Controversial opinions on metal

It's probably already been said, but King Diamond's vocals sound absolutely terrible. Way too high, 80s as hell, and kinda gay. I'm just saying this now because I just got through listening to a Mercyful Fate CD.
Are there any high vocals you like? It seems to me that you listen to your music based on non-musical factors, like how 'gay' you think the sound is.

Are there any high vocals you like? It seems to me that you listen to your music based on non-musical factors, like how 'gay' you think the sound is.
Well, I don't mind Maiden's or Priest's vocals. And vocals are not a "non-musical factor." "Gay" was really the wrong term. The vocals sound kind of effeminate, and that kind of turns me off to them. I like the music, but King Diamond's vocals ruin it.

Well, I don't mind Maiden's or Priest's vocals. And vocals are not a "non-musical factor." "Gay" was really the wrong term. The vocals sound kind of effeminate, and that kind of turns me off to them. I like the music, but King Diamond's vocals ruin it.
Alright I can accept that. I like King Diamonds vocals mostly because they sound ridiculous as hell. It reminds me of a circus.
Also, Ozz, I think he was talking about LS not you.

Alright I can accept that. I like King Diamonds vocals mostly because they sound ridiculous as hell. It reminds me of a circus.
Also, Ozz, I think he was talking about LS not you.
Yes, KD's vocals do sound ridiculous. And that is why I don't like them. They sound ridiculous in a very 80s cheesy way. The falsetto almost sounds like a screaming woman in an 80s rock band.

:cool:
Obviously they can't be approached like Anthems and Nightside, which are full-on black metal. Prometheus and Equilibrium are a real mix of stuff and should thus be listened to repeatedly while playing FFX, in between Dokken and Ratt albums. Or at least, that worked for me.

:cool:
Obviously they can't be approached like Anthems and Nightside, which are full-on black metal. Prometheus and Equilibrium are a real mix of stuff and should thus be listened to repeatedly while playing FFX, in between Dokken and Ratt albums. Or at least, that worked for me.
Whenever I'm doing something other than actively listening, my quality standards go down alot.

The first time I listen to an album I always listen very actively. Then on subsequent listens I'll do other stuff. If I think I've changed my mind about an album I'll then listen to it actively again.

seriously... some of you FAIL at metal... 'Anthems' isn't worth listening to? King Diamond... bad vocals?!

seriously... some of you FAIL at metal... 'Anthems' isn't worth listening to? King Diamond... bad vocals?!

I can't stand KD's vocals either. Their music is great, though.

Can't say anything about Emperor's early work, only listened to a couple songs off Anthems and Nightside. Prometheus is an instereting album. Equilibrium is meh.

Seriously, go give Prometheus and Equilibrium another spin, great albums.

Prometheus is awesome. I think Equilibrium suffers a lot though. Anthems is great too. Whoever says Nightside is great & Anthems is shit is just trying to be an asshole. There's this guy on another forum I post at who says Nightside is the best black metal album ever made & Anthems is the worst :lol: Why in the hell is it all or nothing with some fuckers???

& The King is an awesome singer. He has his own style.