Controversial opinions on metal

I originally did not like Black Metal when signing up getting shit and still do not really like it as a genre. I like some specific albums rarely listening to them and tried getting into the genre and it's just not my thing. I also think black metal fans are really ignorant towards music and also think their taste in music is so much better than others(besides thinking they're better). I'd rather dissociate myself from the genre personally.

:lol:

I originally did not like Black Metal when signing up getting shit and still do not really like it as a genre. I like some specific albums rarely listening to them and tried getting into the genre and it's just not my thing. I also think black metal fans are really ignorant towards music and also think their taste in music is so much better than others(besides thinking they're better).

Maybe there's some sort of subliminal message in black metal music telling fans to be ignorant toward other music? I bet that's it!

Wow, retarded arguments from both sides.

There is no element of Black Metal that is inherently more intellectual or enlightened than Death Metal or Doom Metal or any genre of true Metal. I think that whichever genre you come to prefer the most relies heavily on what musical background you come from.

I was raised on Classical, of which my father preferred the darker, more powerful works, especially organ music. So when I discovered Black Metal, I got the same feeling from a set of Rock n' Roll instruments as I did from a symphony orchestra or a church pipe organ.

Black Metal is not just music, it is a way of life. We are the last crusaders of Unholy War upon the degeneracy of Western Christendom, and for that we must be praised not as men, but as Gods.

I think that whichever genre you come to prefer the most relies heavily on what musical background you come from.

i'm not sure about that, i think it tends to rely heavily on your personality traits in most cases.

anyway every genre of metal has been misinterpreted and misrepresented by idiots, for every retarded nsbm band/fan there's a flower of solitude in my tears little gay girl funeral doom band/fan or some tasteless posturing uber-brutal death band/fan, and the people who generalise about genres based on these misrepresentations are stupid fat transvestites.

another point, i don't know many metalheads who've really explored black metal and come out liking none of it. it's almost impossible actually because some bm bands are very very closely related to various traditional metal bands and the like. same applies to any sub-genre - if you love something in one, you're likely love something in all the others, because they all revolve to some extent around the same spiritual core. people tend to dislike/dismiss entire sub-genres of a genre they love based on superficial reasons, and by superficial i mean they're reasons that are quickly rendered false by accumulated experience.

no country for old wainds elaborated on that statement very well in the post directly above your own.

Thnaks, I didn't see that post.

another point, i don't know many metalheads who've really explored black metal and come out liking none of it. it's almost impossible actually because some bm bands are very very closely related to various traditional metal bands and the like. same applies to any sub-genre - if you love something in one, you're likely love something in all the others, because they all revolve to some extent around the same spiritual core. people tend to dislike/dismiss entire sub-genres of a genre they love based on superficial reasons, and by superficial i mean they're reasons that are quickly rendered false by accumulated experience.

I do agree with this statement, but what about metal fans who just can't get past the vocals in black metal? I have grown to accept them to a certain extent, but I find a lot of BM hard to listen to specifically because of the vocals.

I do agree with this statement, but what about metal fans who just can't get past the vocals in black metal? I have grown to accept them to a certain extent, but I find a lot of BM hard to listen to specifically because of the vocals.

You have Reign in Blood in your avatar, so you have developed some comfort with Thrash vocals. So how about you start (if you haven't already) with the first wave of Black Metal, namely Celtic Frost, Venom and Bathory. Once you become comfortable with Bathory's vocals, you are ready for all the Black Metal that comes after him.

You have Reign in Blood in your avatar, so you have developed some comfort with Thrash vocals. So how about you start (if you haven't already) with the first wave of Black Metal, namely Celtic Frost, Venom and Bathory. Once you become comfortable with Bathory's vocals, you are ready for all the Black Metal that comes after him.

Great advice. It all comes in steps.

I didn't listen to gateway bands when I got into black metal, but I guess it helped that I already listened to music with pretty extreme vocals.

Thnaks, I didn't see that post.

this is one of those superficial reasons, i think. like others have said, if you already enjoy stuff like RiB then getting into BM vocals is likely to come with time, step by step. i for one had under a funeral moon and de mysteriis for over a year before its more extreme elements no longer felt alien to me, and then these albums really really started growing on me.

i also experienced this process in the opposite direction back when i was solely into BM/DM and couldn't get into the *dated* sound of traditional metal - the more i got used to the surface elements that kept initially distracting me, the more i realised how dark/mystical/haunting/<insert characteristic i love> a lot of that stuff really was. that actually, much of it was right up my street all along, for very similar reasons to the stuff i already liked. it's not that my tastes change (i don't think they ever have), but that i become more receptive to the work as a whole as i slowly become used to the elements that initially stick out distractingly (purely through being outside my comfort zone).