Dark Tranquillity owns In Flames now

MP-AKK said:
Subterranean, however, he only did a couple of the tracks. Daniel Erlandsson did the rest of 'em, a faaaaaaaar more superior drummer imho.
Well, it's actually 2 tracks for each, as I don't think there were any drums on the short instumental ("Timeless", was it?). And I don't think Daniel Erlandsson is significantly better than Anders Jivarp as a drummer. Then again, I know very little of drumming.

-Villain

@ JackhammerRape: you know i think your not going to be the only one looking like that ;) but as for me, well just look above everybody in the mosh pit @ the guy who's head & shoulders above every one (that'll be me :D all 6`7 of me :loco: )

& @ Schwedentod: i know what you mean about RTR, i had to listen to it a couple of times to really get into it but now i would say it's one of my top 3 fav albums :D & i have no doubt the gig is going to be good, i've seen video clips of them live & they look soooooooo awsum!!!!!!!! can't wait :headbang:

@schwedentod i have a version of cloud connected live where they play the keyboards for about a minute before in flames starts playing.

as for this debate, as for studio albums DT is definately far superior in terms of skill, except for some reason i find it takes me much longer to warm up to a DT song than it does to get into an IF song.

but in the live experience i just believe IF (seen them 4 times) is just unmatched. my reasons for this is that in flames just seems to get way more into the live environment and moving around a lot more (but i give stanne a lot of credit because hes dancing all the time on stage). Also i just feel that in flames music sounds really good live and in fact it sounds better live than on the cds. whereas with dt (ive only seen them twice) they seem way more focused on playing perfectly (which is understandable because their guitarwork is much more complex than the majority of the IF songs). i also feel that DT's work just has a much more atmospheric value on cd than it does live. but i still love both bands and cant wait to see DT in concert again.

I love In Flames and Dark Tranquillity equally :Spin:
even tho i give DT the slight edge because of DD (godly little piece of plastic it is :D )

I prefer IF to DT, so shoot me. Jesper's older work is superior IMO to DT's stuff on say The Gallery.

Also referring to IF new disc, STYE it is a quality album IMO vastly improved over RtR. Seeing as you obviously dont like IF newer work, we could say that DT took a similar direction on their Haven and Projector albums.

just my opinion though.

(which is understandable because their guitarwork is much more complex than the majority of the IF songs).

Expand on this point, because I obviously must be missing something as I think the opposite when I look at TJR and The Gallery(even though DT is still great)

when i say the guitar work is much more complex its because it is. take the song punish my heavens, its a song that covers the entire neck of the guitar and constantly changes keys and time signatures, most in flames songs dont do that. plus if you look at the complexity of the new in flames songs which dominate their setlist to the songs that dominate the DT setlist its obvious to see that DT is going to play a lot more songs that are much harder to play on guitar. plus i also think the gallery is much more complex than the jester race, the only thing the jester race has over the gallery is the december flower solos.

i also forgot to say that DT is still a great band to see live, one of the best ive ever seen, i just feel as though in flames has a tough show to beat.

(old)IF songs constantly change time signatures as well, plus i find the guitar leads to stronger than DT's in general. Also if you look at IF songs like The New Word that has a very strong solo in it, where most DT songs lack any great solos.

i agree that the new word has a strong solo, its probably one of my all time favorites, but usually overall, a DT song will contain more and better elements, but my gripe with them is they dont automatically stick, they grow on me, like the song hedon, i hated it for the longest time, now i love it.
and just as a guitarist i found learning to play the songs off the jester race was a lot easier than trying to learn some of the songs on the gallery.

i should also add that im a diehard in flames fan, but i do believe DT is a better band, i just like IF more.

Im a little fed up with a bunch of politically correct morons who apparently cant have any negative opinion at all about a band that happens to be both a) melodic death metal or at one point in their careers were B) from gothenburg.

Listen up people: evolution in music means the band does something constructive, inflames is doing nothing but destructive things to their sound: destructive because they severely compromise their musical integrity with blatanly stupid statements about how they call they fans idiots ( and unlike the newbie morons replying to this thread, some fans from the old days, you know, back when we had a taste and made it possible for you stupid newbies to enjoy the bands you like today, are not idiots and do not deserve to be called such just because mr friden cant take the heat and its a lousy frontman) openly and cannot take any form of criticism when asked about the ( obviously commercially aimed ) direction of their music as an attack and react in a negative way, let alone the fact that at least 10 mtv nu metal bands are producing far superior music.

For general standarts its ok, but for fucks sake this is a metal forum about a band that is pretty much still a metal band with metal fans, stop it. No one ( no one but some moron called sentenced to flames on the opeth board ) can call himself a fan of metal music and still support inflames after all they have done.

For now i shall take my leave since i know have another job: of the paying, real life kind; and have no time to make all newbies go away running scared like i usually do.

nj23nut said:
I liked everything In Flames did right up through Clayman. They were awesome live. The reroute came out and I thought it was 1991 and Metallica$h all over again. I still enjoy listening to Clayman and Whoracle, but I just prefer Dark Tranquillity.

Same here...And Yeah...in general DT owns IF. I just think IF puts too much importance on their electro-goa-trance samples :loco: ...Also...I would'nt have found DT is it wasn't for In Flames. When I first heard Lunar Strain, I wanted to check DT right away. I just hate R2R, I make lots a efforts..but gee....it would be allright is this was a project outside IF. And...as some of you here ; I think STtyE is pretty good....not the old days but they've put more Melo-Death ingredients in the mix. And the song structures aren't as bad as on R2R.

Misanthrope said:
Im a little fed up with a bunch of politically correct morons who apparently cant have any negative opinion at all about a band that happens to be both a) melodic death metal or at one point in their careers were B) from gothenburg.

Listen up people: evolution in music means the band does something constructive, inflames is doing nothing but destructive things to their sound: destructive because they severely compromise their musical integrity with blatanly stupid statements about how they call they fans idiots ( and unlike the newbie morons replying to this thread, some fans from the old days, you know, back when we had a taste and made it possible for you stupid newbies to enjoy the bands you like today, are not idiots and do not deserve to be called such just because mr friden cant take the heat and its a lousy frontman) openly and cannot take any form of criticism when asked about the ( obviously commercially aimed ) direction of their music as an attack and react in a negative way, let alone the fact that at least 10 mtv nu metal bands are producing far superior music.

For general standarts its ok, but for fucks sake this is a metal forum about a band that is pretty much still a metal band with metal fans, stop it. No one ( no one but some moron called sentenced to flames on the opeth board ) can call himself a fan of metal music and still support inflames after all they have done.

For now i shall take my leave since i know have another job: of the paying, real life kind; and have no time to make all newbies go away running scared like i usually do.

So because I dont utterly despise the new IF I am automatically a n00b or not true metalhead who doesnt derserve an opinion? And the nu-metal statement is idiotic and ignorant, if you want people to start acting like "tr00" metalheads on a metal board then bashing a band is going make things worse, and be far from improving the community. Its this metal ideology that is the most annoying thing in metal, a bunch of guys with their keyboards trying to dictate what metal can and cannot be and believe they are superior to everyone else.

Villain said:
since 1997 there has been no contest, IMHO.

hmm.. I'd say more like, since 2000.

"imo"

Oh, and the STYE cover art is kind of lame. The art inside the booklet is pretty sweet, though.

hmmmmmmmmmm, i feel ALOT of anger of this thread....I know, lets all just put our different opions aside, hold hands, have a BIG group hug & lets all sing songs about love & peace & naked women :D KEEP THE FAITH!!!!!! :headbang:

btw, i hav not taken anything befor anyone asks me.....well....ok, maybe just a weeeeeeeee bit of red fruity stuff that tasted REALLY nice :tickled: oh OH, & clear stuff that was like WOW!!!!!!

J Mann said:
So because I dont utterly despise the new IF I am automatically a n00b or not true metalhead who doesnt derserve an opinion? And the nu-metal statement is idiotic and ignorant, if you want people to start acting like "tr00" metalheads on a metal board then bashing a band is going make things worse, and be far from improving the community. Its this metal ideology that is the most annoying thing in metal, a bunch of guys with their keyboards trying to dictate what metal can and cannot be and believe they are superior to everyone else.
Im do not appreciate any of that you ignorant fool, im just realistic about the kind of comments that should be expected, specially from a band who openly insults his fans like inflames so shut the fuck up and get a clue before you answer.

rahvin consider my suscription permanently revoked, this forum is a newbie ridden piece of shit i shall come back no more.

I think In Flames is a WAY better band than Dark Tranquillity. Dark Tranquillity is one of my top 10 favorite bands, but i still don't think they come close to in flames.

I liked the comparison you guys were making with the albums. In every comparison i would choose the in flames album. Even with the new stuff. Heck, i would nearly take every in flames album over any Dark Tranquillity album. Maybe not RRTR over The Gallery, but its close!

With that said, im not ripping on DT, i actually really like them, i just think in flames is that much better.

STTYE is a pretty good album. For anyone who hasn't heard it yet, try these songs:

1. Dial 595 Escape
2. The Quiet Place
3. Superhero of the computer rage
4. Borders and Shading