Controversial opinions on metal

Not getting the hatred toward the Maiden tone. I remember listening to a bunch of metal that came out in the 80's when I was a kid and thinking that the most electric, glowing lead tones I'd ever heard were Dave Murray and Oz Fox.

Mmyeah, I felt that way when I "discovered" them in the early 00's... I still regard them as one of the best bands ever, though they've fallen behind Dream Theater and Devin Townsend on my list. And Infinite Dreams might just be my favourite song.

You are fucking nuts if you actually think that. Maybe more bands directly imitate Iron Maiden's style of play, but to say that they have, overall, been more influential on metal (discounting the abhorrent metalcore or not) than Judas Priest is fucking absurd. For starters, I'm pretty sure Steve Harris had heard a few Priest tunes before he decided to pen "Iron Maiden." In fact, I'm not even going to bother arguing this because it's so god damn obvious.

I agree but I think Bruce plays a key role in live performances.

You are right. I never saw them with Blaze but with Bruce they are awesome live and I doubt Blaze woul be as good. I only ever saw IM live with their line-up they have had snce the Bruce comeback and live it rocks. One of the best live acts I've ever seen. And Bruce is indeed a great part of that. Just cant stand him in the long run on cd.

You are fucking nuts if you actually think that. Maybe more bands directly imitate Iron Maiden's style of play, but to say that they have, overall, been more influential on metal (discounting the abhorrent metalcore or not) than Judas Priest is fucking absurd. For starters, I'm pretty sure Steve Harris had heard a few Priest tunes before he decided to pen "Iron Maiden." In fact, I'm not even going to bother arguing this because it's so god damn obvious.

Arguing whether Judas Priest was or was not more influential than Iron Maiden is like arguing over whether Mozart was more influential than Bach, or Socrates more influential than Plato.

Yes, I am.

Iron Maiden was directly influenced by Judas Priest, along with basically every metal band formed between 1975 and 1982, and that accounts for a shitload of metal. Iron Maiden inspired a bunch of clone bands (see the USPM scene) and (second-hand) modern power metal, but that's about all.

Iron Maiden was directly influenced by Judas Priest, along with basically every metal band formed between 1975 and 1982, and that accounts for a shitload of metal. Iron Maiden inspired a bunch of clone bands (see the USPM scene) and (second-hand) modern power metal, but that's about all.

Did someone drop you on your head when you were a baby? Let me guess, this theory comes from the same book of bullshit right along the one that Dream Theater invented Progressive music? :lol:

Yeah... no.

Come on Omni. If you know bands that are more influential than Maiden on Euro Power Metal speak now or forever hold your peace. Maiden have both directly & indirectly influenced legions of euro power bands, & in my findings this is one title they hold against Priest.

Are Priest more influential to metal than Iron Maiden...? Possibly. Are Maiden at least somewhat influenced by early Priest...? Possibly. I don't see these statements to be very viable in the end though. As influential as Priest is (& yes, they're the much better band) I think Maiden just takes the win if you're talking about overall influence to metal.