Crimson II - nobody talks about this anymore

"C2 is not for death metal fans. It's for people that like music and brutal...."

Outside of those that listen to death or extreme metal, who honestly is going to put up with 45 minutes of death growls?

I implore the fact that he wants to move away from 'straight up EOS riffage and death metal', but then why in hell's name didn't he use more clean vocals in Crimson II? That was a significant let down for me. I'm not saying turn it into Nightingale, but the balance on Purgatory was near perfect.

I would have paid twice as much for C2 had Swano gone with Tagtren and Akerfeld for growls, and he himself came in with MANY more clean vox. Then his statement would hold more water IMO.

Aye, way too much growling. Half the segments would have benefitted with clean vocal work. I could have gone for some Tagtgren clean vocals too, I think his clean voice sounds better than even his best growls and screams.

So how about the story? I think the lyrics are much better written on Crimson II, but the storyline is more a sidequest (been playing video games lately, forgive me) than a wholly separate story, like the first one was.

To his credit, Crimson II is a more progressive affair, instead of having many many catchy parts strung together there are more weird time signatures and "artsy" passages, which is why it's taking some time to grow on me (and also why I'm finally starting to enjoy a bit of it after 10+ listens). I think I'll always want to shave 15 minutes off it though, it's too damn long.

I agree with Swanö, Åkerfeldt is good but overused... He's been used on Crimson I, Bloodbath and Katatonia already, excepting Opeth...

Erik said:
I agree with Swanö, Åkerfeldt is good but overused... He's been used on Crimson I, Bloodbath and Katatonia already, excepting Opeth...
True, but he is good. And my main complaint with Crimson II is the lack of clean vocals anyway. :p

"you gotta count deez rocks, bee-aye-otch"

An old garage band of mine had a song about smoking crack and that was the chorus, taken from Chris Rock.

Papa Josh said:
Jay, jay, jay,

Stop smoking the crackrock....

Moontower is phenom!

Just picked up Crimson 2 today, will return with verdict soon...
I might revisit Moontower - hopefully I'll eat my words.

Two things:

(1) Swano's stuff is not that instant.

(2) After Crimson II, I might like Moontower. Hope it's got clean vocals aplenty.

Demonspell said:
It doesn't...but it does contain some of Swano's best rough vocals, and I think it's one of his best works overall...
OK I'll give it another try. Stranger things have happened. Shame though that he doesn't make more use of his clean vocals in his "death metal" and outside of Nightingale.

If you want Swano's clean vocals and harder stuff than Nightingale, try out Odyssey. It's only a 3-song EP, but it's pretty darn good.

Me, I've always liked his growls more. Moontower is great.

I have no problem with Crimson II. I could easily throw it on right now and listen to it two times in a row. Odd for me, considering I normally do a complete 180 from anything with a drum machine.

I've always maintained that Dan's best vocals are on the Odyssey project.

ScottG said:
I have no problem with Crimson II. I could easily throw it on right now and listen to it two times in a row. Odd for me, considering I normally do a complete 180 from anything with a drum machine.

I've always maintained that Dan's best vocals are on the Odyssey project.
What?! Crimson II has a drum machine?!

I was suspicious with that terrible TERRIBLE snare drum sound on Crimson II, but I didn't know it was a drum machine??? Why would he, he's an awesome drummer!

I always thought there was something very 'artificial' about Crimson II, but now I think I'm being swayed even more by this rumour.

Not to dispute ScottG, but can anyone confirm whether this is true or not? Was it an issue with time and money?

Well I wouldn't consider digital drums far from being real, I've played a few myself and while the tone is not comparable to a real kit, the technique is still necessary.

However, the potential to cheat is there, and he did play to a click track I guess. Either way, at least I know now why the snare drum sounds like shite. Thanks, ScottG.