Controversial opinions on metal

Yeah I imagine a few people here are sick of seeing Opeth come up in this thread over and over again. I just did a quick check to see how many posts the word 'Opeth' comes up in this thread (including this one) and it's 333 of 19766, or 1.68%. A fair bit then.

Anyway, they opened with Windowpane (I'm pretty sure, it was something off Damnation anyway) on their last tour, and I just stood there thinking 'This is the most boring way to open a show ever, please end so we can get on to the next song.'

Yeah I imagine a few people here are sick of seeing Opeth come up in this thread over and over again. I just did a quick check to see how many posts the word 'Opeth' comes up in this thread (including this one) and it's 333 of 19766, or 1.68%. A fair bit then.

Anyway, they opened with Windowpane (I'm pretty sure, it was something off Damnation anyway) on their last tour, and I just stood there thinking 'This is the most boring way to open a show ever, please end so we can get on to the next song.'

Windowpane is such a gorgeous song. Ah I love that album. If you're a metal adrenaline junkie they're probably not the ones for you though.

Damnation is great. I am surprised that the band didn't pursue that sound further, I mean I know it would alienate a lot of their fans, but I would personally like to hear them make another album in that style.

excuse my ignorance but are we talking about Testament here?

I second that, Monotheist rapes the old stuff. though it was really influential its just boring and lame compared to that mighty beast of a cd.

I actually get kinda bored with Monotheist after a while. I'd rather listen to the first two, not that Monotheist is bad, I just cant normally finish it in one sitting.

I dont really feel like arguing about opeth, but the people who say they're terrible and the people who worship them both blow them out of proportion. Opeth is a talented band, with it's share of good albums and bad ones.

I actually get kinda bored with Monotheist after a while. I'd rather listen to the first two, not that Monotheist is bad, I just cant normally finish it in one sitting.

I dont really feel like arguing about opeth, but the people who say they're terrible and the people who worship them both blow them out of proportion. Opeth is a talented band, with it's share of good albums and bad ones.

I don't feel I'm blowing it out of proportion at all.

I really do believe that Opeth has little, if any, skill at cohesive songwriting whatsoever. Haphazardly placing soft and loud, harsh and clean sections together to illustrate "contrast", with the occasional drawn-out riff for good measure, doesn't make for good or intelligent songwriting IMO, it makes for pseudo-intellectual douchebaggery.

There are very few metal bands I can say I wish would just cease (or at least, cease having to hear about), but Opeth is one. Sorry.