Controversial opinions on metal

I could see how dropping "email" and "Xbox" into the lyrics could be off-putting. PT is pretty hit and miss on lyrics. I think the most recent one worked because it was from the perspective of a 12-year-old sometimes, or whatever.

The usual problem when you have a band who's lyrics are put on a super high pedestal is that there's usually pretentiousness for people to rally behind, which is something that has stemmed all the way from the pompousness and elitism of the 'singer-songwriter' label and following. On the flip side, it's frustrating that most don't even care about a lot of lyrics in general. Like most things, where's the middle ground?

also everyone who OMGZZZ about Opeth is the same about Dream Theater, and PT, and Tool.

Everyone.

Not true; when it comes down to me at least...

*DT are probably my favorite long time band.
*Opeth are OK, but I never understood the praise for them really... Maybe I just have not heard enough of their stuff.
*I like Porcupine Tree, but don't classify them among any of the other bands.
*I'm in between on Tool. I can't listen to them too much.

Only band I'm OMORZZZZZZZ about is DT & possibly PC if they continue to grow on me. I think all the bands have great respectable qualities, however.

Right now, I'd rank Dream Theater as my second favourite band/artist ever after Devin Townsend. Porcupine Tree are great. Opeth... It's probably good but it's not for me. Same with Tool.

I'd say long songs is an entirely valid thing to like or dislike. It's a major part of the music and the style. Same thing as how I find grindcore extremely difficult to get into because 1 minute songs don't move me.

Totally agree. Long songs can make or break my opinion. Older Opeth I liked cuz they were interesting despite the length. But now the formula is redundant and I get bored. I can listen to Dodsferd with 10 min songs and it keeps me interested. But if it's just a bunch of wankery and nothingness I get bored, so I can't enjoy a band that bores me. Despite actual skill.

Right now, I'd rank Dream Theater as my second favourite band/artist ever after Devin Townsend.

But all Devin's stuff sounds the same...

I would never in a million years put the musicianship caliber of Opeth with bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Adagio, Yngwie, Angra, Necrophagist & even Megadeth. They can write pretty cool songs, but none of them are masters of their instrument. Mikeal has even "put down" his guitar playing skills on a few occassions, or so I heard.

Most of the bands you just named aren't even very good examples of high-caliber musical skill and technical proficiency.

My IT teacher said the best guitarist in the world is the one in Focus. Is that true or approaching being true?