Dan, do you question existence?

So far I've thought I'd stay away from this part of the discussion, since these kinds of discussions usually generate more heated feelings than it's worth. But some comments from a certain individual, made me quite annoyed and I feel I need to vent some things.

To start with, I'd like to say that I have nothing against christianity in any form, or any other religion for that matter (as long as practicing that religion doesn't mean hurting someone else). I respect them and their beliefs. What annoys me is people of any religion believing that their way is the only true way and pushing it onto other people, while at the same time critizising everybody elses way of life, without even knowing the facts.

Well... I guess I should give a little background to Sweden. Officially, it's a christian country, but most people don't really practice it anymore. They do follow the christian traditions though. Most people do it, not because of what the traditions mean, but because it is just that: tradition. For example, it is customary in sweden to get your confirmation (is that the correct word?) at the church at the age of 15. Most people don't even know why they do it. They just do it because it is the custom.

I grew up in a small village where everybody knows each other. And the priest, when he heard that I wasn't going to do it, came to my mother and asked her "Why isn't your son going to get his confirmation? He's such a kind and gentle person.", like being kind and gentle would immediatelly mean that you're a christian.

I guess I can consider myself kind and gentle, but that's not because of the bible or any other religous scripture. I use reasoning and try to be empathic and objective. If one of two choises will hurt or upset a lot of people, it probably isn't the right choise. It may be hard to make some choises sometimes, but at least it's my choise and I'm the only one responsible for it.

I have read the bible and parts of other scriptures and have been trying to be open to everything I hear, but none of them appeal to me. Yes, there are some good pointers in the bible, but there are also a lot of things I disagree with. And much of the advice they give is old and outdated, so if I'd follow it, I wouldn't take it literary anyway.

To connect back to the beginning of the post, my advice to those people mentioned in the first paragraph would be: For your own sake, please try to be objective and also look up some facts about the way of life you're going to critizise, before making a statement. It will only make you look like a fool for stating something that you have no clue about. But I also realize that many of those people are so firmly rooted in their beliefs and are so convinced that their way is the only true way, that it's probably impossible to reach them.

The vast majority of people in this thread seem to be really open and have a healthy view of things though, which I think is really nice. I was expecting a much more heated discussion. ;)

Enough of my ramblings. :)

Wow! i've never seen so many complicated posts about christianity. about their beliefs and stuff. LUCKY I'M AN ATHIEST or something like that, anyway i dont believe in god or satan, everything is just a big fat lie....That makes me an atheist? am i right? Dont punch me plz haha :D

That's why we must explore space more! if i think about space and world creation and stuff my mind just explodes of thoughts. the biggest mystery ever will never be unrevealed...

hmmf!?. why do we even say "OMG"...why dont we just say "oh my mystery" :p anyway.
There is so much I have to say about this subject but now i just wanna listen to moontower, the song un-creation grew in my mind. :)

breeding death said:
hmmf!?. why do we even say "OMG"

Those bloody christians refer to Jesus as theirs when everyone knows that Jesus is ours as in MOTHAFUCKING JEWISH...go find yourselves a gentile god with blond hair and blue eyes.

paradoxile said:
If it wasn't for the crusades all you scandinavians would still be Vikings...
and Vikings rule...HAIL ODIN!
Yup. Totally agree. Oden rockar fett!

They had an effective way of converting the scandinavians though. Convert to christianity or be slain on the spot. And after being converted, tear down the old places of worship and build churches there instead... And then pay 1/10 of your income to the new church. That's a great way to spread religion, eh?

Viking office chairs rule!
The only chair that after 72 hours of consecutive sitting(had a bianual review from the IDF Manpower corps high command and they're fucking strict so if things weren't quite right I was facing time in military jail-and I fucking aced it) I didn't get numb legs or flat ass

Stilgar said:
Yup. Totally agree. Oden rockar fett!

They had an effective way of converting the scandinavians though. Convert to christianity or be slain on the spot. And after being converted, tear down the old places of worship and build churches there instead... And then pay 1/10 of your income to the new church. That's a great way to spread religion, eh?
people have done a vast array of heinous crimes in the name of christianity.

people have done a vast array of heinous crimes in the name of christianity.

That may be, but that just proves this isnt what Jesus set out to teach his people. They are doing wrong and the Catholics are the ones to blame not good Christian people. The Jews turned on him and people will continue to turn their backs on Christianity-Its a sinful world. Killing people is not what Christ taught so.. "this is a no brainer" They are not real Christians if they told Norwegians they convert or die.

gar,The jews turned on Jesus for a reason and quite a good one too.
it's not his preachings that made them turn on him.it's the fact that he claimed to be the son of God and his miracles.
Now if I come and tell you I'm the true son of God and I'm the massiah what reason do you have to believe me.I deserve the death penalty according to religious laws for blespahmy just for saying that.
Judas betrayed him
The Romans crucified him. According to the old testament false prophets and people who are claiming they're God or sons of God and all sorts of mediums and worshippers of stars have to be stoned to death.So jews are only guilty for playing by the books. It's only after Christ's supposed ressurection that some people started believing...then again the whole resurrection thing could be an invention of a bunch of delusional lunatics.
I personally met people who claim they've had a revalation from their side of religion. a jewish guy who said Eliah the prophet has revealed himself to him,
a nun who was a non religious person in Italy untill she saw Christ and became a nun and moved to a monestary in Israel and a muslim guy who claimes to see muhhamed constantly in his dreams.
The human pride is the one that says "I'm right,they're wrong" and their revalation are bullshit and only mine is real.Well fuck that,the revaltions are from the same source,if you have a revaltion you are revealed by what you believe in.Ancient greeks believed they were revealed by Athena and Zeus and other gods that came down from the olympus and I tend to believe them too.Now as for athiests...they believe in themselves rather than God,so their revalations are not associated with god and would probably seem like a genius idea that suddenly poped in the head or suddenly understanding something.It's just different menefastions of the same thing.
Once people realize that all those things are not contradictory but different menafestations of the same thing all different religions will cease to exist and humanity will gain a few spiritual levels and will live in peace and harmony mostly for understanding that all the arguments were about things which mean absolutely nothing.

now how about just locking the thread and let it die peacefully

paradoxile said:
gar,The jews turned on Jesus for a reason and quite a good one too.
it's not his preachings that made them turn on him.it's the fact that he claimed to be the son of God and his miracles.
Now if I come and tell you I'm the true son of God and I'm the massiah what reason do you have to believe me.I deserve the death penalty according to religious laws for blespahmy just for saying that.
Judas betrayed him
The Romans crucified him. According to the old testament false prophets and people who are claiming they're God or sons of God and all sorts of mediums and worshippers of stars have to be stoned to death.So jews are only guilty for playing by the books. It's only after Christ's supposed ressurection that some people started believing...then again the whole resurrection thing could be an invention of a bunch of delusional lunatics.
As I understand it, there is no actual proof that Jesus ever existed. I've read several articles/essays on the subject. It's an interesting thought...

paradoxile said:
Once people realize that all those things are not contradictory but different menafestations of the same thing all different religions will cease to exist and humanity will gain a few spiritual levels and will live in peace and harmony mostly for understanding that all the arguments were about things which mean absolutely nothing.
Well said. :)

paradoxile said:
now how about just locking the thread and let it die peacefully
*kills the thread*