Controversial opinions on metal

By the way, I wasn't trying to belittle anything, nor did I say anything that sounded like I was. I was talking about how linked all those bands were in influencing each other, and about a common influence that all of them definitely share to a pretty big extent. ;)

You know, we can all speculate, nothing wrong with that. Unless we were around & deep in the metal scene in the late 70's/early 80's that's all we will be doing here, speculating. I was born in '84, & judging from that "What's Your Age?" thread I'm probably older or at least around the same age as 85% of the people in this argument, & that's not old enough to get the big picture.

I'm not saying that the shit that myself, you, Dodens, Ozz is right or wrong. I'm sure that there's some truth in all of it. I would agree Priest is the common influence & definitely an "indirect" influence to a lot of bands who probably weren't trying to replicate anything they did directly.

I have had the poor fortune to see UFO twice in the last ten years; I find their entire fucking catalogue beyond tedious.

Jesus.

I guess you had to be there way back when.

You think Yngwie Malmsteen was a big influence on Kai Hansen? :lol: Please stop.

I never said that. I never really even got into Helloween, but from what I've heard I would say Yngwie may possibly be an influence of theirs. He's DEFINITELY a major influence on a shitload of other power metal bands though. Yngwie played power metal before it became cool to play power metal.

You know, we can all speculate, nothing wrong with that. Unless we were around & deep in the metal scene in the late 70's/early 80's that's all we will be doing here, speculating. I was born in '84, & judging from that "What's Your Age?" thread I'm probably older or at least around the same age as 85% of the people in this argument, & that's not old enough to get the big picture.

I'm not saying that the shit that myself, you, Dodens, Ozz is right or wrong. I'm sure that there's some truth in all of it. I would agree Priest is the common influence & definitely an "indirect" influence to a lot of bands who probably weren't trying to replicate anything they did directly.

I don't understand why you're directing this at me, since I wasn't talking to you or saying anything that had anything to do with anything that you said, and don't see how this is relevant to what I posted anyway.

I don't understand why you're directing this at me, since I wasn't talking to you or saying anything that had anything to do with anything that you said, and don't see how this is relevant to what I posted anyway.

You chimed in earlier Omni. You weren't talking to me directly earlier, I guess I just made an example out of one of your replies to another poster. I was just using random names as examples.

Yeah, I chimed in with the name of a band that was definitely a major influence of both Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, as well as a good portion of power metal as a genre.

St. Anger is a great album of metal. I fail to understand why it gets all the hate. The lyrics are really outstanding. It's all about hate and the lyrics and conveyed in such a way that your feelings go all out berserk while hearing it. Maybe it gets so much hate because people who listen to metal don't really listen to the lyrics? I don't know, but imo it's a great album filled with long epic metal tracks with great drumming.

St. Anger is a great album of metal. I fail to understand why it gets all the hate. The lyrics are really outstanding. It's all about hate and the lyrics and conveyed in such a way that your feelings go all out berserk while hearing it. Maybe it gets so much hate because people who listen to metal don't really listen to the lyrics? I don't know, but imo it's a great album filled with long epic metal tracks with great drumming.

I for one find no redeeming qualities on St Anger. I onestly cant mention anything I really enjoy. NOt the performances instrumentally, not the vocals, not the lyrics (and yes lyrics do matter for me), not the production, not the riffs, not the song structures etc.

One can like St Anger if one likes to but calling the songs "epic" are stretiching it alot (epic as in " extending beyond the usual or ordinary especially in size or scope"). Its the usual Metallica thing. They play the whole song and then they decide to play it all over again. They did so alot of the time (example Master of Puppets). Its not epic because songs are longer than usual for a genre.

When it comes to the drumming I probably have said enough in the past on how bad Lars is. He was never good but have been well below average for years and years. Anyone who thinks he's a good drummer probably dont know much about drumming. Its one thing if people enjoy his drumming. Heck people love punk and the performances is often sub par (at least in the old days). But yeah, calling his drumming "great" is a huge stretch.

The sarcasm on this post is outstanding :lol:

'My lifestyle determines my deathstyle.'

Fuck yeah, totally AWESOME.

Saint Anger 'round my neck
He never gets respect

(You flush it out, you flush it out)
(you flush it out, you flush it out)
He never gets respect
(you flush it out, you flush it out)