Cynic

theyre mentioned here quite often actually. theyre pretty tasty, although a bit overrated at this point i think. my only gripe was the robot vocals...pretty hard to digest, and i have about as open a mind as it gets. oh well

Focus is a great album. They have been mentioned quite frequently since I've been here but I'd rather talk about them than most other bands that are mentioned on here.

I never understood why anyone complains about those vocals. I can honestly say I never once thought they were out of place. Then I jump online after hearing them and all the reviews are like, "OMG holy shit jizz on Cynic's face!....except for the robot vocals." I always thought they were an interesting mix into the metal sound.

Edit: ^ Agalloch says, "Fuck looking into the camera. We cannot be bothered by such a pittance."

PeeWee1473 said:
I never understood why anyone complains about those vocals. I can honestly say I never once thought they were out of place. Then I jump online after hearing them and all the reviews are like, "OMG holy shit jizz on Cynic's face!....except for the robot vocals." I always thought they were an interesting mix into the metal sound.

lucky you. but thats how i felt about the mars volta vocalist actually...i thought he was always fantastic and then i hear people bitching about him. so what can you do.

Yeah, I liked Mars Volta guy too. As for robot vocals, usually I find they're low enough in the mix that I just don't notice them. But then, I don't usually listen to Focus all at once in general...

Still, they're the only real band to have successfully done the jazz-metal thing - at least to my knowledge.

In fact, this is great timing, because I was gonna ask if anyone could give some good jazz-metal recommendations. That is, besides Cynic, Atheist, Aghora, Pestilence, Death/Control Denied, Lunar Sphere, Spiral Architect, Zero Hour, Spastic Ink, Watchtower. Those are the ones I know (and I'm realizing I don't know very much in the genre at all, which upsets me). So, can anyone help me out yet?

coolsnow7 said:
Yeah, I liked Mars Volta guy too. As for robot vocals, usually I find they're low enough in the mix that I just don't notice them. But then, I don't usually listen to Focus all at once in general...

Still, they're the only real band to have successfully done the jazz-metal thing - at least to my knowledge.

In fact, this is great timing, because I was gonna ask if anyone could give some good jazz-metal recommendations. That is, besides Cynic, Atheist, Aghora, Pestilence, Death/Control Denied, Lunar Sphere, Spiral Architect, Zero Hour, Spastic Ink, Watchtower. Those are the ones I know (and I'm realizing I don't know very much in the genre at all, which upsets me). So, can anyone help me out yet?

can you tell me what all those bands have to do with jazz plz? kthx

wow really?? i've been hearing great things about the demos and i finally found a (live?) set of three early songs, and they are great imo. different from focus because they lack the progressive traits but really good technical thrash/death metal type stuff, pretty similar to Consuming Impulse-era Pestilence, albeit much better.

The Focus demo (1991) is pretty good but the stuff earlier than that... awful... and I believe I have all of their early demo's somewhere