Coronavirus cases and deaths among UM members

As soon as I saw that photo I knew you'd do that lmfao.
source.gif

Reactions: CiG
Ok now they closed all restaurants, bars, they left only stores with food and pharmacies. No beerbarz open. :eek:

Still no corona in WV but people are freaking out just the same. The oilfield is taking an absolute nosedive in this tristate area. (any one else in the business? Dunno if its nationwide) Walmart is closing at night early now. Hope that doesn't last because it's one of the ways I avoided people.

The teachers at the kid's school are livid. Shit is being cancelled or postponed left, right and centre, they are even looking at cancelling assemblies because apparently there is something bad about the whole school (which is less than 500 people) meeting in a hall. But it's ok to have them all in classrooms. There is two weeks left of school, no cases of the virus have been reported even close to here and the teachers just want to get on with school but the stupid fucking state government here is making it harder for them that than federal government is.

So, NYC Department of Education public schools are closed and will be closed until April 20th, announced Mayor De Blasio.

Honestly, I'm grateful. Even if I'm healthy enough to fight off this virus, I live with my mom who's 70 years old and I don't want to bring nothing to her to get her sick. Additionally, on Friday I taught only to 6 kids. 4 kids in one class, and 2 kids in the other. Parents are already pulling their kids out of school anyways. I also teach middle school, so the childcare thing isn't really an issue. However, theres over 1,000 kids at my school with over 300 staff members. A lot of the staff come from Westchester areas like New Rochelle, which a portion has been quarantined by the virus. It just doesn't make sense to keep schools opened. There are kids with immunocompromised diseases too. I suppose because I work with Special Education kids, I run into these kids a lot since they're in my classes (i'm talking about cystic fibrosis, diabetes, autoimmune diseases, heart issues, thyroid issues, etc) but in this day and age childhood obesity has exposed a lot of our children to diseases like diabetes and stuff too.

I'd honestly be willing to hand out food to kids who are in need or even volunteer my time for child care services for health professions who need it, if the right protective gear and precaution was given. I'm not willing to go about like nothing's happening when theres over 329 people in NYC with the virus and everything is "business as usual." At the end of the day teachers and school staff have families too. We have health issues too. So, that whole school shouldn't be closed is ridiculous and is often a sentiment reiterated by those who don't work in the school system and see how close and tight are classrooms are.

Right now a contingency plan should be in the making to assist children who need to eat and rely on the school for food (which HELLO that's a fucking problem) and to assist those who need day care. I will tell you though, this isn't the majority as kids have been pulled out from Friday. There are teachers willing to assist and help where we can. Also, starting next week, I'll be doing remote classes VIA google classroom. We'll see how that goes.

Stay safe everyone!

Also, I live sorta in the hood... so my super market had toilet tissue paper, pasta, paper towel, and beans. They were limiting the amount of Lysol people can get though. And you can tell people were buying shit like crazy as the shelves weren't as stacked, but in my neighborhood they weren't ODing yet.

Reactions: Carpe Mortem
In this country the health department is not keen to shut schools without a positive case. They know the strain shutting schools puts on the rest of the system. They can't police everyone to self isolate, kids not at school puts a massive strain on the childcare system, but even more of a strain on industry and especially healthcare because such a large portion of the parents will need to take time off too look after their kids out of school. Private schools are shutting down but as yet government schools are only shutting down if someone tests positive.

Also, I live sorta in the hood... so my super market had toilet tissue paper, pasta, paper towel, and beans. They were limiting the amount of Lysol people can get though. And you can tell people were buying shit like crazy as the shelves weren't as stacked, but in my neighborhood they weren't ODing yet.

Lol I live in bfe and it's similar situation. I had my grandma by for coffee the other day and she was overjoyed that the local gas station had eggs. Apparently closer to civilization those are running out too.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
Honestly I'm surprised NYC is only at 329 considering like most cities it's sardine living conditions.

Also the selfism among young and middle-aged people in reaction to the virus has been pretty fucked up honestly. Older people and people with underlying health issues are beneath consideration now? And I'm not even talking about the edgy Social-Darwinist types, I'm talking about people who usually talk a big game about healthcare and welfare needs.

I guess a lot of people just hate their parents and grandparents.