Controversial opinions on metal

I don't understand. The song structures on the Black Album are cyclical rock n roll arrangements. And the riffs are less inventive and more simplistic than they are on MoP. In fact, they purposely made the Black Album more pedestrian than anything prior to it in hopes of reaching a mainstream audience (and they were obviously successful).
It's not and never is about the amount of technicality involved, but about the impact that the music has on you.Otherwise anything remotely technical can be deemed superior to streamlined composition which just isn't true.
"Pedestrian" was perhaps the wrong word to use.

The production of Deathcult makes the album a bit harder to get into than Conjuration of the Spectral Empire or The Spell of Retribution. IMO Conjuration of the Spectral Empire or The Spell of Retribution would be better starting points for getting into The Chasm, though Deathcult is their best album IMO.

It's not and never is about the amount of technicality involved, but about the impact that the music has on you.Otherwise anything remotely technical can be deemed superior to streamlined composition which just isn't true.
"Pedestrian" was perhaps the wrong word to use.
Well, the first four Metallica albums impact me the way good thrash metal does, while the Black Album simply strikes me as Metallica playing rock n roll. Even my roommate, who is not a metalhead, agrees that Metallica started to suck with the Black Album.

yeah, 'Deathcult' is incredible pretty much all the way through, but I did have a hard time getting past the production. I mean I can hear that technically they had good tones and everything, just the mix is..pounded into dust, and has no sheen on top of it at all, which would have brought out a lot of the dyamics and melodic nuances.

'Conjuration' has a couple of odd hiccups that sound like file jitters, for some reason...I checked both the Witches Brew and Lux versions and both pressings have it so I guess their computer did something.... but otherwise the production is pretty good there...slightly distorted, but good..

'Reaching the Veil of Death' is actually the best introduction to them IMO.

Well, the first four Metallica albums impact me the way good thrash metal does, while the Black Album simply strikes me as Metallica playing rock n roll. Even my roommate, who is not a metalhead, agrees that Metallica started to suck with the Black Album.
It's okay, man. I'm a fan of some streamlined rock,pretentious prog rock, and apparently,according to many RYMers"whiny and pretentious doom",(the you know who) which isn't all that technically ambitious either, so liking a solid semi-hard rock album without the pretentions of epic doom is pretty normal, I think. Because what is Nightfall, for instance if not doomy rock n'roll?

It's okay, man. I'm a fan of some streamlined rock,pretentious prog rock, and apparently,according to many RYMers"whiny and pretentious doom",(the you know who) which isn't all that technically ambitious either, so liking a solid semi-hard rock album without the pretentions of epic doom is pretty normal, I think. Because what is Nightfall, for instance if not doomy rock n'roll?
Nightfall does have rock n roll arrangements. But the atmosphere and overall feel of the music is gloomy and depressing; far from rock n roll. The Black Album simply sounds too commercial for my taste. They made a conscious effort to make their music more accessible, and you can clearly hear it in the music.

Have you heard Beherit (among others)?
When I think about it, Beherit is the only finnish bm band i care about really. Barathrum are pretty good, but that's about it. Most other classics I could care less about. I haven't listened to Hail yet though, but they seems promising atleast.

I really do believe that. I don't like the black album at all. After all, this is the controversial opinions thread.

I wasn't making making fun of it, just laughing at how harsh you were to the Black album. I do agree that the BA was Metallica's gateway to shittyness.

Barathrum are pretty good, but that's about it.

Nice to see a mention of Barathrum :headbang: That band got me into extreme metal, I know it's rather unusual but a metalhead friend of mine listened to them a lot.

Now, I'm not sure if they really are very good. I'm definitely biased because it was the first black metal band I started listening to. But still, I can't deny the awesomeness of classics like Last Day In Heaven and Antikristus Neutronstar.