Controversial opinions on metal

If they'll make him want Cold Lake he's better off without them.
How bad can that album possibly be?

Celtic Frost are obviously a thrash/DM band(Death Metal if need be) and have very heavy rythmic guitars/doomy passages and thrashy,etc.. and have traditional/rythmnic drumming and saying just because someone could get into say Celtic Frost does not mean it would be easy for them to actually get into BM as a genre because regardless all kinds of extreme metal bands being influenced by them does not mean any of those bands rfeally sound like them.
I agree with this. But if you can get into CF's atmosphere and want more of that then you'd totally go for some black metal.

Shit, I've been needing to get some Black Metal. The way I see the genre is mostly the atmosphere of it. Sometimes you get it, and it's amazing and spiritual. Or you don't get it and it just sounds like a guy screeching with some homogenous sound in the background that's supposed to be instruments. In other words, amazing or terrible.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. That's my take on it, anyhow. There's some middle ground, but in general it's a pass/fail thing. I think that black metal can be the most fucking amazing stuff ever but it can also be a steaming pile of shit. I'd say the majority of it (as with everything) is utterly terrible, but there's a lot of really amazing stuff.

The band i've always associated most with Celtic Frost is Morbid Angel actually, not in the spirit of the music but that Trey's bizarre guitar style seems very influenced by them.
The first time I put on Covenant, my first MA album, I was listening for a minute and I said "dude, these guys totally listen to a ton of Celtic Frost."

no fucking way. my understanding was it was glam with tom warrior on voxx. That would be pretty shitty, but I imagine the amusement value would make up for it.

Celtic Frost don't sound like any thrash or death metal band I've ever heard. I honestly can't see how people don't see them as black metal.

Giant assumption on your part. I mentioned the bands I can listen to. Your assuming I haven't explored the genre when actually I have; I saw its popularity on these boards and delved in. Checked out quite a wide range of stuff. Bathory, Celtic Frost, Mayhem, Burzum, Emperor, Immortal, DSO, Gorgoroth, as well as Dimmu and Dragonlord. Some of it was good, I enjoyed plenty. It just didn't grab in the way other genres of metal has done.

I've no problem with the vocals, more with lots of it being repetitive and sometimes because of that - boring.

Not an assumption, consider it an observation. It just strikes me as rather odd that you say you've tried the genre and the only bands you enjoy to a certain extent are some of the most boring, banal pieces of music the genre has to offer (and I won't even get into the genre debate).

Not an assumption, consider it an observation. It just strikes me as rather odd that you say you've tried the genre and the only bands you enjoy to a certain extent are some of the most boring, banal pieces of music the genre has to often (and I won't even get into the genre debate).

In your opinion. Man arguing about this is sooooo pointless I don't know why I get drawn into it. :yuk:

In your opinion. Man arguing about this is sooooo pointless I don't know why I get drawn into it. :yuk:

I just love the ''in your opinion'' cop-out, it's so fascinating. Who the hell is arguing anyway? God forbid you sign up to a forum and discuss your observations with others.

I just love the ''in your opinion'' cop-out, it's so fascinating. Who the hell is arguing anyway? God forbid you sign up into a forum and discuss your observations with others.

Its not a cop-out, its fact. What do you want me to say? I saw Dimmu live at Wacken 07 - was quite impressed since I didn't think I'd enjoy it and got into them from there. They're riffs are pretty heavy and I enjoy the orchestration. Dragonlord are lots of fun and I like the thrash influence from testament. Conversely I found Gorgoroth, Burzum and Mayhem to be really quite boring. Immortal were better, as were Emperor (I've changed my opinion a bit on them) but the stuff I listen to regularly is what I've already mentioned. Anymore observation you'd like?

Have you ever actually heard Celtic Frost? It sounds like extremely thick, sludgy death/thrash.

Have you ever heard the bands Celtic Frost influenced? You can't seriously listen to, say, Darkthrone or early Burzum and NOT say they don't take direct influence from Celtic Frost..

Have you ever actually heard Celtic Frost? It sounds like extremely thick, sludgy death/thrash.

Exactly and Doomy slower heavy riffs, heavy held out sustained bar/power chord riffs which basically is used by all the Euro DM and old School DM metal bands. Traditional rythmnic/groove drumming and fills and Eerie/Creepy undeveloped guitar leads. Heavy Morbid music with a lot of Rythmn . they're a DM band(were)

Its not a cop-out, its fact. What do you want me to say? I saw Dimmu live at Wacken 07 - was quite impressed since I didn't think I'd enjoy it and got into them from there. They're riffs are pretty heavy and I enjoy the orchestration. Dragonlord are lots of fun and I like the thrash influence from testament. Conversely I found Gorgoroth, Burzum and Mayhem to be really quite boring. Immortal were better, as were Emperor (I've changed my opinion a bit on them) but the stuff I listen to regularly is what I've already mentioned. Anymore observation you'd like?

Not a fact, that's quite a bold statement on your part. I mentioned that those bands were some of the most banal the genre has to offer; saying that it is a fact that they are not would imply that they are quite original, which anyone that has taken some time to go through the genre would find quite ludicrous.

Like what you like, you don't have to get your panties up in a bunch because of it.

Not a fact, that's quite a bold statement on your part. I mentioned that those bands were some of the most banal the genre has to offer; saying that it is a fact that they are not would imply that they are quite original, which anyone that has taken some time to go through the genre would find quite ludicrous.

Like what you like, you don't have to get your panties up in a bunch because of it.

Misunderstood me, apologies. Fact is that you finding them banal/boring/unoriginal is subjective and down to your own opinion. My panties are relatively unbunched at the moment.

Have you ever heard the bands Celtic Frost influenced? You can't seriously listen to, say, Darkthrone or early Burzum and NOT say they don't take direct influence from Celtic Frost..

:lol:
that's some interesting logic. Did you know that Black Sabbath were a grunge band?

Misunderstood me, apologies. Fact is that you finding them banal/boring/unoriginal is subjective and down to your own opinion. My panties are relatively unbunched at the moment.

No, I understood you quite well and I keep my stance. Me finding their music boring = opinion? yes, saying that their music is un-original = not an opinion. The fact of the matter is, that this is not so farfetched as you may think it is. The combination of thrash and ''black metal'' that dragonlord makes is not so inventive, fact is bands like Destroyer 666 and Absu have done it before. Black metal with symphonics is quite over-used these days, so I don't see anything original about that.

I agree with this. But if you can get into CF's atmosphere and want more of that then you'd totally go for some black metal.

discussion should've ended here. CF are pretty blatantly not straight up BM, and they're pretty blatantly not completely removed from BM either, and they pretty blatantly could help act as a gateway for a thrasher into BM, and that's that.

I hear no simularities in guitar playing style/tone,songwriting,production drumming and general instrument tone and music in say Celtic Frost and say Burzum or Darkthrone to really begin to understand why you would think that,etc.. so regardless if those bands took direct influences it would not matter because can't hear or notice. People hear different thoug so whatever. I'm not you