Controversial opinions on metal

I would say that if your belief that "what they do sucks" determines whether you consider them a good band, then you have no business commenting on them, because "what they do" is pretty clearly a style of music you don't appreciate.

i know this guy who's really good at raping children, but i have no business commenting on him because raping children is clearly something i don't appreciate

Overall, I think metal would be much better off if no one ever used any guitar tunings other than E (standard) and E-flat and no quantities of strings other than six. Special drop D permits may be given to bands like Morbid Angel who show that they can use it properly.

more metal bands should make use of brass instruments

As an extension to this, more "symphonic" metal bands need to realize that an orchestra consists of more than violins and violas, or $50 Casio imitations thereof.

You would think there's potential do to so. Have you heard examples that aren't gimmicky or lame, and also don't stray too far from metal?

Here you go:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzuHmS35B70]Iced Earth - Angels' Holocaust[/ame]

I tried finding the Night of the Stormrider version that has better brass and no Matt Barlow, but all the examples available were AMVs.

Led Zeppelin is horrible. I consider myself to be in my right mind, I just don't like Led Zeppelin. I'm serious, I really don't. Beatles either. Do not want. Influential? Yes, you can't deny that when bands go "I WAS INFLUENCED BY THEM" and/or you can clearly hear the influence somehow (similar aesthetic, playing style, brand of production, thematics, etc.), but there is no way to say those bands are GOOD with everyone going "yes I agree." It just doesn't happen.
+1

Led Zeppelin is horrible. I consider myself to be in my right mind, I just don't like Led Zeppelin. I'm serious, I really don't. Beatles either. Do not want.

On another note, I would love if I never had to hear another second of Led Zeppelin in my life. Dreadful stuff.

This is why I sometimes question the judgment of the said "experts."

I agree about The Beatles though. Never really liked them.

You're also a guitarist and you do not like Led Zeppelin. WTF man

Jimmy Page is way better than any guitarists in the metal genre.
I seriously doubt that Jimmy page is better than every metal guitarist. Yes, Led Zeppelin were good musicians and songwriters, but I just can't get into their music at all. The only Led Zeppelin song I've heard that I've kind of liked is Communication Breakdown. And I've heard A LOT of Led Zeppelin songs. There is no written rule that as a guitarist I must like Zeppelin. I've been playing guitar for almost 19 years and I know music theory like the back of my hand, yet I still don't like their music.

Interesting that that's one of the fastest songs they did. I think they've got plenty of material that's similar in mood but just not as outright aggressive.

I seriously doubt that Jimmy page is better than every metal guitarist. Yes, Led Zeppelin were good musicians and songwriters, but I just can't get into their music at all. The only Led Zeppelin song I've heard that I've kind of liked is Communication Breakdown. And I've heard A LOT of Led Zeppelin songs. There is no written rule that as a guitarist I must like Zeppelin. I've been playing guitar for almost 19 years and I know music theory like the back of my hand, yet I still don't like their music.

I've probably been playing for 8,9 years at this point and use books and only took lessons in 6th grade :)

Over the past couple months I have become a complete relativist about music taste. I began thinking "I like Goregrind and Rap music, what business do I have criticizing others' taste?". Also a lot of what No Country for Old Wainds has been saying has influenced me. What matters to me is what I like, and to a lesser extend why I like it. There are bands I dislike and I won't shy away from saying so, but assigning different levels of how good someone's taste is based on various properties of music is an impossibility.

I just hate it when people have no clue on expanding into other forms of music. There is an endless amount of good music that people should look into, not just metal. That goes for Cookiecutter, he is 1000% more advanced than most people on this board because he has expanded from just brutal death metal.

I would love to get people to expand their musical tastes on this board. I have made one micromix and plan to make another one soon for everyone.

Over the past couple months I have become a complete relativist about music taste. I began thinking "I like Goregrind and Rap music, what business do I have criticizing others' taste?". Also a lot of what No Country for Old Wainds has been saying has influenced me. What matters to me is what I like, and to a lesser extend why I like it. There are bands I dislike and I won't shy away from saying so, but assigning different levels of how good someone's taste is based on various properties of music is an impossibility.

The metal mainstream is a strange thing. Good bands can and do become very popular. Look at Darkthrone, Slayer, Suffocation for examples. Every non-noob person who likes metal should at least know those bands. On the other hands incredibly bad bands also become popular. It still mystifies me why people like Cradle of Filth or Killswitch Engage. It's not like those bands are passing fads, they've been going for a while. If I had to guess as to why this can happen, I would speculate that there are two very different worlds of metal heads. One, which inhabits this board and has generally good taste, and another with shitty taste that I really don't know anything about.

What?

It was a month ago, but still