Darkflight/Ars Moriendi split

Oak Knoll

Oak Knoll Productions
May 17, 2002
Attleboro, MA USA
www.oak-knoll.com
This is to start off the talks about the Darkflight split on Oak Knoll/Foreshadow Productions. So far we have Quercus in mind for the split. Ivo (DF) has the music to Aruzz(FS Prod) for mastering. Quercus is sending music to Aruzz. Who will be doing the layout and artwork? We are looking for a early release in 2006, right?

Oak Knoll said:
This is to start off the talks about the Darkflight split on Oak Knoll/Foreshadow Productions. So far we have Quercus in mind for the split. Ivo (DF) has the music to Aruzz(FS Prod) for mastering. Quercus is sending music to Aruzz. Who will be doing the layout and artwork? We are looking for a early release in 2006, right?
earlier release for jan/feb 2006 sounds great to me... i hope the other guys will manage to finish their songs until 15th of december...
as for the artwork i'll try to find something, but it won't be easy!:)

Oak Knoll said:
I have artists I can invite here.. but it's up to you guys.. unless Ivo wants to do it all? artwork & layout or we can reommend people by mentioning it here.
if you have someone in mind don't hesitate to invite him here or if possible give me a link with stuff that i could check out?
i know that this will be difficult, i spoke sometime ago with aruzz and he told me that maybe is better to have only one artwork for both bands and also it must be approved by both sides... he also mentioned of doing something...
dunno, what do you think - 1 art for both bands or 2 separate? what will be the booklet parameters?

if both bands agree I think one artist would make it easier. I'm sure we can all decide on something all together (consensus). booklet parameters - I'd recommend a booklet with 2 pages - 4 panels. color on the outside , b&w inside.. 1 sided insert with color back. small # color cd face. If you need more space we can adjust and add a page.

Oak Knoll said:
if both bands agree I think one artist would make it easier. I'm sure we can all decide on something all together (consensus). booklet parameters - I'd recommend a booklet with 2 pages - 4 panels. color on the outside , b&w inside.. 1 sided insert with color back. small # color cd face. If you need more space we can adjust and add a page.
ok, i think that's perfect for a split release... what about the release time frame, did you speak with aruzz? he told me earlier months 2006 is impossible for him...

If Ivo isn't happy with a release date in April should we be looking at other bands? Will this collaboration with Aruzz work for this split? I know I have 2 releases potentially in Jan/Feb but having someone split half the costs makes is easy for me to make it happen. Aruzz, what are your constraints? time? money? bands? Thanks for filling us in.

Oak Knoll said:
Does this mean we need to change plans?.
the change of plans is already a fact, as it's confirmed now, the second band for that split is the french ARS MORIENDI and as far as the co-release collaboration goes the other label funding it is DEADSUN RECORDS...
it's too bad that we couldn't do it with Foreshadow at this time, but still we have that wonderfull tribute cd coming and who knows in future we could do something else :)...
Jeremy you told me to keep you in track of things here, i just got email from my suiss friend Manuel Kempter, he says "Would love to participate in the mastering process of your tunes!" we'll have to organize one more MSN group chat to specify some more details...

What does Ars Moriendi sound like? Kinda curious..

Tancred said:
the change of plans is already a fact, as it's confirmed now, the second band for that split is the french ARS MORIENDI and as far as the co-release collaboration goes the other label funding it is DEADSUN RECORDS...
it's too bad that we couldn't do it with Foreshadow at this time, but still we have that wonderfull tribute cd coming and who knows in future we could do something else :)...
Jeremy you told me to keep you in track of things here, i just got email from my suiss friend Manuel Kempter, he says "Would love to participate in the mastering process of your tunes!" we'll have to organize one more MSN group chat to specify some more details...

jeremy, you told me to keep you informed about the split's progress... we spoke long time with thomas todayhe told me that march is the month for pressing/release,i hope it's ok by you, he assured me that there will be no delays :)
also he wants to talk to you about the positioning on the cd, i think he wants to put AM to start the cd, i told him it's up to you, you both decide it and i will respect your opinion...

March I guess is fine.. it's more of an issue for you I thought to release it earlier. I'm fine with whenever you want (as long at it's after December). Also I think for many reasons you should be 1st on the cd:
  • Darkflight is known more
  • Your sound is more polished and a less chaotic which could appease people quicker
  • Althought I'm really becoming a big fan of AM - I still like your music more (no offense to AM)
  • You are the veteran musician with a previous release - we are taking less of a chance having you up front, first impressions usually are the most important

I'll talk to Thomas soon about this when I see him online again.
Don't get me wrong - I really like AM and want them on this split and would consider working with him more in the future also but I think this is the best plan and hope Thomas can see this.

We are debating these issues
  1. Who should be first on the split.. DF or AM? My vote was DF
  2. how should we make the split covers.. like the Shroud/WS split? that was my vote but AM said they don't mind having their cover on the back booklet
  3. barcode and record label names being on the back (Thomas from the other label said it was ok to have our label logos in the inside of the booklet- I definately want it on the outside for all to see)

Ok , so most everything is resolved.. except issue #1 (who should come first on the cd). The graphic artist is starting soon - we spoke to him online the other day. Maybe he can join us here in the forum (IVO can we invite him)?