Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

well, omaha is a liberal college town. he's the omaha area rep, right?

youre still right though. even in san fransisco i would be suprised an agnostic would win. not that religion should be a factor at all.
~gR~

I went to a Jehovah's Witness church in Redmond, WA with my cousin once. It was odd. No windows and we were greeted by this creepy guy in a suit. He told us about it briefly and said we couldn't come in without nicer clothes. At that time we saw two really hot girls walk in. Very odd.

As a teacher, I can vouch firsthand for many negative influences "rap-culture" has on the youth of today, but I doubt it reaches as far as school-shootings. Especially considering that absolute majority of school shootings is in USA, and we have no shortage of gangstas here in Europa.

I meant that nine times out of ten the kids who shoot up their schools are outcasts. I think the issue, moreso than parenting, is that kids can be so cruel to each other. Being ostracized like that can be extremley damaging to a person.

It's not NEW news, but this could make for a good discussion.

A lot of the forum members here are in school, or are planning on returning. Seeing that education is one of the key aspects to the upcoming American presidential election, I figure it would be cool to have a few threads devoted to some specific subjects. Since not many of the candidates have released their full plans, it's kind of hard to talk about how they would indeed change anything at all...but at least one of them has:

n Iowa, Edwards Unveils Education Plan -- Including Universal Pre-K
By Benjy Sarlin - September 21, 2007, 2:07PM

Standing in front of a Middle School in Des Moines today, John Edwards laid out an ambitious education agenda that includes everything from universal preschool to a massive overhaul of No Child Left Behind. Details after the jump.

John Edwards' plan covers a wide variety of issues. Here are some of the highlights:

1) Universal Pre-school
Edwards' plan would fund pre-school education in low income neighborhoods with the goal of expanding towards universal pre-school education. Attendance would be voluntary and families would pay for the service on a sliding scale. Edwards also wants to replicate North Carolina's Start Smart program on a national scale. Start Smart prepares young children for school by funding health screenings and family counseling in addition to child care and early education.

2) Create Incentives to Teach in Poor Schools
Veteran teachers and teachers who are certified for excellence would be eligible for $5,000 bonuses for working in schools with high poverty. Successful schools in poor areas could reward their teachers with a $5,000 bonus.

3) Recruit and Retain New Teachers
Edwards wants to create a National Teachers University, "a West Point for teachers," that would train 1,000 college students a year and waive tuition if they worked in low-income schools afterwards. To deal with high burnout rates among new teachers, Edwards proposes easing young teachers into the profession with lower workloads at first and by pairing them with veteran mentors.

4) Reform No Child Left Behind
Edwards wants to change NCLB to incorporate broader and more long term measures of student performance. His proposed reforms would also give states more freedom to distribute funds and implement their own reforms.

5) More Schools, Smaller Schools, More Integrated Schools
Edwards emphasizes smaller class and school sizes. Wading into one of the great controversial issues of the 1970s, Edwards says that racial and economic segregation are national problems. However, while acknowledging "income diversity is not a substitute for racial diversity," Edwards directly addresses only the economic end, calling on states to create more magnet schools in poor areas and to create incentives for middle class schools to enroll more poor students. To boost graduation rates among poor students, Edwards proposes schools dedicated to educating former dropouts.

Frankly, imoo, the NCLB act should be disbanded altogether, seeing as it is a horrible way to not only gauge the performance of children, but to get children to learn. As it is, the act is focusing to be more test oriented (which results in schools becoming giant test taking factories) - real learning ceases to take place in such environments, and children/people really only learn how to choose the best answers from a given list. If Edwwards would actually describe his reformation of it, I may be intrigued...but if it is going to be such a huge overhaul, why not just start with a new framework?

But what do you guys & gals think of this? Any opinions? Critiques? I figured it would be best to test out this idea for a thread like this in the news thread before making a bunch of other threads that will just take up space. So get talking! Lest this fail miserably and I look the biggest of fools here :cry:

the only reason he wants to reform NCLB is because republicans made it. he wants to use education as an election platform. not only to help himself, but to attack republicans

NCLB is NOT a bad plan. NCLB significantly increased the ammount of money that goes to schools. if i remember the numbers correctly, funding has more than doubled since bush came into office.

any plan to improve education has my interest. its our nations biggest issue IMO. but we have to do it right. what exactly is edward's plan? those are all nobel goals, but how do you create more intergrated schools? and more importantly, what is edward's plan to fund all of this stuff? i seriously dont trust him to spend the money properly. if he can break it down, and be specific, then cool. but dems have a tendancy to just give schools a lump sum with no caveats (like, $X must go to books) and it ends up going toward a scoreboard. lastly, we dont need more teachers, we need more QUALITY teachers. how you accomplish that is beyond me though. trying to pump out teachers like a chinese factory pumps out toys isnt the right plan, cuz then kids die from lead poisoning.

i want our schools to be better, and i want our society to become more intelligent. anyone who wants to solve this problem has my interest, republican or democrat. but campaign promises arent going to do it. you need a serious plan that can actually work. if edwards has a detailed plan, id like to see it
~gR~

It also causes schools to focus only on doing well on tests, which I shouldn't need to explain why this is a bad thing. No Child Left Behind was a noble effort, but highly, highly misguided and clearly written by people who don't understand how the education system works. It either needs a massive overhaul or needs to be scrapped for good. Schools are continually doing worse and worse with more kids dropping out yearly.

youre right, focusing on testing is bad. but theyve always done that, even before NCLB. i agree it sucks, but has anyone suggested an alternative? id be glad to hear it. too many people say " this is bad" without an idea to solve the problem. a flat rate across the board wont work because of costs for each school vary by location, population, etc. lets not forget that we need testing to see how our schools are actually doing anyways.

here is what i would do. curve the spending. everyone takes a test and you rank em lowest to highest. you then fund the best and worst equally and as you move toward the middle you get closer and closer to a set baseline funding level. that way the schools that need the help get the money, but there is also an incentive for schools to do well.

and sorry if there are other replies i'm missing. UM is being really weird and taking like 10+ minutes to load previous pages. so i cant see your posts.

NEC: whats going on? is there a board problem?
~gR~

I wouldn't know. :erk:

Money should just be given to the schools that need it most. Very simple. Schools that are overcrowded, understaffed, behind in technology, etc. need money more than other schools regardless of test scores.