Controversial opinions on metal

have a friend named randy that has a 14 ft bike with a huge confederate flag on a pole off the back of it...

^ Confederate flag on his bike? Fucking manly.

Anyways, controversial opinion; A Celebration of Guilt is not Arsis' best, A Diamond For Disease is.

I can't get into a lot of trad doom. I like bands like Candlemass, Warning, Solstice, Cathedral (first album), Solitude Aeternus, etc., but I can't get into bands like Odoruin, Revelation, St. Vitus, Trouble, etc. Maybe I just like trad doom that has a gloomy feel to it. I dunno. Pretty controversial though.

I don't like bouncy/stoner stuff either and find it amusing that such hippie music is labeled as doom... :loco: I like it to either sound like a slow, dark suicide, or be progressive and epic...in either case, get it away from the blues romping. I know that was a lot of the sound in the first place but I never liked that element at all.

I can't get into a lot of trad doom. I like bands like Candlemass, Warning, Solstice, Cathedral (first album), Solitude Aeternus, etc., but I can't get into bands like Odoruin, Revelation, St. Vitus, Trouble, etc. Maybe I just like trad doom that has a gloomy feel to it. I dunno. Pretty controversial though.

Trouble is not really musically different or atmospherically different than say Solitude Aeturnus or Cathedral. I would say Trouble is just as gloomy and Cathedral basically sound like them.

It depends. It can be but usually isn't IMO. I would hardly call stoner doom dark and wild, and I certainly wouldn't call bluesy hard rock (Led Zeppelin. Great White, etc.) dark and wild.

I agree with most of that. I was actually referring to old traditional American blues music, which is usually dark, and the guys who played it were fucking crazy. Those are some of the most badass, wildest motherfuckers you will ever read about.

And some blues/jazz influenced stuff can be extremely dark and wild (I'm thinking of Tom Waits now).

And as was said earlier, Sabbath is possibly the best example for metal.

Blues can be very dark musically. I mean like the first original blues guitarists around 1920 who were musically and lyrically dark and probably controversial for the time. Blues by some is considered Devils music and apparently the first blues guitarist sold/traded their souls to the devil,etc..

Old Danzig is blues and some of the darkest music in terms of heavy music.

I think depressive black metal for the most part isn't depressive at all. It's usually just really drawn-out, boring and lethargic. :)