Controversial opinions on metal

I remember them being completely disjointed and spazzy way before that became the vogue.

(It was still shit before the vogue).

Down isn't for everyone, though that can be said for every single band in existence. I personally don't like southern rock, or anything extremely blues based for that matter. That's probably why I love black metal and death metal so much.

Down sounds like Southern rock mixed with crap. Just sort of ridiculous, on the whole. There's a bunch of kids at my school who are into it. As you would expect, they constitute the "stoner skater" demographic.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

No. Don't get me wrong, I like Down's first disc immensely, their second disc for the most part, and approximately 7-9 seconds of the last disc. But better than Pantera? Not a chance.

On the other hand, both bands had a douchbag for a vocalist.

Pantera is perhaps the worst band in metal history aside from Six Feet Under.

Down is better by default.

Pantera really weren't half as bad as the cats in here make out. Vulgar display is really rather good, actually.

I also thought that Southern Trendkill was their best.

So 'ner!

I just don't like the music overall. It sounds like heavy southern blues drenched rock to me.

I think we get the idea by now. You hate anything blues-based.

NOLA is a good album. I haven't heard Down II and Down III blows donkey cock.

Acid Bath is amazing

Down II is about half good, whereas Down I is more like 95% good. However, the style on Down II isn't as gloomy and dark as on I, so it's kinda worth hearing just for the contrast.

Down sounds like Southern rock mixed with crap.

Why do I get the feeling you'd describe any Southern rock/metal band this way.

Vihris - have you heard the demo version of Bury me In smoke from the Dark Passages 2 doom comp ?

'Tis AWESOME! Actually, that compilation really kindled my love for Teh D00m

Vihris - have you heard the demo version of Bury me In smoke from the Dark Passages 2 doom comp ?

'Tis AWESOME! Actually, that compilation really kindled my love for Teh D00m

Nah. I'll try and check that out. Thanks for the rec. :kickass:

No problems! It's out of print I think (Rise above records - RISE 012) - but if you have trouble I have it - I just have to rip it if you just want the one track.

Theres aloads of great shit on there (from memory, too lazy to walk to the CD rack) Orange Goblin demo track, Iron Man, Pentagram, Trouble...

EDIT: and a great Cathedral track called Schizoid Puppetteer - though you can now get that on the bonus disc of their best of, much to my elitist chagrin.

I still like Slipknot & Trivium, and most of those "introductionary" metal (or not so metal in the case of Slipknot) bands.
I still listen to a lot of metalcore (and sub-genres).
I can't stand lo-fi death metal but lo-fi black metal gives me a hard on (not really controversial to anyone but classic death metal fans).
I don't like most death metal except blackened death metal or brutal death metal.
80% of grindcore sucks.
I still consider Dimmu Borgir some form of black metal.
Cradle of Filth's vocals are awsome.
Ghost Reveries is the best Opeth album.
New Children of Bodom is just as good as old Children of Bodom, just in a diffrent way.
Pig squeels are awsome and Job For A Cowboy's Doom is my favorite deathcore release ever.
Xasthur is the best USBM and best Depressive Black Metal band... ever.
Atreyu is metal, and their new album doesn't suck.

I could probally go on... I may love my black metal, and I may respect alot of elitist opinions... but I'm a sucker for softer music, and have a soft spot for metalcore...

I still like Slipknot & Trivium, and most of those "introductionary" metal (or not so metal in the case of Slipknot) bands.
I still listen to a lot of metalcore (and sub-genres).
I don't like most death metal except blackened death metal or brutal death metal.
Cradle of Filth's vocals are awsome.
Pig squeels are awsome and Job For A Cowboy's Doom is my favorite deathcore release ever.
Atreyu is metal, and their new album doesn't suck.

:zombie:
I have to absolutely disagree on that last one, btw. They are in no way metal. Simple fact.

- Can't stand Halford's vocals

- Heartwork (Carcass)is an awesome album :kickass:

- Slaughter of the Soul is AtG best album

- Everything Megadeth released after Rust in Peace sucks balls

- Technical Death Metal kicks ass (most bands,at least)

- Hellhammer's drumming bores me to tears :cry:

- Now, Diabolical is a fucking great album

- Marduk gets too much hate in this forum, they are a great BM band

- Can't stand Halford's vocals

- Heartwork (Carcass)is an awesome album :kickass:

- Slaughter of the Soul is AtG best album

- Technical Death Metal kicks ass (most bands,at least)

- Marduk gets too much hate in this forum, they are a great BM band

I have to agree with these. I personally thought Heartwork was Carcass's best release, not that I don't like grind, but I tend to play discs that are catchy in some way moreso than those.