Controversial opinions on metal

skill is skill... plain and simple. you can argue against that but it is a solid fact that skill is skill. ex. sex pistols, they had no skill and didn't care... does that mean they have skill at not caring... not really, it just means they don't care. excuse the short response but i must be off to bed, have to be up at 6 (5 hours from now and i haven't had a shower yet)

Sounds like extreme metal for you, no?

I guess that's true to some extent, though it depends upon the type of extreme metal - some varieties are much broader in vision than others. I'm not so sure you can credit a very minimalistic black metal band with a narrow musical vision as being on par with a very diverse, dynamic, and constantly-evolving band. The latter seems to have much more to offer.

You're doing kind of a shallow job judging things imo. Very minimalistic black metal with a narrow musical vision can have VERY, VERY fucking much to offer in both a musical and a totally artistic sense as a diverse and dynamic band that changes styles a lot. It's ALL subjective.

You're doing kind of a shallow job judging things imo. Very minimalistic black metal with a narrow musical vision can have VERY, VERY fucking much to offer in both a musical and a totally artistic sense as a diverse and dynamic band that changes styles a lot. It's ALL subjective.

I think it's entirely possible for a band which does not confine itself to a single narrow style to incorporate all of the fundamental ideas of that sound into a broader overarching style, and therefore offer at the very least as much as the narrowly-styled band.

After a certain point, a band without any diversity ends up expressing itself so thoroughly that listening to five minutes of its material offers as much musically as listening to eight hours does (besides length, of course). That's the problem I'm getting at.

I get where V5 is coming from on that subject. Drudkh for example could play the same four riffs throughout an entire song and i would find that more amazing at that moment than something super technical/diverse.

You just completely misunderstand how music works.

Well I realise there's more to it than just diversity of ideas. Even really minimalistic stuff has a certain life and atmosphere to it which cannot be marginalised into a span of five minutes. And I think long, minimalistic songs can be very beautiful as well. It just seems unnecessary to me for a band to spend its entire career with such a narrow focus. It's hard for me to think of a minimalistic band I'd want to listen to eight straight hours of without wanting to choke myself (unless it were simply as background music).

You might like this if you're looking for some metal with brass.

Last edited by a moderator:
You would think there's potential do to so. Have you heard examples that aren't gimmicky or lame, and also don't stray too far from metal?

On another note, I would love if I never had to hear another second of Led Zeppelin in my life. Dreadful stuff.

The Melvin's Bar X The Rocking M actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh excuse me, that was simply the most poignantly elegant and tasteful use of brass ever in metal, and I'm sure that's what MoL was looking for.

I forgot Yakuza. That band actually does a pretty good job with horns (saxophone) some of the time. But the death metal-based parts are a little weak. I have no clue why they aren't in Metal Archives.

As to that clip, well, I didn't think it was awful, but the closest I come to listening to the Melvins is listening to Boris. There's a band that could get away with using some brass.