Controversial opinions on metal

Way to miss my sarcasm.

Your analogy was ridiculous because virtually any style of music can be acceptable if it's done well. Morals are not an "anything goes" matter. I don't see how you could miss something so obvious.

i didn't miss your sarcasm you retard

and yeah both of those two statements are the majority view but no more than that. analogy stands.

being ignorant of other music is one thing but yeah, simply disliking everything other than metal cannot be criticised in an objective way

I never said metal was the only thing I liked, I like classical, blues and classic rock as well but saying that someone is ignorant because he doesn't like something is damn stupid.

EDIT: I see where you are going with this, you are saying that said person is ignorant if he judges a genre before hand, I was not arguing this, I was just saying that if a person has tried out a genre and just doesn't like it he should not be any less advanced because it's his own fucking opinion. I've tried out rap, techno, pop and punk a few times, I just do not like them.

Personally, I don't get how someone could listen to nothing but metal. It doesn't make them ignorant to do so though, but I find that most people who do this or anything close to it are completely ignorant of all other forms of music.

I listen to all forms of music, but I really wouldn't pay to attend say an R&B festival, unless perhaps a large group of my friends were going, in whcih case I would go for the company, not for the music.

That said, I listen to a large variety of music, Raggae, Soca, R&B, Classical, etc.

Personally, I don't get how someone could listen to nothing but metal. It doesn't make them ignorant to do so though, but I find that most people who do this or anything close to it are completely ignorant of all other forms of music.

I have to agree with this because a few years ago I was one of those completely ignorant people. Between already listening to nothing but metal and doing a webzine where I got nothing but crap music in the mail, I got burned out on metal and stopped listening to it for about a year.

Metal is still my number one choice in music but I feel more balanced now that other forms of music are a part of my life. I hope that makes sense because I just woke up and feel like I'm babbling. :loco:

90% of my music listening time is metal related. However, I have partially explored Classical, post-rock, shoegaze/dream pop, minimalism, and progressive rock.

I don't think I will ever like rap, r&b or the like though.

I like alot of different music even though my record collection is made up of 90% metal. I like pop, country, scores and jazz. Of course some rock as well. I generally dont like rap or modern rnb but there are some good songs there as well.

Im always trying to find new stuff. And with all the Oasis quotes I recently I decided to try their stuff but they havent really clicked with me yet :erk:

Well, I for one think it's possible for any genre to have music that I will like in one sense or another; but it wouldn't be far fetched for me to say that I dislike Rap, for example. Sure, I like El-P & DMX's first album, but that's about as far as I would go. Of course there's stuff out there that I haven't head in said genre that I would surely like.

Statements like RAP SUCKS MOTHERFUCKER sound very unintelligent to me. To simply say that it isn't your thing without making a big deal out of it is the thing an intelligent person would say. To form your own opinions about certain artists is acceptable in my eyes, but shitting all over a musical idea as a whole in seriousness is flat out retarded.

Mort attacked us for not listening to non-metal, and we all took him seriously. We've had a thread about non-metal, which is irrelevant to this thread.

I'm sick of having the same arguments every month, whether it be Mort accusing our lack of musical taste, virus-gravy's polemics against extreme metal, mindless Metallica/Slayer/Opeth shitstorms and even the whole ITNE vs. Anthems debate is getting tiresome.