you mean

*draws card*

Image.ashx

Reactions: The Ozzman