Corsets: OT sort of

Hey Tess- you and sis still on for anti-corset night? :devil:
1316760075_l.jpg

I hope "anti" doesn't mean making this go away.:lol:

Hey Tess- you and sis still on for anti-corset night? :devil:

Hey now, you know that I love ya, but no need to be negative. It's just a fun thing for the ladies to do. We don't require anyone to participate, nor do we berate anyone for not wanting to join in. I was hoping that we'd all be cool enough to respect those who do want to partake. :)

From what I understood, corset night was started so all the women in the fest could come together as a big group, because, on the whole, the women at the fest get along more so than any other large gathering of women. Meaning we are fairly drama free.

Each year, we have people that aren't in corsets that are in the picture and that's fine, I'd personally love to see all the women in the fest gather into the picture.

If you chose to wear a corset, great. If you chose to "boycott" it that's fine too. If you chose to be different and wear your corset on the other night, go for it. It wasn't started with the thought of men staring us down, or the cutsey- twin ideal of "Let's all dress alike so we can all be like totally cool." It is along the lines of, "Let's all do something fun and wear corsets to unify our sister hood!"

But as I said, to each their own, but as we respect your right to not want to wear a corset, please respect ours that we would like to. It's been a fairly popular thing with the ladies (and of course the men).

BTW- This wasn't just directed at one person to single anyone out. It's a compromise to the generic "you" who might feel the absolute need to protest.

-Metal

(being very long waisted can make or break the fit and comfort of a corset) don't help make the search any easier..gah!

I have the same problem. There was a guy at WorldCon last year selling *wonderful* corsets... nice solid fabric, articulated metal boning, laced up very comfortably, nothing poking or bulging anywhere. But they just weren't quite *long* enough, and they didn't do custom-fits. bah.

I'm excited about Corset night! But uhh...I notice most of the women appear to be wearing skirts. I was just going to wear jeans. Is that okay?

@Yardley: How come every time you post here, things get naughty? :D

I'm excited about Corset night! But uhh...I notice most of the women appear to be wearing skirts. I was just going to wear jeans. Is that okay?

I usually wear jeans with corset night - or black slacks - haven't worn a skirt yet, but you never know.

@Yardley: How come every time you post here, things get naughty? :D

Isn't it great! I almost pinched your hiney at SymphonyX but decided you may not be ready for me yet :)

I will be wearing my usual tshirt. What is the point of wearing a corset to a metal show????? I'm there to support my bands, not be looked at!

I will be wearing my usual tshirt. What is the point of wearing a corset to a metal show????? I'm there to support my bands, not be looked at!

to each his own. the point for most is a fun, female bonding sort of thing, old friends, new friends it's all good. Like Metal said above, don't down others for something you don't wish to participate in...do your things, they'll do theirs. One big metal family at one big metal party. :headbang:

Sometimes it's just fun to dress up. They do it a LOT at metal fests in other countries. This is really the only chance some of us have to get a little fashion crazy. Why not? It's all just in good fun, for those who are into it.

Sometimes it's just fun to dress up. They do it a LOT at metal fests in other countries. This is really the only chance some of us have to get a little fashion crazy. Why not? It's all just in good fun, for those who are into it.

Yeah, I felt horribly out of place at Tuska. Of course, I also wasn't expecting that many Vinyl-wearing glam goths at an outdoor metal festival either. But....that's what I get for living out of a rucksack for 3 weeks.

to each his own. the point for most is a fun, female bonding sort of thing, old friends, new friends it's all good. Like Metal said above, don't down others for something you don't wish to participate in...do your things, they'll do theirs. One big metal family at one big metal party. :headbang:

This is the part that is a little frustrating for us non-corset wearers. I have no desire to rain on anyone's parade because if you have fun doing it, go for it! Wearing corsets doesn't hurt a soul.

But, since I don't wear a corset, I'm not part of the bonding? That sucks.

-Sarah

Okay, look folks... if you want to participate, great. If you don't... great. But you don't have to feel left out just because you don't wear a corset... do what you want to do. There are plenty of "bonding opportunities" over the weekend. Most of them involve either alcohol, Yardley Bates, or both, though--consider yourself warned. ;) Hell, you can "participate" without wearing anything even remotely resembling a corset.

Seriously, this started as a small thing, and we had so much fun, and it just sort of turned up the whole camaraderie thing, which I don't think a lot of us experience in our day-to-day lives (you know, since there are SO many other women like us everywhere :p), it just turned into a bigger thing.

It just gets REAL tiring to hear people dissing those who choose to participate... we're not dissing those who don't, so...???

Quite frankly, I don't know if I'll wind up wearing a corset this year, but I don't think I'm going to feel "left out" or a need to be "anti-corset."

There, rant over. Carry on!!

Shaye

Nobody's dissing those who choose to participate; they're just saying that when Corset Night is referred to as a female bonding thing, it has the implication that those who choose not to wear one, for whatever reason, are not welcome. It's kinda turned into a cliquey thing that makes others feel left out, even if that isn't the intent.

Me, I don't really care; I wear 'em because they're one of the very few fashionny things that make me look hawt, and I'll wear 'em whether there's a corset night or not!

There isn't a clique, we're just the females that attend ProgPower. I don't know how many people I've counted in the corset night pic, who don't have corsets or anything remotely resembling one on. Yeah, we've got a thread about it.

I don't like to leave people out and I talk to people at Prog as much as I can. This was something I started for the fun of it. If you feel left out, I'm sorry, but you're more than welcome to discuss t-shirts or, whatever.

Now, can we get over sounding like non-metal females and get back to being ourselves again?

But, since I don't wear a corset, I'm not part of the bonding? That sucks.
-Sarah

NOT AT ALL!! I bonded (I said bonded not bondage, Yardley!) with plenty of the ladies and have not worn corsets at the designated night, this will be first year corset night for me. They are all lovely,wonderful, friendly and outgoing ladies. What you wear at PP shouldn't effect how you interact with them.

Egads, the ammount of drama this corset thing is producing is ridiculous!

Honestly, if anyone feels left out for NOT wearing a corset, it's because you choose to feel left out. If I forget mine, I'm not going to feel left out because I'm not wearing one. OH NOES! NO CORSET! NOT ONE OF US!!! *snort* please. Not one woman here has said anything near that, nor has it been implied.

People find exclusion where they want to find it.

Yardley: You should have! Because I seriously didn't see you AT ALL. Although...I'm not sure I should be giving you the go-ahead to pinch my rear. Al might get jealous. :D

NOT AT ALL!! I bonded (I said bonded not bondage, Yardley!) with plenty of the ladies and have not worn corsets at the designated night, this will be first year corset night for me. They are all lovely,wonderful, friendly and outgoing ladies. What you wear at PP shouldn't effect how you interact with them.

...would get quite a turnout with bondage, though. ;)

-Sarah