Controversial opinions on metal

I don't even have Hero, Hero. The label cashed in big time after Priest went big time in the 80s.

the comps I have are Tyrant, the original masters and Judas Priest - the collection (with same artwork as Hero, Hero.

makes me wonder if the Tyrant one (the better of the two) really is the originals put onto the CD. Could be.

Gull Records actually owns Judas Priest's first two albums (Priest signed them over to get out of the contract and go with a less shitty label), which is the reason for the never-ending ripoff parade.

Maybe they should do a 'live' album of those songs or something done really well.

If Rob's up to it though.

MCR aren't the worst thing ever. The black parade has classic rock elements, which make it decent imo. Don't like all of their sound.

I agree. Very different from the first 4, but I actually really dig some of the songs. The lyrics are generally stupid, but w/e, it's heavy metal.

i would've been majorly disappointed by it at the time of release as it's watered down to buggery and the band could blatantly have made every one of these songs 5 times better, but yeah there's only one completely worthless track ('the struggle within').

i think overexposure really hurts this album, i bet hardly anyone here can stand listening to 'enter sandman', 'sad but true', 'nothing else matters' etc these days, i know i can't.

the 'my friend of misery' chorus is the worst part of the album and single-handedly ruins the song for me (this was the case even back when this was the only metal album i owned). a couple of the other songs are just ok, but much of it is cool and sometimes pretty awesome, i will always love 'of wolf & man' and 'wherever i may roam'. still struggle to shake that sense that they could've done so much more with even those songs though..

I can't, but that's because I've heard them so many times.
Of Wolf And Man genuinely gave me chills back in the day 4 years ago.
Dark Tranquility's cover of "My Friend of Misery" is approximately 100 times better than the original.

i don't like DT's cover either, seemed awkward. same with me where of wolf and man's concerned - there are several moments that absolutely blew me away as a layman actually. the way don't tread on me comes into the verse (after the stupid opening obviously), 'THE NEVER...COMES! ch-ch ch-ch ch-ch', the way the first of wolf and man verse goes back into that riff maintaining the tension in a way no mainstream band ever would, hell even the my friend of misery verse seemed so sinister to me back then. which is why i hated the anti-climactic chorus so much i guess.

so many of these moments seem pretty par for the course now though, and that's not due to overexposure, just an annihilation of the innocence i had back then. so many bands do all these things with more subtlety, artistry, poetry, power, etcetc, including metallica themselves in their hayday.

"Enter Sandman" still sounds too familiar to me to be of any nostalgic value.I agree, it's one of the weaker tracks. The Struggle Within is a song I don't think I've ever liked, seems like it was simply tacked on at the end, and doesn't even belong on the album.
The rest of the self-titled, however, is rocking solid. Hetfield's vocals are much weaker than on Justice, and he starts prolonging notes which simply sounds forced most of the time( I see faith in your eyeeees, sounds like ass:p), yet still, even with all its flaws I find the record highly enjoyable. It's over an hour long, but feels shorter, which is always a sign you're having fun listening to it.:)

The album has extreme sentimental value to me, and I very rarely listen to it or hear any songs from it, so whenever I listen to it, I still find myself enjoying all of the songs, though the first third of the album is the weakest. I don't see the problem with The Struggle Within. My favorites are definitely Wherever I May Roam, Of Wolf And Man, and The God That Failed, and I also really like Through The Never and My Friend Of Misery.

The album has extreme sentimental value to me, and I very rarely listen to it or hear any songs from it, so whenever I listen to it, I still find myself enjoying all of the songs, though the first third of the album is the weakest. I don't see the problem with The Struggle Within. My favorites are definitely Wherever I May Roam, Of Wolf And Man, and The God That Failed, and I also really like Through The Never and My Friend Of Misery.

I enjoy that album also. It got me into metal... so I won't speak bad of it. Most of the songs are pretty good... just classic heavy metal right there.
Best songs for me... hmmm.... My Friend of Misery; Sad But True; Wherever I May Roam; The Unforgiven; Nothing Else Matters. :cool:

I also enjoyed Metallicas s/t. Enter Sandman is weak and "nothing else matters" is way overplayed (to the point where I dont really care for it anymore) but it has a few other gems. Overall a good album. NOt the greatest metal record ever as some would say but certainly not bad as others would have it.

I don't recall ever seeing Nec talk about Metallica before. Seems weird that he'd care so much about that of all albums.

i could windmill my dick against a guitar for 14 hours and it would be pretty complex and pretty thrashy but just like with death magnetic i'd have a huge pain in my penis by the end