Controversial opinions on metal

I just hate it when people have no clue on expanding into other forms of music. There is an endless amount of good music that people should look into, not just metal. That goes for Cookiecutter, he is 1000% more advanced than most people on this board because he has expanded from just brutal death metal.

I would love to get people to expand their musical tastes on this board. I have made one micromix and plan to make another one soon for everyone.

Uh... just because someone doesn't like something else than metal doesn't mean they're any less... "advanced"... hell, have you maybe considered the possibility that said person might not like anything else than metal? Isn't that the reason we're posting on this board? Because we love metal?

Especially since ethics has so much to do with aesthetics.

well yeah they both boil down to metaphysics. replace 'beauty' with 'virtue' and you've got exactly the same development of thought through the centuries. it is in fact a perfect analogy and i look forward to your reasoned disagreement.

Uh... just because someone doesn't like something else than metal doesn't mean they're any less... "advanced"... hell, have you maybe considered the possibility that said person might not like anything else than metal? Isn't that the reason we're posting on this board? Because we love metal?

being ignorant of other music is one thing but yeah, simply disliking everything other than metal cannot be criticised in an objective way

im actually willing to bet that quite a lot of people on this board have a really one-dimensional idea of what constitutes good guitaring (i.e. how technical and complicated it is). not that i agree about jimmy page or anything

music is subject to interpretation so stop arguing over what makes it good

and for the record, zeppelin and the beatles kick ass

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGFlkcnZRFI&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
im actually willing to bet that quite a lot of people on this board have a really one-dimensional idea of what constitutes good guitaring (i.e. how technical and complicated it is). not that i agree about jimmy page or anything

I never really found technicality amazing on its own, I prefer guitarists who have a unique feel and know how to use it, no matter what style they decide to play and how they decide to play it. There's no rules for what automatically makes things good, though a lot of people don't seem to realize it.

There should be nothing wrong about not branching out to other forms of music. That's just not a relevant thing to talk about here. I was big into classical music before I got into metal and I'm still just as big into it. It's just my personal taste that I find most other music, such as most rock and pop, less appealing.

well yeah they both boil down to metaphysics. replace 'beauty' with 'virtue' and you've got exactly the same development of thought through the centuries. it is in fact a perfect analogy and i look forward to your reasoned disagreement.

Way to miss my sarcasm.

Your analogy was ridiculous because virtually any style of music can be acceptable if it's done well. Morals are not an "anything goes" matter. I don't see how you could miss something so obvious.

it's all relative tom

You already admitted that passion and dedication is at least a factor in the quality of music, so I don't see why you insist on repeating this empty generalisation.

I find it utterly absurd to believe that ANY band is as worth listening to as ANY other band.

What?

It was a month ago, but still
This is only something I've really been considering recently so my opinions have been fluid.

You already admitted that passion and dedication is at least a factor in the quality of music, so I don't see why you insist on repeating this empty generalisation.

I find it utterly absurd to believe that ANY band is as worth listening to as ANY other band.
It is very tempting to label bands that I don't like and that people that share my likes don't like as bad, but as I think about it more, I find it increasingly hard to justify that attitude. If Opeth gives someone as much joy as I get from Devourment, which band is better? I know I have my opinion and I would loathe to say Opeth is anywhere near as good as Devourment, but, as I'm sure many people here would agree, I really don't have any justification of doing so.

Talent and passion are very real personal traits. Even if they're difficult to measure, I don't think you can simply deny that they exist, and that they have an influence on music.

I just hate it when people have no clue on expanding into other forms of music. There is an endless amount of good music that people should look into, not just metal. That goes for Cookiecutter, he is 1000% more advanced than most people on this board because he has expanded from just brutal death metal.

I would love to get people to expand their musical tastes on this board. I have made one micromix and plan to make another one soon for everyone.

Wait... Cookiecutter is 1000% more advanced than most people on this forum because he likes more than just brutal death metal?! That's fucking hilarious... :lol:

This is only something I've really been considering recently so my opinions have been fluid.

It is very tempting to label bands that I don't like and that people that share my likes don't like as bad, but as I think about it more, I find it increasingly hard to justify that attitude. If Opeth gives someone as much joy as I get from Devourment, which band is better? I know I have my opinion and I would loathe to say Opeth is anywhere near as good as Devourment, but, as I'm sure many people here would agree, I really don't have any justification of doing so.

How is the fact that some people get as much joy out of Opeth as you do out of Devourment supposed to be relevant? The mere fact of disagreement or differing tastes has no bearing on the status of claims about aesthetic value.