Dark Tranquillity Song Survivor - round 32

Vote for the least great song

• Total voters
Insanity's Crescendo

It belongs on the list of the 20 best DT songs, not the five best. And that's that.

-Andreas (I have to stick my nose into the forums every once in a while, and I really feel obligied to follow this thread to the very end...)

i am going to write a paper on inefficient voting and the disastrous results thereof. by the way, it would be kind of cool to run a counter-poll now, asking people to pick their favorite song out of all the DT tracks ever recorded. unfortunately, it would probably lead to inconclusive results because the community isn't large enough, and most options would be chosen by 1-2 people, without a definite majority.

hyena what do you want to say? don't piss your pants because this poll isn't accurate or something. It's just a simple poll in this community and not an official Dark Tranquillity study. Just take the result as it is.
sorry about harsh language, no offence intended.

And yet it would be interesting to write a paper on it. What will you say on it? And i'm assuming the results are disastrous to you because your favorite songs won't win, which leads me to the following question: what songs would you have liked to see win?

Blitzkrieg Pajo said:
don't piss your pants because this poll isn't accurate or something.
The idea was that after 3 fucking years of running this poll, it ought to be accurate or something. Which it isn't. So excuse me while i piss my pants.

I was looking back over the results, and round 7 was the first one where we could see who voted for what. 41 of the 51 people that voted in that round haven't voted in round 32 :dopey:

Round 1 was - November 1st, 2002,

Round 7, Part 2 - May 25, 2003

†_Aragorth_†
Aeonstream
Alfred
Arch
Child of Time
Dark_Jester
DeepInMisery
Erik
FatherVic
Fathomless
Final_Vision
Finntroll
Format C:
Gtranquillity
Gums
Hate Fever
Hiljainen
Hitori
Humanure
hyena
Infernal
Incendiare
Kovenant84
Lutz
Malaclypse
Miolo
Naku ist krig
Onde Erik
Onyx
Ormir
Parasite
Qsilver
rahvin
Rei Toei
Salamurhaaja
seventi
Shrieker
Siren
stefan86
Steve
sunset
Supergirl
terrymx
Thanatos
TheFourthHorseman
TheReaper
Tranquil Chaos
Vainglorious
Villain
zodi
_Zsuzsa_

A nice observation, Gums. Also, it is nice to notice how the inherent flaws of all polls manifest in even such a small voting as this one is. Something which Hyena will tackle on her essay, I'm sure.

Anyways, all socio-political commentaries aside, I think it is time to close this poll and move on to the next round. Rahvin, work your magic, please.

-Villain

UndoControl said:
What do you guys mean by 'accurate'?
exactly what Gums said, it's not the same people voting anymore.
plus, a lot of the voting (including mine) was strategic.
plus, if Lethe loses after 3 years the poll won't be 'accurate' because i'll be fucking pissed. :p

Siren said:
exactly what Gums said, it's not the same people voting anymore.
plus, a lot of the voting (including mine) was strategic.
Ah. Thank you.

Siren said:
if Lethe loses after 3 years the poll won't be 'accurate' because i'll be fucking pissed. :p
It probably will win, and that would be okay with me, as it's probably my second favorite DT song (and ascending quickly. "Insanity's" is in danger of losing gold and having to conform with silver). :D

TheFourthHorseman said:
Strategic voting is so gay. Even gayer than describing negative things as gay.
:lol:

UndoControl said:
And yet it would be interesting to write a paper on it. What will you say on it? And i'm assuming the results are disastrous to you because your favorite songs won't win, which leads me to the following question: what songs would you have liked to see win?

Well, I'm a skydancer fan first of all. My personal choice for the winner would have been 'Shadow Duet', although I would have liked 'A Bolt of Blazing Gold' and 'Crimson Winds' to be the winners, too. As a secondary preference, something from 'Haven', such as 'The Same', would have cracked it: but I would not have felt as comfortable with it, because 'Haven' - with all due respect - is a bit of a cheap shot in the sense that it connects to the tummy rather than the soul and brain, at least in my case. I find songs like 'The Same' to be very passionate, in the same vein as the likely winner 'Lethe', although I like the keyobard-heavy baroque atmosphere of the former better (again! this is the rhyme-something-with-former-or-latter-day). But they're not as transcendent as the songs in 'Skydancer'.

Oh, and the problem of inconsistent voting does not arise only from the fact that the results do not meet my personal preferences. :p

Also, doesn't any of you find strange that the song most likely to win a survivor for a death metal band is a song that under certain respects could be classified as a ballad? I remember mentioning to rahvin sometimes in the last century that metal ballads are better than any other ballad and sometimes one starts off by enjoying a metal band for their slower songs, as if in our pop-dominated world heavy riffs were something like an acquired taste while relating to midtempos and slow songs in minor keys were more 'natural' (or nurtured, more precisely). I'm thinking about Iron Maiden's "Children of the damned", or Metallica's "The Unforgiven", but also DT's 'Insanity's Crescendo' (which, no wonder, was here until a while ago).

Side note: I've read people classify DT as a death metal band before, but this time just tipped it off. Dark Tranquillity are not death metal (maybe back in the days of Septic Broiler or DT's first two demos, but not since "Skydancer"). You could classify them as melo-intelligent-black-metal-plus-some-speed-metal or as some other thing, but death metal is definitely not the category under which to put DT.

Now, to the point: Thanks for making clear what you were trying to say. :) And yes, on one hand it is strange that "Lethe" will most likely be the winner, since it's not precisely one of their most characteristic songs, but on the other hand it's a song everyone seems to love, so i wouldn't dwell on the whys and wherefores too long. ;)

Not like Cradle Of Filth, no. But i didn't say there was. I only said you could classify DT as that or as something else, just not death metal. Okay, i won't try to classify DT because i'm not an expert on the subject. I'll let someone else do it for me. :)

In few words and I believe most people in the metal community agree on this : DT plays what is known as the "Gothenberg Sound" which is, as i see it, the first and most impressive form of Melodic Death Metal (I don't like this last name but there's no other way to call it, really)

RampageSword said:
In few words and I believe most people in the metal community agree on this : DT plays what is known as the "Gothenberg Sound" which is, as i see it, the first and most impressive form of Melodic Death Metal (I don't like this last name but there's no other way to call it, really)
So if you were asked to classify DT's music would you say "Gothenburg sound"?

Yes I would. That's what I've heard and read in most critics and reviews and I believe it's the most specific way to describe it. Of course it doesn't give you a hint on what it sounds like but, once you've heard one band playing the "Gothenberg sound" you can easily point a few more (Arch Enemy, In Flames, Soilwork-early stuff...) In fact, on metal-archives.com, Gothenberg sound is part of the search engine as a musical style.