Controversial opinions on metal

Prometheus is better than Equilibrium for sure. Also, I agree with the folks who say that Blessed is better than Altars.

Agreed on both. I was actually listening to IX Equilibrium just yesterday and I was pretty bored with it. I remember prometheus way more fondly.

And I too like "blessed are the sick" the best out of everything MA has done. AOM is probably second and then C and D. But I also like FFttF. Havent heard much of the rest though.

I used to think Blessed Are The Sick was mediocre, but that album has progressed to become my fav death metal album.

Blessed just flows incredibly well. The production used to bug me, but now I think it adds to the atmosphere.
It's the really subtle details that help it most. The subtle wind in Abominations, or the way the vox seem to at once be growling yet...whispering somehow, suggesting in a way. All sorts of things add up to that album being so good.

I think Covenant is the worst of the three "classic" MA albums and BATS is the best. And Altars is in the middle, in case I needed to add that.

great album but LOL

I'm not referring to the real classics, obviously, but there's certainly modern material (like that album) better than a lot of 90s releases, even some of the popular stuff, like Obituary's discog.

I think Covenant is the worst of the three "classic" MA albums and BATS is the best. And Altars is in the middle, in case I needed to add that.

This is how I've always felt though recently I've found myself liking Altars just a hair above Blessed. Those are the two metal albums I've been listening to more than any others recently though.

I don't get generator from Aborym. so far "does not compute" strangely enough is all I've enjoyed so far. I guess I prefer black metal with a slower tempo (autumn aurora anyone?)

RYM is THE best music related site on the entire web.

I don't get generator from Aborym. so far "does not compute" strangely enough is all I've enjoyed so far. I guess I prefer black metal with a slower tempo (autumn aurora anyone?)

RYM is THE best music related site on the entire web.

"Does Not Compute" is from With No Human Intervention, which is the least of their albums. Generator is arguably their best.

"Does Not Compute" is from With No Human Intervention, which is the least of their albums. Generator is arguably their best.

Yeah I know. I was just stating that I enjoy their filler better than their actual music. Suffer Cataclysm does have a good intro and I do enjoy the slow part when that guy starts speaking about murdering someone.

C gets extra points for having God of Emptiness and Rapture on it.

And Lions Den

You tried to name the best song on the album three times and still didn't manage to say Angel of Disease? Come on.

Altars > Covenant > Domination. I don't have BATS.
Yet.

I don't understand why people hold up Morten Veland's Sirenia stuff so incredibly high in gothic metal. Sure, I really like it, they've got some really good songs, but tbh a good portion of the first album all borrows bits and pieces from the second song on it, and there aren't really any interesting bridge or solo sections throughout despite it being almost an hour long. Yet Darkseed for example isn't half as well known despite being better. Or.. I dunno, name some other obscure gothic bands that either I don't know or you'll name out of not caring for the other band, or something. The point is old Sirenia is overrated and new Sirenia is compost.

But I do like some stuff off the one with Monika singing.