Controversial opinions on metal

But I am having difficulty justifying my claims about aesthetic value. Why does one thing have more aesthetic value than another? I assume you've taken some philosophy courses or at least are acquainted with the general ideas on this so I'd be interested in your answer.

Ok, well I didn't understand why you brought up the phenomenon of disagreement to supplement your claims, unless you were simply trying to point out that you wouldn't know how to settle a disagreement between you and an Opeth fan (because you don't know how to justify claims about aesthetic value).

Anyway, I share some of your skepticism about being able to justify these kinds of claims. I think, however, that people who take this skeptical view often oversimplify these matters. People tend to act like different kinds of music or different bands are like different flavors and that having a favorite band is like having a favorite ice cream flavor. And we can understand why people would be skeptical about aesthetic value claims if they took this sort of view; it makes no sense to argue over which of two ice cream flavors is better. But the view of music which leads to that skepticism is far from being obviously correct. Some alternative to this all-too-simple view about the nature of music and aesthetic experience might have some different implications for the nature of aesthetic value claims.

Because, genius, having people just do whatever they want does not maximise world happiness. Note the presence of the word world in there. As in, not the happiness of only a few people.

i wish i was able to get away with arguments like 'we should try to maximise world happiness because doing otherwise doesn't maximise world happiness'

Blaze Bailey was a worse singer for Iron Maiden than Bruce Dickinson.

Wasn't this supposed to be a thread full of "controversial" opinions?

I'm sick of having the same arguments every month, whether it be Mort accusing our lack of musical taste, virus-gravy's polemics against extreme metal, mindless Metallica/Slayer/Opeth shitstorms and even the whole ITNE vs. Anthems debate is getting tiresome.

Well, a thread designed to stimulate arguments, on a forum with limited subject matter and with a limited user base that is expanding very little if at all, will inevitably recycle old arguments simply because there are only so many things left to argue about.

luv u too hun

Seriously though, Dickinson is really, my biggest problem with Maiden. I wouldn't mind them as much ("as much" being the key words here) if they had a singer that didn't have such a nasal singing voice.

ShredHead: Blaze is the guy who replaced Bruce for awhile, and ended up singing on X Factor and Virtual XI.

So maybe his voice is not to your liking. But you still cannot deny that he is a damn good vocalist... One of the best.