Dark Tranquillity in your language!

Originally posted by FatherVic
ehmmmm rahvin, I'm a Pratchett fan and didn't got that, I suppose it's mainly because I've read half of pratchett books in Spanish and actually don't know what yak means....
but I'll keep trying :p

yaks are animals living in countries like tibet and the likes. they're hairy, big quadrupedes used by natives as beasts of burden (not feasts!) and such. reference was to the latest official discworld novel 'thief of time', where some abbot who constantly reincarnates after each death is currently an extremely wise eight-months old baby. he answers to deep philosophical questions and regularly hits people in the head with a rubber yak, meaning a plastic toy for young children in the shape of a yak.

ehm... sorry for the off-topic.;)

rahvin.

Thief of time¿¿¿¿????
is that coming after The Fifth Elephant???
I haven't read that... it seems in Spain there's not that many ppl with a great sense of humour as Pratchett, they just trsnalted twelve of his novels, the rest I've read in English (the Penguin editorial) but here we have just up to The Fifth Elephant (even I'm still reading Men at Arms (but I aready bought all the available books :) )

@phyros, yeah your evil, not as marzipan, but evil enough:p

it seems in Spain there's not that many ppl with a great sense of humour as Pratchett, they just trsnalted twelve of his novels, the rest I've read in English (the Penguin editorial)

In Italian they just translated the first three, figure it out. The best I've read so far is The Truth, anyway.
I'm collecting all of the books in english. Corgi Books editions.

The Fifth Elephant is also great, indeed.
Did you read Hogfather? What do you think of it?

Thief of time¿¿¿¿????
is that coming after The Fifth Elephant???
I haven't read that... it seems in Spain there's not that many ppl with a great sense of humour as Pratchett, they just trsnalted twelve of his novels, the rest I've read in English (the Penguin editorial) but here we have just up to The Fifth Elephant (even I'm still reading Men at Arms (but I aready bought all the available books :) )

@phyros, yeah your evil, not as marzipan, but evil enough:p

i'm sorry to add to your disappointment: after the fifth elephant, two discworld books followed: 'the truth' and 'thief of time'.
while the latter is a sort of death/susan book, the other just comes up with new characters and situations (apart from the ever-present captain vimes).

if i'm not mistaken, there are translations in italian of the 4, 5 and 6 book in the series, too. they're very poor, though, and the translator, when confronted with a pun, just ignored it if no apparent solution for rendering the joke seemed to be present. the english versions of the discworld books (i'm collecting those, too ;) ) can also be found *ahem* online on some ftp-sites. just check newsgroups such as alt.discworld.fans and alt.pratchett.fans (or something) for the specifics.

rahvin.

Originally posted by rahvin

if i'm not mistaken, there are translations in italian of the 4, 5 and 6 book in the series, too. they're very poor, though, and the translator, when confronted with a pun, just ignored it if no apparent solution for rendering the joke seemed to be present.

Indeed. Those translations suck, but for principle I tend to prefer to read a book in it's original language, given that I know it. So if an author is english, I read in english. And Terry Pratchett writes in a Splendid english, I'd add.

I didn't know about these other three novels... oh, well, if the translation is as poor as that of the first three, I won't even give a try. I do understand that it's not easy to translate some jokes, but I really think that the italian version is simply ridiculous...
Anyway, can I ask you a thing, Rahvin? How comes that you know about Italian translation of books? Are you italian?

Originally posted by Malveaux
Anyway, can I ask you a thing, Rahvin? How comes that you know about Italian translation of books? Are you italian?

further browsing of the forum would have netted out the following details for you, but i spare you the effort: ;)

regular users of this forum who are native italian speakers are me and atlantis. as the time of this post, both of us are living in italy (me, i'm from turin). i'm also an old-timer of dt's forums and a genuine original-language reader of everything in english and french. :)

rahvin.

@Phyros: Ok, I'll give the go... goth... your present. I don't know what in hell is it, but... a present is usually a present, with brilliant colors and quite chupi.

@Malveaux: Firstly, welcome. Then, I must say nobody knows from where Rahvin comes, it's a mysterious like... er... why Santa's is dressed like a clown? Or why God don't make gigs to explode his comercial image? Well, so the essence of life is: "Where is Rahvin come from?". If you know the answer... you'll rise up to the superior level of kharma (or perhaps not).
:devil:

Originally posted by Melancholia
Skoteini Galini,that TheMindzI suggested,sounds cool...
but i prefer Skoteini Iremia (óêïôåéíÞ çñåìßá)
Tranquillizer=iremistiko
oh,well none understands what i'm saying ; )
grrr I hate typing in greek,it reminds me of work for the uni :bah:

Lol. I studied ancient Greek in the high schools. I see that it has many differences with the modern one...

To rahvin: lol, now that I've read the complete thread, I see that you and Atlantis are Italian like me :p... well, thank you anyway.

Originally posted by Phyros
to see if you´r equally good when Göteborgska is the language...:) "Där sket du daj i näven, |ngenius, du måsste la göra nått för att kunna kräva en present? Eru helt go i hövvet, eller?"

Well...the most difficult thing in here is the english translation... it's something like "I'm sorry, but you have to do something to deserve --to get-- the present..Ingenius, are you insane in the brain??"

So. what should I do to "deserve" my present?
And above all, how do I get it??
Leave it somewhere nearby Södra Vägen with a note upon it (@lantis), I'll be around in a short time;)

PS: today all the swedes in Rome celebrate (it's early, I know, but today it's saturday, so..) their..."St. Lucy"?? How do ye call it???... I've been drinking glögg so far......and love the world right now:D--

@Malveaux: as ravhe (d'ye like it, ciccio?;) said, we're both coming from the beautiful south. I'm a pre ezthing-boarder :) too, but not as"alive"as he is/used to be.
I live in Roma, as you can see.
Welcome:)

Originally posted by Malveaux
Actually he said Torino (turin). I wouldn't call it south :)... Well, it's surely not in the southern Italy, but anyway, happy to make your acquaintance.
Italy is the beautiful south, if compared to the beautiful north of course:heh:

Originally posted by atlantis
as ravhe (d'ye like it, ciccio?;)

well, let's say i surely like it more than 'ciccio'. :err:

@malveaux: although i said i'm from turin, everybody on this forum knows this is just a hoax meant to effectively pretend i'm living on this planet at all. my whereabouts are unknown and mysterious, some say i'm from a place where everything is constantly spinning and identities are blurred.
but that's not true. once in a thousand years the walls stand still for minutes. ;)

@atlantis: your posts show more and more the effect of a state of mind i'd be tempted to call 'drunkness', honey (i'm a conservative when it comes to pet names) :)

rahvin.

@rahve...
If you keep on this way I'll keep up calling you rave without "h"!
As for drunkness, I am not yet a UA, (italian: AA)!
And oh, I can assure you I am much worse as sober than drunk... Just can't get if it's wrong or it is right:)

But anyway, your boozy nights out don't allow your sarcasm:D

a.
extremely sober, drinking a cup of tea. JUST tea.

@atlantis: sigh. once my nick belonged to a distinguished, educated, power-crazed, magic-corrupted, 400-year-old respected agent of evil. now you seem determined to drag it in the mud with slanders.
hey, i'm just your basic self-confident villain who's slain for good round about the end of book five! there's no need to always take it out on me!

rahvin. (who's a drinker just because he fell into the magic potion cauldron when he was a toddler :rolleyes: )