Controversial opinions on metal

lol

I didn't say it was all outright bad. I just said that it was expendable. If you take a look at your own collection and really evaluate what you have in there, you'll probably find that a lot of what you listen to it more or less expendable. I have at one point or another owned every Immortal album except At the Heart of Winter, so I won't comment on that, but nothing on the other albums has really come anywhere near the brilliance of the first two albums. Battles in the North is completely ruined by the horrendous drum production and essentially rendered unlistenable. Damned in Black is just a piss poor attempt at becoming 'thrashier.' Sons of Northern Darkness was a much better version of Damned in Black with a mixture of what I assume was initially brought to the table on At the Heart of Winter, but is still ultimately unfulfilling. I will say that I never gave Blizzard Beasts enough of a change before I sold it. I thought that there were some pretty strong ideas on that one, but it struck me as suffering from compositional issues. Nonetheless, still nothing essential. I really don't think anybody needs to own any Immortal albums after the first two, they're just extras that can be fun to listen to. They do put on a really good show though. At least they did in 2003, I don't know about now.

I see what you're saying; but by "expendable" I thought you basically meant that had none of those albums ever been made it would not have affected the history of metal. I didn't understand it in terms of owning the albums personally.

I'll meet you on the gridiron any day, friend. And, interestingly, in my experience, women tend to be a lot more receptive to clean-vocal metal. Win-win! :)

To some degree, I understand the appeal of a primal, animalistic roar in supplementing the passion of fast, heavy music. But I find speedy music with vocal melody works so much better for me.

Rock is too slow for me; extreme metal is too ugly. I'm happy in my in-between.

But I'm perfectly willing to take a ribbing for it here, just like my soft-rock-loving friends mock my tastes from the other end. Screw you all. For the kiiiiing for the laaaand for the mooooountains. :headbang:

I understand. Used to be the same way. There are women who like extreme metal though. My wife is one.

Not that clean vocals aren't awesome as well.

The thing about Immortal is..they make solid music (not great mind you) but they really are a complete embarrassment to the black metal culture in terms of their imagery, music videos and interview statements...and no argument shall go without proof:

Goofy poses: Check
immortal.jpg

Shitty, goofy, and blatantly unkvlt music video: Check

Now let the spam commence!

Last edited by a moderator:
haha anyone ever had the pleasure of reading the Abbath interview in one of the issues of Slayer mag,i can't remember which exact issue,i have them here but it'd take a while to find it,anyway the interviewer asks him why they have such a cold sound and how it hurts the amalgam in his teeth and Abbath got pissed off and said something along the lines "because your teeth is rotten",anyway it went something like that and i remember it being a literally laugh out loud interview,anyway Immortal rule,yes they are funny but they still kick ass,i'm gonna wade through a ton of mags to find it,one of the funniest interviews ever

Anyone else think that the last two Abigail tracks are so far ahead of the album that it makes the first seven a chore to wait through? And it's not like those two are Mercyful Fate-awesome either; the rest are just bland.

Ready for some real controversy?

1: Deathcore is actually very good.
2: Emperor is nothing special.
3: Job For a Cowboy's Doom is my favourite EP of all time.
4: Burzum's dark ambient material is as good as his black metal material.
5: Cryptopsy is boring and unoriginal.
6: Slayer's new material is terrible.

k

Some more for you all.

1: Vlad Tepes is far from the best LLN project.
2: Brave New World is the best Iron Maiden album by far.
3: Wongraven is not metal. Still good, though.
4: The majority of shred artists are pretentious dickheads.
5: Mayhem are nothing special. The only thing worth hearing is De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.
6: Bolt Thrower are obscenely overrated.
7: Black metal is better now then it was in the early 1990's.
8: I don't classify NSBM as a genre. Lyrical themes don't define your music style; i.e there is a proper way to play brutal death metal, instead of just having brutal lyrics.
9: Power metal in general has the tendency of coming off as a bit too pretentious.
10: Children of Bodom kick ass.

Schwärzung;8775773 said:
k

Some more for you all.

1: Vlad Tepes is far from the best LLN project.
2: Brave New World is the best Iron Maiden album by far.
3: Wongraven is not metal. Still good, though.
4: The majority of shred artists are pretentious dickheads.
5: Mayhem are nothing special. The only thing worth hearing is De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.
6: Bolt Thrower are obscenely overrated.
7: Black metal is better now then it was in the early 1990's.
8: I don't classify NSBM as a genre. Lyrical themes don't define your music style; i.e there is a proper way to play brutal death metal, instead of just having brutal lyrics.
9: Power metal in general has the tendency of coming off as a bit too pretentious.
10: Children of Bodom kick ass.

Just like that first batch, most of these are either not controversial, and in fact really obviously true (8, 9, 4, 5) or not controversial, just really obviously wrong.(6, 7, 10)

The standout for me is the Bolt Thrower comment. They're a fantastic, fun, consistent band- I read a review that compared opening one of their albums to opening a box of your favorite pizza, which is spot on. I guess you might find them a bit boring, but they definitely don't "suck."