Cover songs by Symphony X?

Krondor

Jan 16, 2008
Finland
I was wondering have they ever played any covers live?

I would wanna hear Gates of Babylon by Rainbow. It sounds very Symphony X to me and would love to hear it.

So tell me what songs you would wanna hear Symphony X covering, if any.

i think theres a video somewhere on tube with heaven and hell during a soundcheck, i agree with you on gates of babylon, maybe also sails of charon or stargazer too.

They've recently been doing a short cover of Immigrant Song live, but that's all I know about.

A long while back I downloaded a song from mp3.com, and recently stumbled upon it elsewhere on the net of Symphony X doing a song called "The Tragic Prince" It's a medley of Castlevania; Symphony of the Night tunes, not sure if it's actually Symphony X though, I've not seen it mentioned on any discog. or anything like that. But it is an awesome track.

Yeah, I've seen that connection somewhere too, but I think it's only because of the name of the game, "SYMPHONY of the night".

Most likely any of the Castlevania "Metal" music you hear is courtesy of KATSU OHTA (ARK STORM) who did the guitar work in the Konami released "Dracula Battle I and II" soundtracks.

Reactions: aray1751
To be honest, I don't want to hear Symphony X play any covers. They have a big enough back catalog to fill up a set pretty easily without covers, and I'd rather hear bands play their original works.

I kind of agree with the Detective.

I would love to hear Russell singing a lot of cover songs...but Symphony X playing them? I think it would be a let down, I'd rather hear their music. It would slightly shatter the SX mystique to hear cover songs at gig.

However, if Russell did a solo tour, I would freak to hear songs like Gates of Babylon or some Dio/Rainbow/Sabbath stuff. Also, some Bad Company, Kansas, maybe even Skynyrd. Maybe he can do a covers album.

A long while back I downloaded a song from mp3.com, and recently stumbled upon it elsewhere on the net of Symphony X doing a song called "The Tragic Prince" It's a medley of Castlevania; Symphony of the Night tunes, not sure if it's actually Symphony X though, I've not seen it mentioned on any discog. or anything like that. But it is an awesome track.

Tht track confused me also...mentioned as a Symphony X song...its cool though

it would be awesome to hear a romeo interpretation of the solo in gates of babylon or stargazer, definately some of the best work blackmores ever been involved in.

it would be awesome to hear a romeo interpretation of the solo in gates of babylon or stargazer, definately some of the best work blackmores ever been involved in.

I think it would be cool if they made some bonus tracks covering those songs, but I wouldn't want 7-10 minutes of a gig taken up by something that isn't their work.

That's always been my dislike of bands like Dream Theater who take 20+ minutes of a gig to play an extended boring-ass Pink Floyd cover where John Petrucci noodles for like 10 minutes at the end. Play your own shit!

I just gotta say I had heard of Rainbow before I read this post but I had never actually listened to one song and when I saw someone said Gates of Babylon would be a good cover I went and DL'd it. I just have to say that is one of the most Symphony X sounding songs I have ever heard and it's amazing.

I went so far as to download the Yngwie Malmsteen cover version w/ Tim Owens singing and its absolutely amazing. I would love to see Symphony X cover this song, its perfect!

I think they could do a mean cover of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, maybe that's just me though

I second that some of those epic sounding Rainbow songs would be nice bonus tracks on a CD, atleast I wouldn't mind!