Controversial opinions on metal

not necessarily, just different tastes... sorry we don't like gay non-metal music

Actually, I would agree that most people here (the ones who express their views on it, anyway) have utterly shitty taste in non-metal music. There's far more creativity in rock than in metal, but it seems for most people here priority number one in their listening habits is that the music be aggressive and evil-sounding, and most music which does not fit that mold gets ignored, or relegated to "when I need a short break from metal" music.

I think that you listen to some good non-metal bands, vihris, but I also think you listen to some terrible ones. You also clearly miss the point of why most people who like metal on this forum listen to metal, but I guess it could apply to some people.

I'm not questioning why people listen to metal at all. Everyone is entitled to listen to what they like. But having good taste in music is a different matter entirely.

Also, I realise that I listen to some shitty bands. I don't have a problem distinguishing music I like from music that is actually the result of talent in my mind. A lot of people here simply fail to do that entirely.

I don't remember when you became the official judge of whether or not people have good taste in music, but okay. I suppose you think that my taste in non-metal music is bad, too.

I'm not questioning why people listen to metal at all. Everyone is entitled to listen to what they like. But having good taste in music is a different matter entirely.

Also, I realise that I listen to some shitty bands. I don't have a problem distinguishing music I like from music that is actually the result of talent in my mind. A lot of people here simply fail to do that entirely.

Talent is never a factor in art, passion and dedication to your craft ALWAYS is the MAIN factor. Just fyi.

Talent is never a factor in art, passion and dedication to your craft ALWAYS is the MAIN factor. Just fyi.

The problem with this claim is that one can be passionately dedicated to something and still be completely brainless, with no interesting ideas to contribute to the art form whatsoever. This puts bands like Black Sabbath on the same level as the 800,000th metalcore copycat band whose every song sounds the exact same. I hope you realise that there's something amiss there.

I don't remember when you became the official judge of whether or not people have good taste in music, but okay. I suppose you think that my taste in non-metal music is bad, too.

I'm not, I just happen to think that if there is any standard for "goodness" or "badness" in art, it should be talent (or something similar to it), and I think talent can be evaluated in an objective way (even if it is very difficult to do so).

The problem with this claim is that one can be passionately dedicated to something and still be completely brainless, with no interesting ideas to contribute to the art form whatsoever

The problem with YOUR CLAIM is that you imply that talent is necessary to create good art. That's wrong. Passion and dedication to art are always the deciding factor of how relevant and "interesting" the art is. The opposite can be said re: talent as what you just said: shredding is showing off talent with no artistic relevance. I suppose a brainless Sabbath worship band is pretty worthless, but that doesn't matter, as they are clearly creating art that at least conveys something probably.

This is just incredibly relative, it's too hard to debate such a massively subjective thing as taste in music, so let's not even try.

btw talent cannot be measured quantitatively or qualitatively insofar as we haven't discovered this part of our brains yet (wishful thinking that we will, though it would make art and all discussions and displays thereof completely worthless).

The problem with YOUR CLAIM is that you imply that talent is necessary to create good art. That's wrong. Passion and dedication to art are always the deciding factor of how relevant and "interesting" the art is. The opposite can be said re: talent as what you just said: shredding is showing off talent with no artistic relevance. I suppose a brainless Sabbath worship band is pretty worthless, but that doesn't matter, as they are clearly creating art that at least conveys something probably.

This is just incredibly relative, it's too hard to debate such a massively subjective thing as taste in music, so let's not even try.

btw talent cannot be measured quantitatively or qualitatively insofar as we haven't discovered this part of our brains yet (wishful thinking that we will, though it would make art and all discussions and displays thereof completely worthless).
Talent is what allows you to put out good music, but passion for it really multiplies that. Even people full of talent suck when they don't put their all into it. That can also be reversed for dedication, you need both.

if there was such thing as 'objective quality' out there and one day we found out what that was and became able to quantify it, i would completely fucking ignore it and keep on listening to sloppy drunken black metal and tell the experts to kiss my ass