"Darker" than The Odyssey ¡?

The way MJR put it is that both V and The Odyssey have a 'triumphant' (his word) tone/feel to much of them, & he wants this new one to be darker than that.

As I've mentioned before, MJR okays everything before it goes on the site, & he only checks his e-mail every 6 weeks or so, so sometimes it takes a while for him to get to stuff that's in his mailbox. Relax..if he wants it on the site, it'll go up there eventually.

popetot said:
I guess by 'triumphant' he means cheesy ...
So the new cd will be progressive Pantera or what ...? That's okay with me.
I'm going to have to disagree with both points.
Symphony X isn't really cheesy with the triumphant stuff (especially on V and Odyssey). And I don't see why Romeo wants to change this - I LOVE the triumphant sound.

And I wouldn't like SX being prog Pantera - I like them being Symphony X. If the new CD is an entire album of Wicked, Incantations, and King of Terrors sort of songs (which is what it has sounded like for a while now)... then I hope they take the word "Symphony" out of their name. But I'm sure they'll keep the melodic element. I hope.

If their sound becomes darker, I could live with it. But I definitely don't want them forgetting the symphonic element. This CAN be done in a darker context--think Stravinsky's Rite of Spring or Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, for two obvious examples.

But as long as they don't start doing like some metal bands and write obscene/disgusting lyrics just to score easy points with a certain segment of the metal fanbase, I think I'll be cool with it.

Rose Immortal said:
But as long as they don't start doing like some metal bands and write obscene/disgusting lyrics just to score easy points with a certain segment of the metal fanbase, I think I'll be cool with it.

Yeah but this is Symphony X we're talking about, not a certain band whos guitarist likes wearing eyeliner and black nailpolish and thinks he's better than John Petrucci, so I don't think we have anything to worry about :)

Most SyX fans I meet disagree with me about this... and understandably so... but, in my opinion the songwriting really got bumped up about 12 notches on "The Odyssey." That includes the heavy stuff, AND the big "cheesey" prog opus at the end. So while we're all speculating about what darker means, I'd like to go on record as saying that it's probably just a term that reflects the band's growth as a songwriting team.

They've done enough dark symphonic music in their history that I hardly think they'd ever cut it out of the repetoire. I'm willing to bet it just means the band is progressing.

Jax said:
The way MJR put it is that both V and The Odyssey have a 'triumphant' (his word) tone/feel to much of them, & he wants this new one to be darker than that.

The way I see it is...MJR is f 'ing with our heads.
Darker than a "triumphant tone/feel". UhHuh......:Spin:
Hmmmmmmm..... aren't we intrigued !!!????????????????????? :headbang:

Rose Immortal said:
If their sound becomes darker, I could live with it. But I definitely don't want them forgetting the symphonic element. This CAN be done in a darker context--think Stravinsky's Rite of Spring or Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, for two obvious examples.

Totally agree.

edit...

I just noticed that Luis was listening to Aladdin when he first posted. Is that the same song from the Disney movie?...because that song is so metal!

Yeah but this is Symphony X we're talking about, not a certain band whos guitarist likes wearing eyeliner and black nailpolish and thinks he's better than John Petrucci, so I don't think we have anything to worry about
Haha... those crazy Finns. The thread about this on the forum of JP himself was enough fun, so I won't start a flame war here.

Most SyX fans I meet disagree with me about this... and understandably so... but, in my opinion the songwriting really got bumped up about 12 notches on "The Odyssey."
I'm one of those fans that disagrees. A lot of them were just simple, heavy riffs and mega-fast solos that seem like they had a lot less effort put into them than the ones on DwoT, Twilight, and V.

Lyrically it was better than great, but musically... I don't blame Pinella for making a solo CD, 'cause they didn't even need him for half the songs on The Odyssey.

Yngvai X said:
Yeah but this is Symphony X we're talking about, not a certain band whos guitarist likes wearing eyeliner and black nailpolish and thinks he's better than John Petrucci, so I don't think we have anything to worry about :)

Haven't heard about this but it sounds like your describing Alexi Laiho :err:

OfSinsAndShred said:
Lyrically it was better than great, but musically... I don't blame Pinella for making a solo CD, 'cause they didn't even need him for half the songs on The Odyssey.

hahahaha... I remember listening to the Odyssey and thinking "Pinellaaaaa! Where are youuuu???"

But I must disagree on the lyric thing. They weren't that great in The Odyssey. I miss Tom Miller's lyrics.

Beelzebub said:
hahahaha... I remember listening to the Odyssey and thinking "Pinellaaaaa! Where are youuuu???"

But I must disagree on the lyric thing. They weren't that great in The Odyssey. I miss Tom Miller's lyrics.
Tom Miller's lyrics were just incredible. But I really loved some of the lyrical stuff on the Odyssey (excluding the title track). The second verse of Wicked comes immediately to mind.

Now that I think about it, most of the awesome lyrics I can think of are from other albums. Okay, I suck at thinking and posting.

I don't listen to The Odyssey very much, either. That was my first SymX album, and seriously, it almost caused me to never try their albums again. If not for V, its amazing cover art and even better songwriting, I would've never discovered the rest of their stuff.

Now, The Odyssey's grown on me a bit more, but I do think that in terms of songwriting and style, it's weaker than the others, thanks to the lack of orchestral elements. At least the self-titled you can excuse it due to inexperience, but on The Odyssey, you have to hope it's not going to continue like that.

The one definitely good thing Odyssey has going for it is that the sound quality suddenly gets WAY better than it's ever been before. I find myself wondering if Pinnella got a new synth, because things sound more realistic all of a sudden.

Heh, I loved Tom Miller's bass playing...if you ask me Mike Lepond can't compare...either way, I thought that my 3 favorite songs on DWoT were far better written than those on Odyssey - Sea of Lies>Inferno, Accolade>Accolade II (interestingly I like Accolade II better) and DWoT>Odyssey. Darker? I'll be fine with that, but the Symphony element MUST stay if I'm gonna keep liking them.

I disagree with a lot of you. I think the entire Odyssey album is amazing. They may have repeated a lot of straight up metal riffs in some of their songs, but they composed them really well. I mean, I love the intro to King of Terrors and how the song have the mystical synth in the background, you got love that.

I take the lyrics more on a personal interpretation so I don't think they are cheesy at all. Accolade II is an awesome song and composed PERFECTLY. I love the ahh ahh's in the first pre-chorus, and love the bridge/solo sections. So what if they sound like metal songs, they composed them with their own style.

I really do hope Romeo makes the cd darker, since that is how I view S-X's masterpieces in the first place. Making it darker will probably make the songs not sound too power metal like some dragonforce or rhapsody, (I don't really like the happy happy moods too much, although a mixture of dark/happy is fine with me). I wanna hear brutal metal with a mixture of symphonic/progressive material. I really hope they still use their crazy time signatures, wicked soloing, and best of all, amazing composition.