Controversial opinions on metal

Well, it may be true that the standards I'm using to evaluate death/black/doom/etc. metal aren't appropriate for the genres. So I understand your criticisms, even if they're not very polite. But I'm still curious to know how you personally differentiate between, say, a good death metal band and a bad one (if, in fact, you actually look at it in those terms).

Do me a favor and learn how we differentiate by experiencing it for yourself.

Listen first to: At the Gates - The Red in the Sky Is Ours. Now listen to Mortician's Hacked Up For Barbecue.

You'll see how we make the differentiation.

But I'm still curious to know how you personally differentiate between, say, a good death metal band and a bad one (if, in fact, you actually look at it in those terms).

Well, first off, if I listen to the album and can't remember any of it, it's a bad sign. If any of the riffs make me headbang and hit my lamp, it's a good sign. If the lyrics cause squirming pain in my testicles, it's a bad sign. If the vocals make me wanna sing along, it's a good sign. If the guitar sound makes me want to peel my skin off, it's a bad sign. If the solos make me do some Bill & Ted style shit, it's a good sign. If the drum gives me a headache, it's a bad sign. If the drumming makes me start air drumming in an embarrassing fashion, it's a good sign. And so on.

Do me a favor and learn how we differentiate by experiencing it for yourself.

Listen first to: At the Gates - The Red in the Sky Is Ours. Now listen to Mortician's Hacked Up For Barbecue.

You'll see how we make the differentiation.

It's funny, because if you go to Metal-Archives and read the review of that record, the critic basically agrees with Vihris by claiming that the album degenerates into music-less sludge. This has been Vihris's argument all along, and the reason why he finds such music unmusical.

However, it's kind of an unfair comparison, because At the Gates play a very different kind of death metal. There really can be no comparison because each band's aim is ultimately very different.

Well, first off, if I listen to the album and can't remember any of it, it's a bad sign. If any of the riffs make me headbang and hit my lamp, it's a good sign. If the lyrics cause squirming pain in my testicles, it's a bad sign. If the vocals make me wanna sing along, it's a good sign. If the guitar sound makes me want to peel my skin off, it's a bad sign. If the solos make me do some Bill & Ted style shit, it's a good sign. If the drum gives me a headache, it's a bad sign. If the drumming makes me start air drumming in an embarrassing fashion, it's a good sign. And so on.

That would almost certainly disqualify a few entire styles of metal.

It's funny, because if you go to Metal-Archives and read the review of that record, the critic basically agrees with Vihris by claiming that the album degenerates into music-less sludge. This has been Vihris's argument all along, and the reason why he finds such music unmusical.

However, it's kind of an unfair comparison, because At the Gates play a very different kind of death metal. There really can be no comparison because each band's aim is ultimately very different.

Yeah, I was kinda wondering whether those were really the same style.

That would almost certainly disqualify a few entire styles of metal.

I don't mean those as the only criteria. I just mean that if you're getting into the music, it's good. If the music causes you physical or psychological pain, it's bad.

The point was to recommend him a good death metal album to listen to and then a shitty one so that he can see the differences.

Then uhh VG check out the fuckin' Mortician album and uh Incantation - Onward to Golgotha. There you can tell bad from good :) in a same general style.

My guess is "I agree with this post". If that's true, then I'm pretty impressed with my Internet slang deciphering skills.

But I'm still curious to know how you personally differentiate between, say, a good death metal band and a bad one (if, in fact, you actually look at it in those terms).

Exactly the same way you differentiate between a good or bad rock band. If the band makes well written, well played inspired creative music that tickles your fancy, then that would come under good. If the band play uninspired derivative homogenised DM-by-numbers, or lack songwriting skill or talent as musicians, or any combo thereof, then bad.

I really don't understand how you could possibly think most Death and Black Metal bands have no creative talent. Especially since you've admitted to not exploring either genre thoroughly. There is no more an "obvious formula" in DM or BM than there is in rock.

Exactly the same way you differentiate between a good or bad rock band. If the band makes well written, well played inspired creative music that tickles your fancy, then that would come under good. If the band play uninspired derivative homogenised DM-by-numbers, or lack songwriting skill or talent as musicians, or any combo thereof, then bad.

I really don't understand how you could possibly think most Death and Black Metal bands have no creative talent. Especially since you've admitted to not exploring either genre thoroughly. There is no more an "obvious formula" in DM or BM than there is in rock.
IAWTP.

But you might not want to say that last bit - some rock music can be extremely formulaic.

Extreme metal isn't for everyone (actually, it isn't for most people). VG just seems to be one of the many that it doesn't click with, but I still find it odd that he thinks the bands lack talent. I'd like to hear him write and play a good death metal or black metal song. I think it's pointless to try to get him into dm/bm, since it's probably not something he could ever learn to enjoy. He should just stick with his AC DC and Led Zeppelin.