Danny or Duncan?

Alcapoth

S t a r E
Apr 27, 2002
ON, Canada
Visit site
Just wondering, who of Anathema (or rather, ex-anathema for Duncan) has wrote the better songs?

In any case, who do you feel had the better contribution to the band (your favourite songs?)

For me, while both had their share of amazing songs, I must give the slight edge to Danny...I mean, he wrote most of my favourite songs, such as One Last Goodbye, Fragile Dreams (best on alt-4, IMO...), Emotional Winter, Forgotten Hopes, Sleepless, Sentient & Angelica, etc....his stuff seems to appeal to me a little more. I can totally catch his style....

Duncan's stuff obviously shines greatly as well, with such awesome songs as Lost Control, Eternity I-III, The Beloved, Feel, Empty & Shrouds of Fate, etc. But I tend to prefer Danny's songs...they're overall stronger IMO.

What do others feel?

I make this thread due to something I have read in an article, where many apparently consider Duncan to be a musical genius...and even Danny noted he is like the next Roger (off of Pink Floyd). Hmm...

I guess it's rather unfair to compare the two men on the basis of the Anathema output, considering the fact that Danny's been in the band forever, unlike Duncan.

Both of them are geniuses anyway :) It depends on my mood which song I like at a certain moment. At present I'm rather for Antimatter than Anathema. We'll see the upcoming albums, but on the basis of the new stuff I've heard from both bands so far (not much though), I can say I'll like both albums a lot.

Andy_2003 said:
have you heard something new by Anathema?

Only the acoustic version of one song at Danny's solo gig in Budapest. I really liked that. Of course, it's not an adequate basis to make any conclusion as to what the new album will be like. But it'll be good :)

wtf is judgement and AFDTE style singing??

you mean you have'nt heard the last sessions?? I thought eveyone had heard them. :lol:

Andy_2003 said:
great, was it slow, fast? melodic, judgement or AFDTE style singing or something else?

Do you think I could give an objective description? I heard the song once, in an elevated spiritual state, don't remember any details :)

It's rather AFDTE, I'd say, slow and melodic. I guess they wouldn't want to return to Judgement, that period is over. As for the singing, it was Danny's style :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_2003
have you heard something new by Anathema?

Believe me, it is proper doom!!!
I heard a few songs on demo in december, and I remember I was really moved by the essence of those songs.
Can't wait to hear the new album, I guess it is gonna be very dark....

i see'd the bear of ruin

scare.gif

ı prefer danny s songs.ı thınk angelica is the best song in the history of anathema.fragile dreams,one last goodbye,inner silence are awesome songs.but ı musnt forget lost control.ıt has a special place in me.

one with misery said:
ı prefer danny s songs.ı thınk angelica is the best song in the history of anathema.fragile dreams,one last goodbye,inner silence are awesome songs.but ı musnt forget lost control.ıt has a special place in me.

Pls don't forget who wrote the lyrics for 'Angelica'. So we should end the discussion with that one cos both of them took part of it.