Controversial opinions on metal

:lol: @ Gorguts guitarists being that skilled. There are loads of virtuoso guitarists that would run circles around them.

tbh shredding really fast isn't the best demonstration of skill, since it's purely a finger exercise; the right hand is just picking really fast and steadily, which is really really easy. Complex riffs in odd times with weird rhythms are way harder than mindless sweeping. That said I haven't actually heard Obscura. I heard one song off it, though, and I rather suspect you're flat out wrong. They may not be the best, but they clearly know their way around the fretboard.

The perfect middle ground between technicality and listenability - At the Gates' The Red in the Sky Is Ours.

:lol: @ Gorguts guitarists being that skilled. There are loads of virtuoso guitarists that would run circles around them.

I was talking about the entire band, not the guitarists. If you've never listened to Obscura, I'd suggest hearing it because it's one of the most technical and dissonant albums you're likely to ever hear in any kind of music, and the arrangements are incredibly complex and diverse. If you've heard it and still don't realize this, the only thing I can suggest is getting a hearing aid, since this isn't really an opinion. Although I wouldn't really expect you to have a good opinion of such an inaccessible album anyway.

For the record, technical proficiency isn't everything anyway. ;)

I would much rather attempt to learn a Malmsteen/Batio song or the like over something off of Obscura any day of the week, regarding difficulty. A lot of the former involves simple patterns that repeat incessantly (harmonic minor runs, swept minor arpeggios, etc.), whereas looking at a tab for something like the title track from Obscura makes me want to hurt myself due to the subtle variations and ridiculous amount of unpredictability that album holds. I personally have a much harder time playing along with something as complex (beyond superficial chop builders) and intricate as Obscura, but that's just me.

stronghold > minas morgul

beyond sanctorum >>>>> the symphony masses

The perfect middle ground between technicality and listenability - At the Gates' The Red in the Sky Is Ours.

i think if anything atg prove that such a spectrum does not exist

The first disc of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is one of Dream Theater's greatest moments, and one of the greatest moments in metal overall.

Meanwhile, the second disc is one of their worst moments, right next to Falling Into Infinity.

The first disc of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is one of Dream Theater's greatest moments, and one of the greatest moments in metal overall.

Meanwhile, the second disc is one of their worst moments, right next to Falling Into Infinity.

I havent listened to DT at all for a year or two. I got burnt out on them and they didnt meet expectations at all with the last couple of albums (although I love the title track off of Octavarium). I like both 6 degrees discs though.

However I think DT lost alot by bringing in Jordan Rudess. Its not the way he plays or what he plays but the kind of sounds he use. It has come to the point for me that I want to enjoy for example the latest DT album but once Rudess starts playing with one of his "signature sounds" I just cant stand it. Its a shame really because he's a good player but I would take their previous keyboardist any day over Rudess.