Dan, A Bloodbath question for ya

Sfarog

Trapped in hated logic
Feb 10, 2002
NYC
www.gwynbleidd.com
Dan,

seeing the changes taking place with bloodbath, you moving to guitar, a different vocalist and a new drummer, is it fair to say there are plans for bloodbath to become a live touring band as opposed to just a studio project?

thanks if you can answer, i wouldnt mind seeing you guys live in the states

sf.

What i read said that Akerfeldt was kicked out? was he really kicked out or just didnt want to be involved anymore?

Im really excited to hear who the new members will be.

fireangel said:
yourdeadgroom: check bloodbath-forum
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139984
There it is posted by Blakkheim.
Hmm, I don't think Anders was dead serious. I get this certain kind of "Yee-haw! Rock'n'roll! Up the irons!" -attitude from his post; a good-heartedly belittling attitude. Also, in an interview with Imperiumi.net - the largest metal web-zine in Finland - Mikael Åkerfeldt mentioned that with the success of "Resurrection Through Carnage" the other members of Bloodbath became more and more interested in gigging, whereas Mikael was becoming more and more occupied with Opeth. Since Bloodbath was initially "only" a side project, and he didn't like the idea of gigging with Bloodbath and Opeth, they all agreed that it'd be for the better if Mikael left the band.

Now, that is my summary of the facts that I've heard and read, nothing more. Whatever the real case and whatever the new line-up, I'm sure the new material will kick just as many heads as "Resurrection Through Carnage." :)

Blakkheim said:
Mike Åkerfeldt has been kicked out and a replacement is already found in one of the biggest names in the scene.
In which scene? Swedish Death Metal? Then the replacement must be Tomas Lindberg. ;)

As for the drummer, I have no educational guesses.

Dan said he's gonna try to write in the style of Death and Dark Angel. THIS MUST MEAN THAT THE DRUMMER IS GENE HOGLAN!

... hey, I can dream, can't I?

I feel obliged to correct my mistakes.
The interview (it's all in Finnish) was between Imperiumi.net and Peter Lindgren, not Mikael.

Here's my translation of what was discussed regarding Bloodbath.

WHAT ABOUT BLOODBATH?

Mikael Åkerfeldt is also involved with a side project called Bloodbath (a band also featuring Anders Nyström and Jonas Renske of 'Katatonia', and Dan Swanö of 'Edge of Sanity' fame), who have recently released a new album titled "Resurrection Through Carnage." Will that band's affairs affect Opeth's schedules in any way?

Peter:
- No. I never asked Mikael, but he told me he doesn't particularly want to spend much time with Bloodbath. The band started as a nice little project, but these days some of the members of the band are serious about Bloodbath: they would like to begin touring and such. Mikael isn't serious about that, though. He didn't partake in the writing of the album; he did the vocals and that's all there was for him. Mikael has also got requests for interviews because of Bloodbath, but he denies them because for him that band is just a nice side project, not a serious endeavour. All our time is spent on Opeth anyway, this was just Mikael's way of relaxing outside of Opeth. Maybe he'll put more effort into Bloodbath if Opeth breaks up, but hopefully that will never happen!

thanks Orchid, I was just about to ask if the interview is in english :) Yeah, I also hope that a break-up of Opeth won´t happen.

yourdeadgroom: Maybe I did not get exactly the kind of Anders´ humour ;) And why someone would write he´d got kicked out when he just wanna tell that he left the band because of different interests.

fireangel said:
And why someone would write he´d got kicked out when he just wanna tell that he left the band because of different interests.
Old School bands kick people out. They don't "part ways because of different musical visions."

yeah, Gene Hoglan would be great. I hope the vocals arent Tomas Lindberg. I want someone with a more brutal and deep voice rather than the screech of so many other bands.

I am hoping for Tomi Kousovarri (Amorphis) but he no longer sings so i can forget about that one.

Wow, I kinda expected this but thought it was just my overactive imagination. First I must say I am thrilled to hear that Dans moving to guitar cause that means hell probably write more riffs. Its my suspicion that he wrote more on the Bloodbath Ep than the fulllength (which he was barely present for). I personally prefered the ep cause it sounded more like classic Edge of Sanity (good hooks). Not to belittle the great job the Katatonia guys did as well, but Dan knows his hooks! That said I hope the new album experiements a bit. Since its the third release by Bloodbath I wouldnt be surpirsed if it went in the direction of Spectral Sorrow a bit (as in a perfect mix of melody and oldschool DM). Id love to see BloodBath take its own unique experimental approach over time.
As for the new bandmembers, hmm... Dan and Blackheim know only a select few metal musicians. Also not many can do traditional stockholm swedish DM vocals. Hed have to be authentic, meaning he must be from the era. Because of that Id assume it might be Peter T. and Horgh. Honestly, I hope not since both of them, especially Peter, are very well established in their own styles. Personally, I think Rogga would be a good replacement to Mike since he is practically identical to his style. Gene Hoglan would be an amazing drummer choice cept whose shipping his -uh- "grande" self out to sweden? JK

starchildo@aol.com said:
Wow, I kinda expected this but thought it was just my overactive imagination. First I must say I am thrilled to hear that Dans moving to guitar cause that means hell probably write more riffs. Its my suspicion that he wrote more on the Bloodbath Ep than the fulllength (which he was barely present for). I personally prefered the ep cause it sounded more like classic Edge of Sanity (good hooks). Not to belittle the great job the Katatonia guys did as well, but Dan knows his hooks! That said I hope the new album experiements a bit. Since its the third release by Bloodbath I wouldnt be surpirsed if it went in the direction of Spectral Sorrow a bit (as in a perfect mix of melody and oldschool DM). Id love to see BloodBath take its own unique experimental approach over time.
As for the new bandmembers, hmm... Dan and Blackheim know only a select few metal musicians. Also not many can do traditional stockholm swedish DM vocals. Hed have to be authentic, meaning he must be from the era. Because of that Id assume it might be Peter T. and Horgh. Honestly, I hope not since both of them, especially Peter, are very well established in their own styles. Personally, I think Rogga would be a good replacement to Mike since he is practically identical to his style. Gene Hoglan would be an amazing drummer choice cept whose shipping his -uh- "grande" self out to sweden? JK

I feel dumb here, but after reading about hooks so many times, I'm still not sure what one is? Is it a melodic lead that just totally kicks ass or what? Bloodbath is killing me here, they said they are going to announce the new members soon, why not now? I personally would be thrilled to see Jorgen Sandstrom (ex-grave, entombed) in bloodbath. Soulless was the most intense vocal performance (pure anger) in swedish old school death metal!

Hey Dan, did you ever consider doing the vocals for Bloodbath? I see it as a damn shame that someone with arguably the best death metal vocals ever is not doing it when he is in the band.

Lol, I think a hook is that little melody at the end of a riff. Like the end of a riff or something. To try and type it out would sound absurd, but who knows maybe im wrong. Yes Jorgen should do the vocals if not Peter T. It would be nice to hear peter just growl again. No more multi-layered singing screams. ;)