Controversial opinions on metal

ITNE is a more perfect album, more consistent and all-around awesome. But, Anthems has more of those "nirvana" moments that I crave.

as much as i love anthems i've always felt that it was too short... like it needed one more track. nightside however seems perfectly complete.

Anthems and Nightside both rule, fuck the haters.

ITNE is a more perfect album, more consistent and all-around awesome. But, Anthems has more of those "nirvana" moments that I crave.

Out of curiosity, what are some of those moments?

obviously it's worth listening to from a purely academic *hear the most popular/debated metal albums* perspective, it's pretty obvious i was saying it's shit :rolleyes:
out of curiosity, why did you quote me? I was responding to Ozzman, as I understood your comment and wasn't arguing that.

That's metal for you.
Yeah, I'm getting really pissed off that every time I think I'm getting close to having all the classics and essentials I find a shitload more.

Honestly, if you do not think ITNE is a great album I really honestly think you need to get new ears and you simply cannot be my friend. It is seriously one of the best black metal albums ever created.

Friend!

Out of curiosity, what are some of those moments?

A clear majority of the album, actually. But the best ones include "Ensorcelled By Khaos" 4:57-5:45, "The Loss & Curse of Reverence" 0:52-2:35, and almost all of "Ye Entrancemperium" and "The Acclamation of Bonds". But nearly every second of this album is pure gold.

A clear majority of the album, actually. But the best ones include "Ensorcelled By Khaos" 4:57-5:45, "The Loss & Curse of Reverence" 0:52-2:35, and almost all of "Ye Entrancemperium" and "The Acclamation of Bonds". But nearly every second of this album is pure gold.

It's been a while since I've listened to it but I remember 'Ye Entrancemperium' being pretty awesome. I just felt like all the interesting ideas ran dry after 'Thus Spake the Nightspirit'.

Ensorcelled is my fav on that album and probably my fav Emperor track... I like the 6/8 section with the piano part the most on that one.

I really like Ihsahns clean vocals on With Strength I Burn. Some don't like them, but I think they're fucking epic.

Listen to something from the first album, like Towards the Pantheon or The Majesty of the Nightsky.

After all this discussion I too listened to Anthems... for the first time in years and found myself skipping every song except Ye Entrancemperium and The Wanderer. I don't like it at all.

I guess I never mentioned how long it took me to get into Anthems, I'm talking a few months, during most of which time I only really liked "The Acclamation of Bonds", then slowly it grew on me until it began to surpass every other album I loved.

As good as Sad Wings of Destiny is, it is damaged by a couple of filler songs that were thrown in to replace the few classic songs that Gull Records allowed to be put on Rocka Rolla, namely "Epitaph" and "Island of Domination". Had "Run of the Mill" and "Winter" been on Sad Wings, it would've been a match for Stained Class. In fact, I just came up with just such a tracklist that would fit on an LP record, with songs spliced directly in from the first two Priest albums:

SIDE A (21:39)
1. Prelude (2:02)
2. Tyrant (4:27)
3. The Ripper (2:51)
4. Winter (6:33)
5. Genocide (5:46)

SIDE B (25:04)
6. Victim of Changes (7:54)
7. Run of the Mill (8:34)
8. Dreamer Deceiver (8:36)

The running time for "Dreamer Deceiver" includes "Deceiver", because I consider the latter to be the end of the former, not a separate song. This tracklist maintains much of Sad Wings' pacing and also gives a sort of progression to the album as a whole, with shorter, more metal-oriented songs on side A and proggy songs on side B. I suppose you could also toss "Cheater" onto Side A if you really wanted to.

Of course, you could go even further and tack on the unabridged "Caviar and Meths", "Rocka Rolla", and maybe "Never Satisfied" and/or "Dying to Meet You" as a double LP a la Twin Turbos, but at that rate you might as well pick up Hero, Hero (even if that compilation is a total cash grab made without Priest's consent), and new bands never, ever got double albums in 1974.

As far as the debate about Emperor, to me, Anthems is a prime example of how production quality is more than just fidelity. Anthems is a hell of a lot clearer than Nightside, but I find its production nearly unlistenable compared to Nightside's. Anthems was produced with absolutely no breathing room in between the instruments, instead seeming to fill the entire soundscape with homogenous sound--every instrument seems to come from everywhere, so to speak. There's no depth to the production, no sense of location among the instruments. Nightside sounds like a band; Anthems sounds like a randomly scattered jumble of instruments all playing at the same tempo and meter, but with no cohesion at all.

interesting ideas but i'm pretty much fine with the album how it is, in fact i'd prob drop genocide before either of those, that song never really clicked with me

I know this isn't a controversial opinion, but just while were on the subject of swod and rocka rolla. What are the presses of those albums that gull are putting out like now?

I have two compilations of songs from both. One has to be yanked right up and it sounds rattly and horrendous (I have a half decent $800 system).

The other one hisses if I turn it up to my normal listening level for rocking out.

Pretty annoying.

There is NO filler on Sad Wings Of Destiny. What a gay thing to suggest.
:rolleyes:

Listen to "Epitaph" and then listen to "Dreamer Deceiver". It's obvious which one is a timeless classic and which one isn't. "Island of Domination" is pretty bland too, nowhere near the quality of "Tyrant", "Genocide", or "The Ripper". Or "Run of the Mill", for that matter.

I know this isn't a controversial opinion, but just while were on the subject of swod and rocka rolla. What are the presses of those albums that gull are putting out like now?

I have two compilations of songs from both. One has to be yanked right up and it sounds rattly and horrendous (I have a half decent $800 system).

The other one hisses if I turn it up to my normal listening level for rocking out.

Pretty annoying.

I thought Hero, Hero, was the only compilation. The copies of Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings themselves sound very similar to my ears, although Rocka Rolla has a somewhat more natural drum sound and Sad Wings has faint tape hiss. Both sound like they were remixed/remastered in the '80s and Gull Records added reverb and EQed them to sound more contemporary. The resulting drum tone is...weird, like if you took a typical '80s gated reverb drums (think hair metal) and chopped each snare hit off after about 300ms (because the drums were not recorded with real triggers or gated reverb and they couldn't make it ring out) and superimposed it onto an otherwise typical mid-'70s production, maybe with a bit more treble and bass.

Overall, it's not too bad, not great either. I really do appreciate the dynamics, though. Hearing the music get louder and louder during the buildup in "Dreamer Deceiver" is something you really can't experience on a modern album due to the compression, and it makes the bit where Rob screams and the distorted guitars come in a lot more powerful and moving.