Dark fucking Throne!

See this what I don't understand, how is their music simple. Sure their not sweeping and trying to prove their technical prowess, but their layered on top melodies (creating that overwhelming atmosphere) and proper use of under-production is a very difficult thing to achieve.

What blows me away is how they come up with chord progressions like the ones in:

- Underdogs And Overlords (The Cult Is Alive) approx 2:35 into song
- Fucked Up And Ready To Die (Hate Them) approx 0:58 into song
- Ytterst I Livet (Hate Them) approx 1:17 into song

The thing is that Darkthrone do this kind of thing without effort, and yet scores of other bands seem to struggle to come up with these incredibly dark, logical progressions.

Additionally, I find Culto to be a totally under-rated vocalist. The man is grim as fuck! I can think of no one else who has so much attitude - you can imagine him screaming into the studio mic with his middle finger up the whole time :lol:

Most importantly, the "I don't give a fuck about anyone else" attitude that comes through is real. They're not trying to be anything other than themselves.

For a 2man band Of course Darkthrone kick ass, too bad they don't play live much .. but hey glad to say the new album is coming out soon, and NC said its going to be more metal and less punkish.

I think their punkish experiments are also good. As much as people don't like to admit it, punk is an important part of Black Metal (Absurd's later metal is a great blend of punk and Black Metal) and shouldn't be overlooked.

Good to see you have come around Hubster. Darkthrone are top fucking notch. As you were saying these guys do not have to try and be grim, they are without a doubt and without effort the most grim mother fuckers on the planet. Everyone else can FUCK OFF! :kickass:

And Bluewizard...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's kind of funny that almost everyone talks about them as a two piece band when their vastly more acclaimed works were all done with at least Zephyrous in the mix, and a full band line-up for Soulside Journey, and Dag Nilson doing bass on A Blaze In The Northern Sky. There were actually plans for an album called Krieg that Darkthrone talked about in interviews preceding the imminent releases of the then-already-recorded Transilvanian Hunger and Panzerfaust, for which Zephyrous was supposed to write most, if not all of the music. Of course, he then left the band for reasons never explained, and that was that.

The "acclaimed" issue I find is debatable. I think while their post-first four albums' work is less important influencially, they are no less brilliant.

I don't think the 'acclaimed' issue is debatable, as there's no question as to which era is more acclaimed, but obviously the quality of the acclaimed versus less acclaimed can be debated, yet I do feel that post Panzerfaust material (or maybe post Total Death) lacks a bit of something that they only manage to recapture in sparse amounts on later works. That said, I thoroughly enjoy everything either Gylve or Ted have ever touched.

Tankard, Countess, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Manilla Road, Graveland, Bathory, and King Diamond.

Good to see you have come around Hubster. Darkthrone are top fucking notch. As you were saying these guys do not have to try and be grim, they are without a doubt and without effort the most grim mother fuckers on the planet. Everyone else can FUCK OFF! :kickass:

And Bluewizard...

Times like this make me wish I had DSL.:erk:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tankard, Countess, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Manilla Road, Graveland, Bathory, and King Diamond.

Black Sabbath has not released almost all good stuff. Motohead has not also. Graveland puts out the same album over and over again. B

Countess, bathory, and king diamond have though.

You've never bothered to listen to any non-Ozzy, non-Dio Sabbath, most likely, and that's your loss. Black Sabbath has released some excellent material after Ozzy. And even Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die are strong efforts.

You're a faggot for saying anything negative about Motorhead.

Graveland has evolved more than most bands over the years.

I was able to watch a couple minutes of the 2nd video, what song is it? It sounds like a Satyricon song off Dark Medieval Times, can't remember which one, but that riff is all too similar.

You've never bothered to listen to any non-Ozzy, non-Dio Sabbath, most likely, and that's your loss. Black Sabbath has released some excellent material after Ozzy. And even Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die are strong efforts.

You're a faggot for saying anything negative about Motorhead.

Graveland has evolved more than most bands over the years.

In terms of black metal graveland has not to evolved much. Theres too many bands to name that destroy in evolving.

Motohead has put out two band albums......

Graveland has definitely evolved, but not in a striking way, albeit, more subtle.

Motorhead - well, what can you say, Motorhead is the shit.

Darkthrone is amazing. Which other band do you know that has relased over 10 albums that are almost all great?

Don't get me wrong - I'm totally into Darkthrone, but like any band, they're not flawless. I think though, what makes their "arrogant" brand of consistency so good is that they truly do what they want to do. So many bands talk about this, but never actually do it. Darkthrone do, and it seems, always will.

Listen to their latest track - does that not tell us that they truly do not give a fuck, that they are not limited and that they really do do what they want to do?

I personally think they understand True Metal (and Black Metal for that matter) the music and culture, better than perhaps any other band around today. It might sound absurd, but I think in many ways they are leaps ahead of the pack because they live what they say.

Personally, I find their arrogant humbleness almost admirable.

1448662554_l.jpg

Graveland has definitely evolved, but not in a striking way, albeit, more subtle.

Don't get me wrong - I'm totally into Darkthrone, but like any band, they're not flawless. I think though, what makes their "arrogant" brand of consistency so good is that they truly do what they want to do. So many bands talk about this, but never actually do it. Darkthrone do, and it seems, always will.

Listen to their latest track - does that not tell us that they truly do not give a fuck, that they are not limited and that they really do do what they want to do?

I personally think they understand True Metal (and Black Metal for that matter) the music and culture, better than perhaps any other band around today. It might sound absurd, but I think in many ways they are leaps ahead of the pack because they live what they say.

Personally, I find their arrogant humbleness almost admirable.

Thank you

Darkthrone know what there doing every time. They truly dont give a fuck what people think and they do it for them selfs and that is what makes the music good. They take there music serious but not serious. What other band does a song called Canadian Metal?
If anyone has a say in modern black metal its darkthrone.

Plus Fenriz is a funny guy.