Controversial opinions on metal

The first few he used another person's riffs though, so of course it was ace ;)

Only if you consider that person's stuff to be ace.
And there's no reason to assume their styles would mesh well.
The opening solo in No Remorse is pretty much what thrash is all about for me.

i think maybe i'm turned off because the production sounds rotten. plus the vocals are insanely horrid and the violin is gay and the drums suck and the whole mess just sounds atrocious. they are one band that i will just never "get". people call them melodic death metal? i guess i must not be into that. if that's melodic i really have no idea what the word means.

I would agree that the violin absolutely killed it for me. I've got nothing against violin's in metal just play the damn thing properly! Never had a problem with the vox. Gardens of Grief was decent and so was Terminal Spirit Disease.

Anybody who doesn't think Kirk Hammet's solos on the first four (arguably five) albums are fucking awesome is not somebody I want to know.

Whenever a metal band incorporates elements of other styles of music, people criticize it as being poor. Well of course, it's a metal guitarist playing sax. What do you expect? (I'm referring here to Suspyre - A Great Divide, where the guitarist plays some really basic sax stuff that's shitty as sax but works in the context of the song).

whoa nelly! I didn't expect this much backlash. I don't think it all sucks, just the heavily thrashy influenced OSDM. The riffs are too primitive and simplistic, and there is no depth to the music. I prefer the more intricate, complex sounds of modern death metal.
And I thought this was supposed to be a "controversial" opinions on metal thread? What would be the point if we all agreed on everyone's opinions here.

whoa nelly! I didn't expect this much backlash. I don't think it all sucks, just the heavily thrashy influenced OSDM. The riffs are too primitive and simplistic, and there is no depth to the music. I prefer the more intricate, complex sounds of modern death metal.
And I thought this was supposed to be a "controversial" opinions on metal thread? What would be the point if we all agreed on everyone's opinions here.

You mean the stuff that places technicality over songwriting? Yeah, I definitely like to listen to music based on how well the musician plays, even if it's terrible music.

Get learned, please.

most old school death metal sucks, except for Morbid Angel

That's your opinion.... Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it sucks.

If you read the rest of this thread, most of the opinions expressed are followed by flaming. It's just how it works.

Dude...no shit it's his opinion.

Anyhow, this isn't the controversial opinions amnesty thread. This is for making clear to our fellow forumers what posers we all are deep down inside.