Controversial opinions on metal

People who form opinions on bands without hearing their classic material are retards. It's akin to me saying Burzum sucks while having only heard Dauði Baldrs.

In other words, AchrisK, listen to Morbid Visions, Schizophrenia and Beneath the Remains.

I'm awestruck at AchrisK's dismissal of Sepultura, I thought he'd be a huge fan.

I don't remember specifics because it's been a little while, but I have tried to get into them twice over the last two years and both times was bored.

I think Roots and Beneath the Remains were highly recommended, thought they were meh.

Listen to anything up to and including Chaos A.D.

You clearly are if you don't like Obituary. You're just in the closet apparently.

They're not BAD, just worse than most of the other "classic" DM bands of the time. I mean, SWR came out in '89, right? So go listen to Altars of Madness, or Severed Survival, or Consuming Impulse, or Symphonies of Sickness, and then to Slowly and tell me it's not a little bit of a let-down.

EDIT: Deicide are the other big name I feel this way about. Far more so than Obituary tbh.

I better hear from you n00bs that pre-Arise Sepultura is as much better than Arise as Master of Puppets is better than the Black album or no deal.

They are better.

They're not BAD, just worse than most of the other "classic" DM bands of the time. I mean, SWR came out in '89, right? So go listen to Altars of Madness, or Severed Survival, or Consuming Impulse, or Symphonies of Sickness, and then to Slowly and tell me it's not a little bit of a let-down.

EDIT: Deicide are the other big name I feel this way about. Far more so than Obituary tbh.

You're dead to me

What's so good about Mithras?
Listen to Behind The Shadows Lie Madness and you'll find out.
Obviously Morbid Angel have an influence on them but it's not overwhelming.

You clearly are if you don't like Obituary. You're just in the closet apparently.
I'm way in there then.

I think Roots and Beneath the Remains were highly recommended, thought they were meh.
Get Arise and you'll change your mind.

I recommend you check out Worlds Beyond The Veil, that one blows me away every time. Awesome atmosphere.

Also, yeah Brutality is incredibly good.

But it's a totally different experience than those bands. It's more like old Brutality. It's in the heaviness and the tone of the guys fingers and the songwriting, not in the speed or complexity.