Dark fucking Throne!

Hubster

Oct 29, 2003
Bondi Australia
darkthrone_interview2006.jpg

Two men. One absolute pinnacle of true Norwegian and urbanised Black Metal expression.

Completely self-indulgent, un-technical yet arguably more powerful than almost any other Black Metal band to exist to date, Darkthrone epitomises every single character of Black Metal culture into razor sharp, simplistic compositions which while lacking technicality, balance with a supreme level of blunt, direct anarchic and anti-conformist expression in a way which can only be described as True Black Metal (a title few to none can share).

Framed by Fenriz's minimalist, yet perfectly suited drumming style, and combined with the unparalleled caustic shrieks of Nocturno Culto, every single song they have ever played evokes a true metal culture harkening back to the days of the early 80s (Bathory and thrash in mind) like few other Black Metal bands have ever done.

As Darkthrone has evolved, so too has their willingness to tell us what this is really about: a simple pay of respect to the greats of metal, showing Culto and Fenriz as quite simply, big fans of the music they play and listen to themselves. Their humbleness creates the richness of their imaginations: Darkthrone is almost a fantasy worship of true and dirty metal.

Many love them, many hate them. I have been on either side of that fence, but now I site firmly with those who admire these two under-rated visionaries.

Vent your hate, or shower these two fuckers who are perhaps still the grimmest bastards in the Black Metal world with all the respect they deserve.

:kickass:

I really only care for early Darkthrone - basically their first few albums. I don't mind their change of style as of late, I actually find it a bit refreshing from their strew of boring, and generic black metal albums they released over the past ten years.

When I first got into metal I remember Darkthrone being the hardest band for me to get into. I never really got the point untill I started looking at music for more than just face value. Though most people consider Under a Funeral Moon to be the best Darkthrone release, I tend to find myself letting Transilvanian Hunger get the most spins. I also enjoy all of Darkthrone's material; new and old. Darkthrone has proved to be an uncompromising band that does what the fuck they want to. Heil!

I enjoy pretty much all of Darkthrone's material. My favorite would have to be Panzerfaust mainly because it was my first album I bought from them and I love the cross between Transilvanian Hunger-era Darkthrone and Celtic Frost. I also think Panzerfaust displays Nocturno Culto's best vocal performance. Totally fucking pissed off and hateful!

Ineed to get Transilvanian Hunger and Blaze, I like later Darkthrone too, Too Old,Too Cold was good. And so was Sjakk Matt Jesu Krist.

I only like "A Blaze" and "Under a Funeral Moon", the rest is pretty average to me.

I still download every new releases they put out, listen to them 4-5 times and trash bin them.

I've actually changed my mind on Darkthrone. I used to think that they were boring, but I've come to realize that I was listening to them in the wrong way. My favorite is Transylvanian Hunger and they really excel with simplicity.

See this what I don't understand, how is their music simple. Sure their not sweeping and trying to prove their technical prowess, but their layered on top melodies (creating that overwhelming atmosphere) and proper use of under-production is a very difficult thing to achieve.

I've actually changed my mind on Darkthrone. I used to think that they were boring, but I've come to realize that I was listening to them in the wrong way. My favorite is Transylvanian Hunger and they really excel with simplicity.

Good stuff mate.

I used to hate them too, but a friend of mine made me think twice. Funnily enough, by that time, I had been listening to a lot of stuff that was directly influenced by them anyway, so it was "about time" :) Like yourself - I was listening to them in the wrong way.

The term simplicity implies an unsophistication of method and a coincidence in merit. This is not Darkthrone. Rather, they employed minimalism to great effect to create vast expanses of aural landscapes amid bonecrushing Celtic Frost and Autopsy riffs.