Crimson II - nobody talks about this anymore

I had never even heard of Katatonia or Edge of Sanity when I picked up that Bloodbath EP, and I always loved it. I picked it up when I started getting into Opeth, and personally I think it has Mikael's best vocal performance.

hahaha, now I get it. But actually "kata-boys" was written because I'm lazy.

NAD proves my point. He picked it up when he was getting into Opeth, and probably would not have gotten it if it didn't involve already established musicians.

Dreamlord said:
NAD proves my point. He picked it up when he was getting into Opeth, and probably would not have gotten it if it didn't involve already established musicians.
I thought your point was that critics loved it only because it had members of established acts. :loco:

I probably would have never heard it without the Opeth connection, but my love for it would remain unchanged. I know it was supposed to be the "return to roots, no frills death metal" thing, but I always thought it sounded pretty modern anyhow, just in a basic style.

My point was that critics, reviewers, or fans would not have cared, in any capacity, had Bloodbath not had members from Opeth, Katatonia, or Dan Swano.

Papa Josh said:
I seem to remember you enjoying Bloodbath quite a bit.
Heh, I bought my Bloodbath from Dreamlord over a year ago.

I don't even think that's a fair and adequate comparison as the album and EP are pretty fuckin good, and that's coming from a well known fan of brutal death metal.
I'll admit I liked both the Bloodbath EP and the full-length as well. (Man, that picture of the hand coming out the grave on the inside of the album is just brilliant. I want that framed.) Anyway, the thing is, had it not contained famous band members, would anyone in the world have even discovered the band?

Re: Crimson II, well that just wasn't my style, and somebody made sense one day by calling it 'Moontower II', and since I hate Moontower, I sleep at night knowing that Crimson II isn't for me.

Crimson II is The Godfather III. Or it's Jaws 3D. Maybe it's Rocky V. Or it's the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi.

Dreamlord said:
My point was that critics, reviewers, or fans would not have cared, in any capacity, had Bloodbath not had members from Opeth, Katatonia, or Dan Swano.

Jesus, how do you know that? If the cd still fell into their laps and like NAD said, had loved the music regardless, they still could've had the same response. I mean, what, do you think a reviewer is scared to knock 'em or something? Like, OMG, they've got members of Katatonia, Opeth and Dan Swano, I'd better not say a bad word about them.... ooo, they might not ever send me another promo or picture.... :D

C'mon, you are a hater! :lol:

JayKeeley said:
Heh, I bought my Bloodbath from Dreamlord over a year ago.
Yep, hope you liked it more than I did. I think I owned it for about a month.

Anyway, the thing is, had it not contained famous band members, would anyone in the world have even discovered the band?
Precisely.

Crimson II is The Godfather III. Or it's Jaws 3D. Maybe it's Rocky V. Or it's the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi.
Dude, the Ewoks rule.

Papa Josh said:
I mean, what, do you think a reviewer is scared to knock 'em or something? Like, OMG, they've got members of Katatonia, Opeth and Dan Swano, I'd better not say a bad word about them.... ooo, they might not ever send me another promo or picture.... :D
Yes, I am positive some review sites are afraid to give bad reviews to high profile acts such as Opeth or Katatonia or side projects with them. Of course, this is no fault of the band, but of gutless critics. Or it could be that a review site has a fanboy review all of his favorite bands albums.

And I don't think it's the promos they are afraid of losing, although many sites give constant positive reviews to stay on promo lists, rendering their reviews moot, and the site nothing more than a promo-whore. But, believe it or not, many critics are scared of being flamed for their opinion.

JayKeeley said:
Dreamlord said:
Dude, the Ewoks rule.
All those sequels had their moments or clever points, but weren't very consistent. Just like Crimson II. :loco:

It was cool how the Ewoks used swinging tree trunks to destroy those walkers, but riding speeder bikes out of control and looking like teddy bears? At times it became a little gay. Just like Crimson II. :loco:

I am the analogy king.

Dreamlord said:
Yes, I am positive some review sites are afraid to give bad reviews to high profile acts such as Opeth or Katatonia or side projects with them.
Add Devin Townsend to that list, although BWD slammed the last SYL.

Yeah, add Devy. I love most of his works. I like SYL and Accelerated Evolution very much when I got them, but they eventually ran out of steam, and I never play AE and SYL has been sold. I can't stand Infinity.

So is Resurrection Through Carnage worth picking up? I never heard a positive comment about that album until now.

The Ewoks own!

http://www.digitalmetal.com/reviews.asp?cid=3826

"It does appear that Resurrection Through Carnage is all meat and no filler, but you’ll not find another album so carefully penned, especially for this genre."

www.metalbite.com

"Classic - no more, no less."

http://www.sonicdeath.co.uk/reviews/artist_page.asp?aID=21

"what we have here is without a shadow of doubt the year’s best Death Metal release. Nile, Vader — stand aside!"

www.tartareandesire.com

9/10

http://www.metal-observer.com/gb/reviews/rev2294.html

8/10

You have it all wrong! The Ewoks were the beginning of the end. Empire Strikes Back was dark throughout, with that nihilistic ending, and Return of the Jedi started in fine form. The minute everyone gets to the Endor Moon, you can smell Jar Jar Binks taking a dump behind one of those trees.

My only salvation is that since the destruction of the second Death Star, with the explosion being so close to Endor, the nuclear winter that would have taken effect on Endor made everything die and become extinct. Oh yes, Endor is a lifeless, cold, crater filled moon with nothing left living. It was a premediated Ewok holocaust - Lando Carlissian knew exactly what he was doing.

Okay, I guess I need to get that thar Bloodbath full length then.

Empire Strikes Back was dark throughout, with that nihilistic ending
Sure, if by nihilistic you mean incomplete. :)

Oh yes, Endor is a lifeless, cold, crater filled moon with nothing left living.
You are so evil. :tickled:

yeah, the ending of Empire stunk, very incomplete. Here Luke, here's your robot hand, now that that's taken care of, lets end the movie.

Yeah but Fellowship and Two Towers also end without much conclusion. That's the point of a trilogy I guess - you know, waiting for the third and final part.

I actually think Empire was the best of the three SW movies. The battle on the ice planet Hoth is remarkable, Luke in training with Yoda, introducing Boba Fett and the bounty hunters, the cloud city and Lando, Luke getting his ass kicked by Darth Vader after realizing he was his father, and Han Solo being carbonated and taken off to Jabba.

But if you prefer watching Ewoks throwing stones at Stormtroopers then fair game.

I agree...Bloodbath would have likely been ridiculed for being shamelessly derivative if not for the musicians involved. As for Devin, I liked Accelerated Evolution even though it did represent a step down in ambition, and the SYL was more or less poorly received...I haven't seen any obvious brownnosing in the reviews for it.

Demonspell said:
I agree...Bloodbath would have likely been ridiculed for being shamelessly derivative if not for the musicians involved. As for Devin, I liked Accelerated Evolution even though it did represent a step down in ambition, and the SYL was more or less poorly received...I haven't seen any obvious brownnosing in the reviews for it.

Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, I think the album is great. The final track on that album is a classic that never was!

In regards to Accelerated Evolution, I think you are crazy. A step down in ambition? To actually call it the Devin Townsend BAND and play a record without Gene Hoglan on drums, I think that was pretty ambitious. There are a number of songs on that album that are out there...

My review stands to this day. :headbang: