Controversial opinions on metal

I think you mean

*draws card*

Image.ashx

Either way. I haven't played MTG in years.

"Ozzman made fun of something I like, I guess it's time to make fun of...

*rolls d6*

his weight!"
If youre gonna be rolling anything may as well be D20s since you share a shape.

Also I didn't even pay much attention to what you were making fun of really, I kind of forgot. I was in it for the drive-by.

(Also I said drive-by not drive-thru, don't get excited)

Last edited:
Rust in Peace isn't a thrash metal album, let alone the genre's best. If it didn't end weak it could have been the band's peak, though.

Reactions: Sirjack
Pretty much.

Hangar 18 - trad metal with a little bit of edge, a little hard to find a comparison to, but there's a song by the obscure metal-punk band The Beast that had a similar vibe and chord progression independent of The Call of Ktulu
Poison Was the Cure - tweedly speed metal ala Back in the Village
Lucretia - groovy trad metal ala Innocent Exile
Tornado of Souls - main riff is almost punk rock, way too poppy to be thrash
Rust in Peace... Polaris - a trad metal song written in 1982 with a few thrashy moments appended later

And even the main Holy Wars riff is a slightly sped-up version of Sacred Blade's Of the Sun + Moon riff (a band which toured as an opener for Megadeth in 1986).

Pretty much.

Hangar 18 - trad metal with a little bit of edge, a little hard to find a comparison to, but there's a song by the obscure metal-punk band The Beast that had a similar vibe and chord progression independent of The Call of Ktulu
Poison Was the Cure - tweedly speed metal ala Back in the Village
Lucretia - groovy trad metal ala Innocent Exile
Tornado of Souls - main riff is almost punk rock, way too poppy to be thrash
Rust in Peace... Polaris - a trad metal song written in 1982 with a few thrashy moments appended later

And even the main Holy Wars riff is a slightly sped-up version of Sacred Blade's Of the Sun + Moon riff (a band which toured as an opener for Megadeth in 1986).

Playing that game I am sure we can twist things enough so as to make A Blaze in the Northern Sky a power metal album.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
I mean it clearly is. The fuzzy production and extreme guitar distortion is just there to obscure and hide the fact Darkthrone are making use of wholly trad/power metal technique.

Take Kathaarian Life Code for example. An entirely traditionally structured song lifted straight from the books of Omen and Metal Church. Only the unobservant would be fooled by Darkthrone’s shallow attempts to hide this with a low-fi production job and harsh vocals. Similarly, the dark themes and vocals attempt to betray what is at heart, flowery music in the vein of European power metal.

Violent drumming and blast-beats aside, A Blaze in the Northern Sky is a trad/power metal record dressed up in an attempt to confuse those who don’t know any better. Laughably considered ahead of its time for 1992, it is clear that this record wasn’t innovative at all, considering all its similarities and blatant imitation of trad and power metal released in the 80s. Infact, its only noteworthy contribution was its use of aesthetic to distort this fact and fool listeners into thinking this was something new.

Last edited:
Playing that game I am sure we can twist things enough so as to make A Blaze in the Northern Sky a power metal album.

Where Cold Winds Blow is pretty death metal-y but nah.

Name three albums from the 1983 - 1990 period commonly referred to as thrash which contain less thrash than Rust in Peace.

Name three albums from the 1983 - 1990 period commonly referred to as thrash which contain less thrash than Rust in Peace.
The thing about that is that thrash metal albums are generally referred to as thrash metal albums because they are thrash metal albums that contain thrash metal.

Reactions: Dak
The thing about that is that thrash metal albums are generally referred to as thrash metal albums because they are thrash metal albums that contain thrash metal.

So do you really think that Hangar 18 and Lucretia sound like thrash metal? What are some other thrash metal songs that you would compare to them? (Hard mode: don't mention the first two Anthrax albums.)

Voyager truly is a modern day classic. Unfortunately I think that any Vanilla Toad album after that doesn't reach the same heights and should sort of, try to be more like that. It's so epic and well worked-out.