Damn 2009 has been great for big metal releases!

timmyc

Dec 16, 2002
Just looking at some of the CD's I've picked up this year, and damn it's been good:

Kreator - Hordes of Chaos
Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Pearl Jam - Backspacer
Megadeth - Endgame
Baroness - Blue Album
Slayer - World Painted Blood
Katatonia - Night is the New Day
Shadows Fall - Retribution
Lamb of God - Wrath

I'm sure I'm missing others. (It would be nice to have been able to add Anthrax to this list). But I could build a pretty solid case for all but 3, of those bands above (Pearl Jam , Megadave, and Slayer - nothing tops Reign in Blood) releasing their best records of their careers. Great year with hopefully 1 or 2 more to come.

Converge-Axe To Fall

Coalesce-OXEP

The new Beastie Boys single featuring Nas is good

Brutal Truth-Evolution Through Revolution

Agoraphobic Nosebleed-Agorapocalypse

Assjack-Assjack

Slayer-World Painted Blood (haven't heard it in its entirety, but it will be one of the best this year)

Let's not forget Napalm Death-Time Waits For No Slave

Mastodon-Crack The Skye was kind of a letdown.
"Sepultura"-A-Lex is ok for what it is

Ok will add some to this list (some of these aren't really metal as such but they are borderline at times).

Living Colour - Chair in the Doorway (my album of the year)
Karnivool - Sound Awake
Stryper - Murder by Pride (laugh all you want but it's a real throwback to Hell With the Devil on some tracks and I've always been a massive fan)
Street Sweeper Social Club - self titled (Tom Morello's side project).

Odd Reidie... I found with Sound Awake they actually found more of a consistent sound. I loved both albums. Sound Awake was far more progressive though.

But each to their own.

Crack The Skye is better...songs have perhaps easier structures, but they are still more interesting.

T:)

Odd Reidie... I found with Sound Awake they actually found more of a consistent sound. I loved both albums. Sound Awake was far more progressive though.

But each to their own.

Yeah i'm a riff guy, to me it sounds like they put too much thought into this album...

As a west aussie, I've been following karnivool since persona came out so sound awake is along away from the classics like fade etc

I see what you mean. One could say similar of The Butterfly Effect too. Far more melodic and progressive than their earlier riffage from the Begins Here era.

Yeah i'm a riff guy, to me it sounds like they put too much thought into this album...

As a west aussie, I've been following karnivool since persona came out so sound awake is along away from the classics like fade etc

If you're a riff guy, you should check out any release by Burnt By The Sun. They put out a new album this year, as well.

A couple more albums I've really enjoyed this year:

ADX - Division Blindee
Immortal - All Shall Fall
Behemoth - Evangelion
Aeon of Horus - The Embodiment of Darkness and Light

All totally tits.