Controversial opinions on metal

theres just too many bands to start listening/trying some indie pop gay shit

see i hate the way the metal community in general views indie music and pop music

a band like Clouds is just fuckin' balls out rockin' but is associated with the indie scene for whatever reason, and would be shunned by so many people due to that. Cursive could appeal to anyone, and for anyone who claims that modern rock lacks originality this is one of the bands to hear. Dead Meadow is a premiere psychedelic rock band who just happens to be adored by the indie community.

etc.

/me np: Michio Kurihara - [Sunset Notes #02] Do Deep-Sea Fish Dream Of Electric Moles? [0:01/5:34] [161 kbps]

Zeph, I'm not attacking you, but maybe you really should expand your musical horizons beyond the scope of metal... Try it out, you might like it.

I agree with some posters. I really don't understand how someone can listen to nothing but metal. Metal is diverse & awesome & all that good shit, but it's fucking taxing to listen to only extreme metal weeks at a time.

I'm sick of having the same arguments every month, whether it be Mort accusing our lack of musical taste, virus-gravy's polemics against extreme metal, mindless Metallica/Slayer/Opeth shitstorms and even the whole ITNE vs. Anthems debate is getting tiresome.

I wasn't attacking this sites musical taste in particular, just expressing my discontent with the way that metal fans tend to be with non-metal music.

Zeph, I'm not attacking you, but maybe you really should expand your musical horizons beyond the scope of metal... Try it out, you might like it.

I agree with some posters. I really don't understand how someone can listen to nothing but metal. Metal is diverse & awesome & all that good shit, but it's fucking taxing to listen to only extreme metal weeks at a time.

It isn't for me. I could listen to metal all fucking day all fucking week without getting bored of it. You're speaking for everyone here when you say it's tiring, that isn't right, just because you find it tiring doesn't mean everyone does.

I like classical nearly as much as I like metal, and I often attend jazz concerts. I've never liked pop music or modern rock, and believe me I've tried it all out.

I wasn't attacking this sites musical taste in particular, just expressing my discontent with the way that metal fans tend to be with non-metal music.

That may very well be true, but as I've said, it's irrelevant to talk about it seeing this is a forum devoted to Metal only.

It isn't irrelevant. This might be a metal dedicated site, and a metal specific forum on the site but that is like saying discussion on Starcraft is irrelevant on a Warcraft message board. Sure the site might be dedicated to one thing, but it doesn't make the other 'irrelevant.'

That's why we have the Social Forum, in which we can pursue any discussion irrelevant to metal. This, however, is the "controversial opinions on METAL" thread, not "controversial opinions of MUSIC" thread.

I'm sick of having the same arguments every month, whether it be Mort accusing our lack of musical taste, virus-gravy's polemics against extreme metal, mindless Metallica/Slayer/Opeth shitstorms and even the whole ITNE vs. Anthems debate is getting tiresome.

Get used to it...I can tell you it's been that way since I joined...just with different people over the years.

That's why we have the Social Forum, in which we can pursue any discussion irrelevant to metal. This, however, is the "controversial opinions on METAL" thread, not "controversial opinions of MUSIC" thread.

Fair enough, tho I forgot how I even brought this whole discussion up to begin with. I remember the Mew shit, but that surely didn't extend to here.

i didn't miss your sarcasm you retard

and yeah both of those two statements are the majority view but no more than that. analogy stands.

Rape isn't wrong just because the majority says so, you idiot. No one wants to be raped (by the definition of the term), and there's no legitimate reason for raping someone that outweighs the harm it causes. Either you have a fundamentally flawed understanding of ethics or you're just making up shit to see how long you can get me to reply, so I think I'm done with you.

Okay. Next time I feel like bashing extreme metal I'll try to create a thread for it. Usually when I say something along these lines, though, it's in response to a statement by someone else.

He only likes music that is brutal as fuck, the same goes for his taste in Zeppelin.
I don't only like music that is "brutal as fuck," unless you consider every form of metal to be brutal as fuck. I like plenty of doom metal, as well as a lot of traditional metal and even some power metal. Just because I don't dig classic rock (though I do respect it) doesn't make me one of those metalheads that listens only to death metal and nothing else.