Controversial opinions on metal

Falling Into Infinity is good

I havent listened to DT at all for a year or two. I got burnt out on them and they didnt meet expectations at all with the last couple of albums (although I love the title track off of Octavarium). I like both 6 degrees discs though.

However I think DT lost alot by bringing in Jordan Rudess. Its not the way he plays or what he plays but the kind of sounds he use. It has come to the point for me that I want to enjoy for example the latest DT album but once Rudess starts playing with one of his "signature sounds" I just cant stand it. Its a shame really because he's a good player but I would take their previous keyboardist any day over Rudess.

Yes, but still their worst.

I haven't heard WDADU yet, but I'm pretty sure Octavarium is their worst by a wide margin

*FACEPALM*

facepalm.jpeg

I haven't heard WDADU yet, but I'm pretty sure Octavarium is their worst by a wide margin

I love WD&DU. They had not fully formed their own identity yet though. The vocalist sounds like a Geddy Lee with a much wider ranged & there are numerous Queenstryche influences throughout. There are some great songs on there. It used to be my favorite DT, but now it's more like my 4th favorite.

Octavarium is indeed their worst... The title track tries to be all magestic & fails, although it has one section I am particulary fond of. I'm not a very big fan of 6DoIT, ToT, or Systematic Chaos either. I think Falling Into Infinity is superior to all 4 of these albums. Maybe not in technicality, but it's superior to me for the fact that I can listen to it in it's entirety without getting bored by it. It seems to flow better.

Train of Thought is my favorite of theirs

My drummer friend prefers ToT to all their other albums, but he likes them all.

Scenes of a Memory is easily their best album. I love FII, most DT fans think its the "cool" thing to dislike that album... bit dumb really.

I'm split between Awake & SFAM... They're two of the greatest albums ever made IMO :OMG: I like FII a lot too, but it still falls behind WD&DU, I&W & ACoS. DT album abbreviations FTW.

You people suck I swear. This is the obvious and correct order of their discography:

1. Images And Words
2. Scenes From A Memory
3. Awake
4. Systematic Chaos
5. Six Degress Of Inner Turbulence
6. Octavarium
7. Train Of Thought
8. When Dream And Day Unite
9. Falling Into Infinity

LDO

edit: Systematic Chaos could easily be tied @ #3 for me as well. That album is so underrated.

Well, it's only one original song on the thing, so probably not

That one long ass song is one of the best things they've ever done. It's also a long disc because it's loaded with cool covers. It's their only EP too. Most of the time it is ranked with their albums because of it's epicness.

You people suck I swear. This is the obvious and correct order of their discography:

1. Images And Words
2. Scenes From A Memory
3. Awake
4. Systematic Chaos
5. Six Degress Of Inner Turbulence
6. Octavarium
7. Train Of Thought
8. When Dream And Day Unite
9. Falling Into Infinity

LDO

edit: Systematic Chaos could easily be tied @ #3 for me as well. That album is so underrated.

It's not all that different from my list, I'd merely place SDoIT above Awake and WDaDU above ToT. I think I also might prefer SC over Awake.

And yes, A Change of Seasons is damn awesome.

Did anyone else ever notice that a lot of newer Dream Theater songs blatantly rip off Muse? It's especially funny because the time period where they started doing it coincides with the interviews they did where they talked about how cool Muse was.

Did anyone else ever notice that a lot of newer Dream Theater songs blatantly rip off Muse? It's especially funny because the time period where they started doing it coincides with the interviews they did where they talked about how cool Muse was.

I'm pretty sure every band you listen to rips off other bands. Nothing new here.